The Unofficial List of Good mATX Motherboards (Overclocking and Not)

Upcoming G45 GA-G45M-DS2H:)
06G45M-DS2H.jpg

http://www.tomshardware.com/cn/277,news-277.html

umm damm that looks sexy. ;p that's a very cool case. hmmm... true htpc eh?

I wonder how that ICH10 is? I havent read anything about it yet. Looking forward to seeing the BIOS too. You planning on getting either mobo to test, Pvhk?

maybe why not!
not sure it will perfom better than the p5E-VM HDMI in term of fsb wise...

Is that a Thermalright HR-05 with a fan from an Intel socket 370 retail box HSF?

Hopefully it wont have the high death rate like the F-I90HD.

High death rate....:eek:...and here is was about to buy one, i may have to rethink about that one. Is it dieing because people are overclocking it while using the onboard video or something else.

this new board rocks! There is no reason to behave like the f-i90hd...
concerning he high death rate of the f-i90hd: it was mainly due to a weak ram power circuitry: leaving vDDR at stock was & is necessary! That's the reason why my second board is still alive....

ok that explains alot. im planing on building a new computer and have my parts inorder, when i heard of the death rate of the f-i90hd, i started to lean towards the P5E-vm hdmi. should i reconsider and go with the f-i90hd with G.skill 2x1gb (2kits) http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16820231098. intel c2d e6550. pvhk I know you test alot of these board so you should know alot better than me :p will this ram work with the f-i90hd as long as i keep the ram at stock voltage and don't/will not be using the onboard video. my build is mostly going to be a gaming machine, i will run it at stock settings then later i will overclock it, then move on to the g45 chipset in the future.

thanks
winhyun

crucial value pc5300 or ballistix 5300: concerning the last, even if they are rated @2.2v: they work flawlessly @1.8v 5-5-5-15... And remember : the f-i90hd allows to lock ram @266/333 or 400 whatever fsb used....

yes ;)

BTW: the new ballistix tracer 5300 2x1Gb (without clip) single side are not compatible with this mb: no boot! Not the case with the old ballistix 5300 (DS )
I would recommend crucial value 5300 for sure

im an old AMD/DFI overclocker, and never had much luck with crucial brands, they always died on me. but you know wayyy more than me on this mobo and intel build " I have seen your screenies of ur overclock on this board" :p . ok so i have narrowed it down to 2 types of ram, the G-Skill is out.
will go with (2x1GB) crucial ballistix model:bl2kit12864aa663 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146567
or the OCZ Reaper HPC edition (2x2GB) model:eek:cz2rpr800c44gk "this one takes 2.1v" not sure if thats a bad thing for this mobo. http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16820227267
I may lean to ur advice and go with the crucial, its just a new type of build for me being so used to building and OCing AMD, there so much differant.

Many people have had problems with the F-I90 HD dying while running stock. Its high death rate isnt just with overclocking. Its your money but my advice is to avoid the F-I90 HD altogether. ABIT really should pull it from the market IMO.

new e7200: not that bad! :)
on abit f-i90hd:
e7200.jpg

still and always alive

on abit I-N73HD:
e72003990.jpg

Really looking great. Thanks!!!

This thread could use a nice little update. ;)

I have had a laptop for a year now but I have to get back to MATX. These lappys are ncie and protable but to game on a 15" and under is painful!

I really wish they would put the PCIE on the very end :(

Shame I am out of the country and stuck with this lappy. This board is on sale and you have convinced be on it. :(

4.0 GHz? Very nice! So if we go by past history the USA should get them in 2-3 weeks.

Edit: I just noticed this mobo is already out here in the states.

Hi is the Asus M2N-MX SE Plus good for overclocking even though its not on the list, because im gonna buy a $150 cpu/mobo/ram kit and im wanting to overclock the cpu (Athlon 64 3800+) for my mom.

similar to pvhk, i've gone through several systems recently:

1) abit f-i90hd...total dud...dead from the start brand new! :(

IMG_0015.jpg

2) evga 730i did not support 45nm cpus natively :(

3) xfx 730i was decent but lacked gpu power and had some weird network issues:

IMG_0004.jpg

4) p5k-vm - great board with nice overclocking..best value right now imho, but meh gpu:

IMG_0059.jpg

5) p5e-vm hdmi - very great overclocker but $$$. decent gpu at least although not to level of 780g or upcoming 8200....

IMG_0036.jpg

Btw, pvhk. You should start a seperate thread for that I-N73HD. Just in case people want more detailed info about it. It would make the info easier to find.

pvhk, could you check if the Abit I-N73HD works without the 8-pin connector? Thanks in advance.

pvhk, could you check if the Abit I-N73HD works without the 8-pin connector? Thanks in advance.
yes works both with either 4pins and 8pins!
However: there are some issue with some PSU:
-plug in the 8 pins connector with antec neopower 550w & corsair vx450 result in freeze under 3dmark06 when cpu is overclocked...
-no issue with antec phantom 350w (4pins), S12 II 380w (4pins) or M12 II 430w (8 pins)!
All tested by myself ;)

So this MB seems to works better with PSU having 2 rails 12v instead 1 rail or 4 rails 12v...
compatibility issue? maybe

@skott: probably...

Anyone know a good C2D 1333FSB mATX board that either supports PCIe/PCI locks w/FSB and voltage settings in BIOS OR BSEL pad mod + voltage in BIOS?
I found the Foxconn G33M will support the BSEL pad mod, but with mod in place it does a double-boot which increases boot time by 10-seconds and is probably not great for the hard drive. I'm almost thinking this is as good as it gets, but thought I'd make sure.

The list in the first post is quite old. :(

Anyone know a good C2D 1333FSB mATX board that either supports PCIe/PCI locks w/FSB and voltage settings in BIOS OR BSEL pad mod + voltage in BIOS?

Asus P5K-VM, available for around $105 shipped from Provantage.com (I bought another one yesterday for that shipped price). It uses a G33 chipset, has PCI-E lock, has FSB and voltage settings in BIOS, supports FSB1333 according to Intel (G33 chipset) and FSB1600 according to Asus (factory overclocked?).

Thanks, sounds like the P5K-VM could probably get my E4300 to 3GHz or beyond, but it seems the NB being overclocked may cause the IGP to not work, run hot, and some people reported issues with cold boot or reboot. Someone also mentioned it doesn't like 800FSB CPUs, I can only guess because running the NB at the 800 strap @ 1333FSB might be stressing it a bit. I may stick to the G33M because nothing is overclocked except the CPU and the NB runs cool to the touch so 10-seconds to the boot time is no big deal I suppose. It also only cost about $72 shipped after rebate (assuming I get the rebate).

The P5K-VM and G33M uses the exact same chipset, so what affects one will affect the other unless dealt with through BIOS optimizations. I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that on one board the NB will be overclocked while not on the other board.

I am fairly certain that the P5K-VM will be much more overclockable than the G33M.

In either case, I would suggest a FSB1066 BSEL mod on the chip just to make overclocking easier.

It's because the G33M supports the BSEL mod and I'm assuming the P5K-VM doesn't. I've never found an Asus board that will even POST with the BSEL mod in place. P5K-VM might be an exception, but I haven't seen anyone mention it.

The G33M has no problems at all with a 1333FSB BSEL mod on an 800FSB chip other than that annoying double-boot thing that adds 10-seconds to bootup. I currently already have a Foxconn G965 board that supports BSEL mod to 1066, but went to G33 to go to 1333 (new mobo is cheaper than new CPU).

Hmmm, I don't remember if I tried using a BSEL modded chip in the P5K-VM. However, you can just overclock in BIOS with the Asus board.

And in dire need of an update! ;)

+2

OMG, message was too short to post, LOL. Okay, how about some content...

Anyone been keeping up with the recent Fry's combo deals? Friend of mine just picked up an E7200 with ECS 7050 board for $130+tax last week. He said while there weren't many settings, the BIOS allowed an easy bump to 333MHz FSB with no fuss. He sold off his Fry's E4500/ECS 945GC combo which WAS a fussy overclocker (at minimum needed BSEL mod) and is pretty happy with the cheap upgrade. He didn't go into details on the BIOS because he basically set it to the higher speed and started using it. Anyone know details, such as voltage adjustments, etc?

Wow my thread is still around lol :D
Who are you? :confused:

I finally ditched the DS2R for the P5E and was able to overclock my chip another 150MHz (stable) and can actually run at overclocked speeds without it resetting 1 billion times. Long live ASUS. :cool:

Id love to see what you mATX nutters have found recently. :p

Im upgrading and am looking for a C2D with 'x4x' series intel chipset. some of my wish list items are:
- LGA775
- mATX
- eSATA ports
- PCIe v2.0 (even tho cards dont need the bandwidth yet)
- No LPT or serial ports taking up space
- good BIOS

Intel has the G45 now, not that mATX couldnt show up on P45, P43 but the G45 allows IGP (X4500HD).

Intels BOXDG45ID motherboard is the _only_ mATX G45 board i can find available in Australia. Supermicro use this chipset but it is on an ATX board and not available here.

Intel DG45ID

I have heard of Foxconn, Gigabyte, and MSI all getting gear ready for the G45.

Gigabyte seem to be the only one out of those employing the G45 on mATX!?!

I do agree that ATX boards should have some sort of rudimentary graphics adapter but as per usual mATX buyers like me are kept waiting forever for a decent selection.

-----

My Foxconn socket 939 6150K8MA-EKRS is still rockin'. I bought it when there werent any other boards with 939 and nVidia IGP. An excellent but now old board... so please everyone, revive this thread!!

Back