the use of retina?

maybe in some cases for sites, but it's all about the 1080p pr0n.

No, nothing will be worse in terms of screen image. This has all been done before. Look at the iPhone 4/4S. Both of those phone represent 4X the resolution of previous iPhones. Everything looks great on these devices. Your only question is whether to upgrade or not. If you're buying new, just get the 2012 model and be done.

Most web elements like text will look sharper since they're resolution independent (you can zoom in infinitely and it will still be sharp) . Image elements like pictures, pngs, jpegs, etc most likely won't look better, but they won't look worse either. I'm assuming the iPad 3 will try to render sites at 1024x768 (rendering sites at 2048x1536 will take full advantage of the resolution but will make everything extremely small looking)

Text will look better. I think low res images will look worse/jarring because your perception of how things should look will change.

Most web elements like text will look sharper since they're resolution independent (you can zoom in infinitely and it will still be sharp) . Image elements like pictures, pngs, jpegs, etc most likely won't look better, but they won't look worse either. I'm assuming the iPad 3 will try to render sites at 1024x768 (rendering sites at 2048x1536 will take full advantage of the resolution but will make everything extremely small looking)
The iPad 3's internal resolution is still 1024x768, it's just the scaling factor has changed to two. What that means is iOS handles the scaling, so everything benefits from the higher resolution -- in other words, every part of the website except media will benefit from the resolution.

For what it's worth, I'm upgrading from the iPad 1 to the iPad New specifically for the Retina display. The jump from the iPhone 3GS to iPhone 4 was amazing, and I expect much the same from the new iPad.

If you're buying a used iPad 2 at a good price, then it may be worth it. But if' you're considering $400 vs $500, the $100 is well spent on the new version.

It may take some time for site operators to update their assets for high DPI displays. Many will go through this process, but many won't.

If you're doing most of your web browsing in portrait mode, a small downscaling factor will be applied to most sites which target a ~960 pixel width, which should allow for images to be slightly sharper than they would be on an iPad 2. To get the full effect, though, you'll need to wait for site operators to update their image assets to (at least) double resolution.

The iPad 3's internal resolution is still 1024x768, it's just the scaling factor has changed to two. What that means is iOS handles the scaling, so everything benefits from the higher resolution -- in other words, every part of the website except media will benefit from the resolution.

Internal resolution? Please explain this.

There is only 1 resolution, which is screen resolution.

All reviews I've read so far claim the screen quality is exceptional. The same as upgrading to an iPhone 4/4S, or going from SDTV to HDTV. I can't wait.

Mobile Safari on the iPad 3 reports its viewport as 1024x768 (or 768x1024). If you were to run a script to detect the width of the viewport on an iPad 3 in portrait orientation, it would yield 768, not 1536.

Mobile Safari on the iPad 3 reports its viewport as 1024x768 (or 768x1024). If you were to run a script to detect the width of the viewport on an iPad 3 in portrait orientation, it would yield 768, not 1536.

Yep!

My biggest complaint with the iPad 1 and 2 was that the low resolution made viewing sites in portrait mode kind of an ugly experience, since most sites these days are optimized for 960 horizontal pixels. The extra DPI will make things look much nicer.

I read a lot of medical PDFs. On the iPad 1/2, these can sometimes be a little "grainy" looking if you display the whole page at once. With the iPad 3, this won't be the case. In fact, I won't be surprised if I'm able to tilt the tablet on its side and view two PDF pages at once with clarity

There is only 1 resolution, which is screen resolution.
If you query the device for its resolution from an app, it reports as 1024x768. If you query for the scaling factor it reports 2.

I read a lot of medical PDFs. On the iPad 1/2, these can sometimes be a little "grainy" looking if you display the whole page at once. With the iPad 3, this won't be the case. In fact, I won't be surprised if I'm able to tilt the tablet on its side and view two PDF pages at once with clarity

I don't think you'll be getting any more screen real estate. It will still be the same amount of text on the screen. Just much better looking.

I don't think you'll be getting any more screen real estate. It will still be the same amount of text on the screen. Just much better looking.

Well, most technical documents pages are basically illegible when you display the whole page on the iPad 2 (the fine print and graphics are basically a blurry mess). The retina resolution should for the most part fix this issue (probably require something closer to 600 dpi to match/surpass sharpness of print)

If you query the device for its resolution from an app, it reports as 1024x768. If you query for the scaling factor it reports 2.

Are you suggesting that it can't display an image (say a jpeg) at 2048x1536? I think you'll find out soon that's not the case...

It may be easier for legacy app support to report a lower res, but it can most definitely address each pixel individually.

Of course it can display a 2048x1536 image. All we're telling you is that Safari reports its device width (the resolution of its viewport) at 768 or 1024 — that's it. The display's resolution is 2048x1536 and can display whatever 2048x1536 content you want to display on it, including 2048x1536 images in Safari.

Are you suggesting that it can't display an image (say a jpeg) at 2048x1536? I think you'll find out soon that's not the case...

It may be easier for legacy app support to report a lower res, but it can most definitely address each pixel individually.
What I'm saying to you is that an app has nothing to do with supporting the higher resolution display. As far as the app is concerned the screen is 1024x768. It's the OS that automatically handles rendering content at a higher resolution, which means every app automatically supports the higher resolution (exception to OpenGL ES games, they run at the lower resolution until updated). So yes, it can display an image at 2048x1536.

Back