The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt: Official Thread

Took me about 40 hours just to get to Novigrad, lol. Checked out every ? on the map, did every side quest leading up to the city (and all the ?'s that I could manage being 2-3 times lower level than the monsters). And now in Novigrad, I just find myself running between vendors to win/buy all the cards, lol. I'm currently lvl15, and haven't gone very far with the main quest, either. :D I'm amazed at the amount of content in this game.

Exactly the same here.

Well, considering the times, I wouldn't be surprised if they really all were sick, half of them with aids and the other half with syphilis.

Lol I can see that, but it just seems excessive to me. At the end of the day it does not bother me enough to really bitch about it, just thought I would bring it up to see if it annoys other people as well.

Exactly the same here.
It took me around 20 or so hours to get to Novigrad. And I did everything on the map, as far as I could tell. I may need to go back and double check. I'm about 50 hours into the game now and I just got to Skellage. I did leave a few quest undone in Novigrad though, literally just a few Contracts that were way above my level. I will say that I have not done much of the card game. I've always found the side games in the Witcher series boring, but i feel that way about most RPGs.

I'm level 22.

Last edited:
I assumed they were all making those noises because they don't like non-humans.

I am only in Velen but I was also hoping/pretending all the kids I noticed looked the same were the same orphans. That red head girl is damn near everywhere. The adult vendors I guess I am usually hitting skip and looking for where the choices pop up.

Just pretend they are the same. It's a busy bunch of people!

The non-quest related NPCs don't bother me, but when you come across several doppelgangers of story related characters, it diminishes them and the overall immersion for me.

I got a crap ending. :( Word of advice... don't go sticking your pecker in everything that moves, you'll regret it!

..... I'm lvl 23 and spent like 120 hours on the game!

I am playing on Death March.... and I CONSTANTLY fight the higher level monsters. So maybe that's why... and that is according to the game. Which i heard is broken and so might not be accurate. But I don't doubt it's at least some what close.

Finally putting in some time. Enjoying the hell out of the game, but the lack of control modification is kind of lame. I might download one of the mods just to fix it.

I thought there was only a hand full of women you could bed, like 5 or 6. Including Triss and Yennifer, If you get punished for being what they have essentially sold as a fun perk in the other games, that really sucks. Hope I don't get the bad ending, I have slept with 3 women so far.

Some very bad people are after a person very dear to me. I must find her before they do. First thing on the agenda: do every chick.

This game is a bad trap for OCD types. Must...hit...every...question mark. ;)

Hmm, I must be slow as fuck at these games lol.

Steam says I've played 76 hours.

I've yet to make it to Novigrad.

I am still finishing up the Crones of Brookback Bog questline, still haven't finished the whole Bloody Barons storyline, got sidetracked finishing up sidequest, witcher contracts, treasure hunts, etc...

I'm only lv 12.

Took me about 40 hours just to get to Novigrad, lol. Checked out every ? on the map, did every side quest leading up to the city (and all the ?'s that I could manage being 2-3 times lower level than the monsters). And now in Novigrad, I just find myself running between vendors to win/buy all the cards, lol. I'm currently lvl15, and haven't gone very far with the main quest, either. :D I'm amazed at the amount of content in this game.

This game is a bad trap for OCD types. Must...hit...every...question mark. ;)

Is there a way to disable all the quest indicators? (Arrows towards objectives, indicators showing the beginning of quests, etc)

Is there a way to disable all the quest indicators? (Arrows towards objectives, indicators showing the beginning of quests, etc)
I doubt that. To me, this would turn the game into an unplayable mess. I think the game is too big to not have any pointers.

I thought there was only a hand full of women you could bed, like 5 or 6. Including Triss and Yennifer, If you get punished for being what they have essentially sold as a fun perk in the other games, that really sucks. Hope I don't get the bad ending, I have slept with 3 women so far.

Don't bang Triss if you want Yen, or vice versa. That's it. You can pork everything else.

I see a mod to enable a debug console. There may be ways to mess around in that. Explore and use with care and caution.

I doubt that. To me, this would turn the game into an unplayable mess. I think the game is too big to not have any pointers.

Are quests not well described? Typically you'd have some kind of description from the quest giver (i.e. "...You'll find him in the Microsoft Building on Lake Washington.") so that an arrow is not necessary. Call me weird, but it's a much more immersive experience for me if I have to open up my map and locate where they were talking about, maybe even explore some terrain to find it, vs just following an arrow which guides me there.

I mention removing all the ? marks so that stumbling across side quests feels more natural and one also wouldn't feel compelled to hit every mark on the map before moving on. I think it'd create much more natural and immersive exploration.

Agreed.
I also run 980 SLI, while pre 1.04 patch I got crashing in the inventory screen, I have not experienced any issues beyond that. However when I first started playing with all setting at max my GPU temps were inevitably hitting 90C+ no other game has had my cards get that hot, anyways taking "Foliage Distance" down one notch has me floating in the mid 70's after hours of play, never touching even 80c. This may have been a bug, but my point is those high temps may be effecting your setup and causing your instability issues.

Moving on to my own personally rant. Let me start by saying I love this game and have none of the objective issues most people have mentioned in this forum, besides the pretty terrible movement/controls (improving though), but there is a quest in Skellage where you have the opportunity to bed this particular warrior maiden by defeating her in combat. The dialogue in the quest was pretty good for such a trivial matter and it stood out to me in a good way, but then I explored Skellage more to find there are about half a dozen NPCs that look exactly like her! this was a big issue for me in previous Witcher games and it totally diminished the experience. Now, i know this is a common flaw in a lot of games of this scale, but damn I thought after two games they would get that right. This is over all a minor disappointment I have with the game, but I'm curious what you guys think about this particular flaw when it comes to relatively well written side quests in general where an identity has been established for a character and then to be reduced in this manner.

I apologize for my grammar and long winded comments in advance.

Are you at novigrad? I heard that cutting the witcher hair creates the crash problem.
If I disable nvidia gameworks no crash at all.
Do you use long or short hair?

Are quests not well described? Typically you'd have some kind of description from the quest giver (i.e. "...You'll find him in the Microsoft Building on Lake Washington.") so that an arrow is not necessary. Call me weird, but it's a much more immersive experience for me if I have to open up my map and locate where they were talking about, maybe even explore some terrain to find it, vs just following an arrow which guides me there.

I mention removing all the ? marks so that stumbling across side quests feels more natural and one also wouldn't feel compelled to hit every mark on the map before moving on. I think it'd create much more natural and immersive exploration.
A map would have to be redone, IMO, and some other map markers would have to be added instead and/or area names. Looking for the MS Building on Lake Washington is fine, if you know which one is Lake Washington.

Most recently I did a quest in Novigrad. I had to meet with a merchant during the day at the market. Great. I went to the first market I stumbled upon, only to find myself at the wrong place. Unless the quest was rewritten to say "go to the market at the corner of Jackson and Michigan" and then added street names to the map... sure, I'd be able to find it. But markets aren't marked on the map, so stumbling on to the right market, and speaking to the right merchant at the right time without the markers would border on impossible, IMO. But, I digress. To each their own.

A map would have to be redone, IMO, and some other map markers would have to be added instead and/or area names. Looking for the MS Building on Lake Washington is fine, if you know which one is Lake Washington.

Most recently I did a quest in Novigrad. I had to meet with a merchant during the day at the market. Great. I went to the first market I stumbled upon, only to find myself at the wrong place. Unless the quest was rewritten to say "go to the market at the corner of Jackson and Michigan" and then added street names to the map... sure, I'd be able to find it. But markets aren't marked on the map, so stumbling on to the right market, and speaking to the right merchant at the right time without the markers would border on impossible, IMO. But, I digress. To each their own.

Thanks for writing this out. You've answered my question exactly. It sounds like they developed the quests and map and everything with markers in mind. Pity, really, IMO. Same thing which happened from Morrowind > Oblivion/Skyrim. I added a mod to Skyrim which removed quest markers. All was going well until i realized they hadn't marked shit on the default map. Replaced it too and made it better... except then too many quests lacked any descriptions at all because they just counted on you following a damn arrow. Really takes away the sense of actually solving a quest yourself.

Immersion and actual quest solving which requires thinking seems to be a thing of the past :(

At least Enderal should provide this kind of experience when it comes out.

Thanks for writing this out. You've answered my question exactly. It sounds like they developed the quests and map and everything with markers in mind. Pity, really, IMO. Same thing which happened from Morrowind > Oblivion/Skyrim. I added a mod to Skyrim which removed quest markers. All was going well until i realized they hadn't marked shit on the default map. Replaced it too and made it better... except then too many quests lacked any descriptions at all because they just counted on you following a damn arrow. Really takes away the sense of actually solving a quest yourself.

Immersion and actual quest solving which requires thinking seems to be a thing of the past :(

At least Enderal should provide this kind of experience when it comes out.

Actually, many contracts and quest givers do mention specific locations or general areas. That's why the game puts the contracts in your inventory. The locations are marked on the map for your convenience. I think it's most justified in Novigrad since the city is gigantic and there are easily over a hundred buildings. With dozens of quests that require you to go to very specific locations, I'd imagine it would be exceedingly frustrating for a lot of players if they only had to follow an NPCs directions for everything.

And I can easily justify it in-game because Geralt has been to Novigrad before, so he probably knows his way around anyway.

I do feel like POIs should be turned off by default, though. Exploration is better when you're not just heading straight towards every single question mark on the map.

In addition, this is a huge game. 150+ hours if you do everything. Imagine how much longer it would take the average player without these 'helper' features.

I'm fine if they gave the option to turn off the markers, but I for one prefer the guidance. I got better things to do then wander the wilderness for 40years. I'm not mf'ing moses nor do I want my gaming experience to be like that.

If it was some kind of VR game that had a good first person perspective than it might make sense, but it's 3rd person with hints. I would toss the game in the trash if they didn't provide the pointers and orange colored areas of interest. Also as stated, they would have to redo the whole game if they went with a more "realistic" wander around methodology for questing. People would just tape their witcher senses button/trigger down so they don't missing something accidentally.

Anyways, I think the game is done well as is. Of course everybody is entitled to their own opinion.

eh, the quest markers are a necessity in this game. The quests have multiple parts, and may start somewhere with different steps in different places. It would be impossible to manage if you had to "remember" or "search" for the next quest destination each time.

that was what I thought, but Novigrad and velen are the same map/zone

I know where it is, but I haven't actually stepped foot in the city yet or had any quest link me to it yet.

No, there's a lot of quests that have little/no means to acutally find them unless you have hte waypoint.

I mean for example, the Ladies of the Woods quest you get from Midcopse. You'd assume it'd be near that village? Nope, it's across the bloody river on the other side of the map almost.

A lot of the quest dialogue doesn't really tell you how to find the specific area or get there from where you get it, not to mention the quests you get that simply "mark a location" on your map.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who feels this way. Seems like such a simple thing to fix.

Another small annoyance I have is the disgusting sounding villagers, why is everyone always hacking up a lung like they all are sick or something. I guess this comes from me being annoyed by these sounds in real life, but damn if they don't sound gross. It's especially bad In Novigrad.../rant.

They're spitting at you. Seriously.

Just wondering how some people did the Ladies in the Wood quest and what your thoughts are on the consequences?

I ended up freeing the tree spirit. The consequences of course are the Baron's Wife (Gran) and himself, along with the village of Downwarren or whatever.

However reading about the other choice it seems the baron/his wife survive but the children get eaten by the crones.

I see a lot of people saying this is the better choice (helping the crones and killing the spirit in the tree).....but how?

I mean, the Baron is an asshole, he beat his wife, his men are thugs who constantly harass the villagers and demand payments.

The villagers in Downwarren send their freaking kids to the crones to be EATEN by them.

So I have no qualms about making that choice, on one hand you save the innocents who had no hand in it and the other hand you save a bunch of despicable people who have no backbone and are too scared to save themselves.

The general idea is that you were intruding in their customs.
If they were fine with the situation, who were you to judge? And arguably the consequences of the decision you made are worse for everyone overall.

Breaking eggs to make omelets, etc.

Just wondering how some people did the Ladies in the Wood quest and what your thoughts are on the consequences?

I ended up freeing the tree spirit. The consequences of course are the Baron's Wife (Gran) and himself, along with the village of Downwarren or whatever.

However reading about the other choice it seems the baron/his wife survive but the children get eaten by the crones.

I see a lot of people saying this is the better choice (helping the crones and killing the spirit in the tree).....but how?

I mean, the Baron is an asshole, he beat his wife, his men are thugs who constantly harass the villagers and demand payments.

The villagers in Downwarren send their freaking kids to the crones to be EATEN by them.

So I have no qualms about making that choice, on one hand you save the innocents who had no hand in it and the other hand you save a bunch of despicable people who have no backbone and are too scared to save themselves.

I made the same choice you did and it was because it was children involved. Neither choice ends up good, its pretty much the lesser of two evils on that quest and there are a lot of those in the game.

Its a dark, gritty, shitty world, and there's not much of a "happy ending" for anyone, cept maybe the patrons of the whore houses. :p

I'm betting good money that (assuming I ever get there at this rate), even the "best" ending is going to be overshadowed by something awful. But, since I keep getting distracted by side quests it will be a long time before I see it still.

Actually killing the spirit yields the better ending because the quest about Baron himself and his family, Witchers have no interest in political and social matters surrounding them unless paid to do so. You also fail the quest in a way.

I chose to free the spirit. Now that I have a daughter, I'm all against the decision to have children eaten by the Crones. Someday, I hope they'll release a DLC for me to go back & defeat the Crones for the crap they've done.

Actually killing the spirit yields the better ending because the quest about Baron himself and his family, Witchers have no interest in political and social matters surrounding them unless paid to do so. You also fail the quest in a way.

While true in general, I thought (And I may be mistaken here) that it was what separated Geralt from many other Witchers, that he does sometimes let his "emotions" through and develop bonds with people and goes that extra mile for them.

So do you guys think this game has much replay value ? I'm about 90hrs in and cant see myself restarting once I finish.

I chose to free the spirit. Now that I have a daughter, I'm all against the decision to have children eaten by the Crones. Someday, I hope they'll release a DLC for me to go back & defeat the Crones for the crap they've done.

Ehh you don't need a DLC for that.

In the bald mountain main quest after the battle at Kaer Morhen. You and Ciri team up and go back to Velen up in bald mountain to kill the Crones and Imreleth. You play as Ciri first and you kill 2 of the 3 Crones, one escapes by ripping Vesemir's witcher dogtag off Ciri is/was wearing. Geralt will defeat Imreleth up on the mountain, one of Eredins general.

If you get any of the happy endings with Ciri after she defeats the White Frost then nothing explains what happened to the 3rd Crone that escaped. Most likely she returns back to Crookback Bogs.

However if you trigger the bad ending based on negative decisions you made throughout the half game after the Kaer Morhen battle with Ciri, she loses hope (goes to sad moments in her cutscenes) and she doesn't return after her battle with the White Frost, the end becomes in-conclusive and the player decides what happens to her. Geralt will feel sad and the final quest before the ending, you will go back to Crookback Bogs to find and kill the last Crone. After killing her a cut scene triggers with Geralt finding Vesemir's witcher dogtag necklace and the game ends there with Geralt extremely sad and is then swamped by drowners and other monsters.

While true in general, I thought (And I may be mistaken here) that it was what separated Geralt from many other Witchers, that he does sometimes let his "emotions" through and develop bonds with people and goes that extra mile for them.

Depends though, I'm going by the way the book describes Geralt and his surroundings since I've read them all (ones that have been translated) and played all the games.

Last edited:
So do you guys think this game has much replay value ? I'm about 90hrs in and cant see myself restarting once I finish.

I will be restarting mine since I fucked up the import save file from my Witcher 2 ending sparing Letho. Could not do one of the Letho quest in W3 due to the wrong save file imported. Fucking bullshit.

Will be downloading some mods from Nexus to see what the fuss is about.

Good to know its already in the game. I'm clueless about anything past Novigrad since that's where I'm doing quests at the moment.

Good to know its already in the game. I'm clueless about anything past Novigrad since that's where I'm doing quests at the moment.

Yeah just make sure you make at least 2/4 right decisions in the exchange dialog with Ciri before, during and after the Kaer Morhen battle and you'd be fine for a good ending. There is a spoiler post I made 2 pages back concerning the decisions needed for a good ending with Ciri.

Back