The Witcher

My game runs fine at 1366 x 768 maxed out w/ 8800gt 169.09 beta vista 32

The only time it seemed to crash was when I was trying to get x-fi alchemy to work.

oh yeah - I forgot to say.. I had a serious issue where one of my video cards was clocked at 198/1188 core/shader (should have been 616/1558) so because SLI needs both cards to be the same clocks, the slower card was dragging the other down with it while in 3d mode.. I finally noticed it by running 3d mark and then using everest to examine all the clocks. I fixed the issue by removing all traces of rivatuner from the system and registry, then some intensive driver cleaning... I think it happened when I tried OCing the SLI card pair by selecting the wrong card in rivatuner, it asked to reboot to read the clocks, which is never did before, then it had a failed clock read attempt after the reboot... anyways..

now things are humming along like crazy.. everything maxed at 1920x1080 with AA on.. looks pretty nice... but I think Oblivion's environment still looks nicer.. and the freedom of movement in the environment is so much nicer... but the witcher story is better.. oh well! just a couple of mentionables..

anyone else get bogged down a crap ton in the trade district, specifically around where are the merchants are? I seem to notice my FPS goin crazy all over in the game, hopefully the patch stabilizes it.

now things are humming along like crazy.. everything maxed at 1920x1080 with AA on.. looks pretty nice... but I think Oblivion's environment still looks nicer.. and the freedom of movement in the environment is so much nicer... but the witcher story is better.. oh well! just a couple of mentionables..

Definitely agree. I'm not too far in to the game, but the story is keeping me in to it much more than the game play. I'm not a fan of the combat system sometimes, seems a bit buggy under certain circumstances, and having to wait so long for a "quick"save and load gets annoying...but hopefully the patch fixes it!

Also, I'm running just one 8800GTX and it runs fine at 1920x1200 with AA.

I'm at the swamps right now (I'm playing the game little chunks at a time) and the frame rate has taken a nosedive. Must be all the trees.

I get around 40 to 60 FPS in Vizima maxed out (no AA) 1680x1050, but around 20 to 30 FPS in the swamps. The game is still playable, though.

anyone else get bogged down a crap ton in the trade district, specifically around where are the merchants are? I seem to notice my FPS goin crazy all over in the game, hopefully the patch stabilizes it.

It does just a little bit for me. Up until then it was silky smooth except for the Beast fight that, for whatever reason, felt slightly slower.

Normally my fps is 30 minimum in the cities, and 50 outdoors. Except for the merchant area in the Trade District. It will bounce around from 10-30 in that area. I am really thinking that they just coded this game really bad.

well, I think they took the aurora engine where it didn't want to go.. lol. it's kind of an older engine and they supercharged it with speed tree and lots of other bells and whistles.. as I was saying before, oblivion's environment looks as nice if not nicer in many areas... not character models, but environment detail and ability to move freely within and interact with the environment while still performing extremely well.. but this game feels very static to me at times (feel nailed to the floor, confined movement areas) and doesn't perform at the same levels.. imo. plus the save times are annoyingly long.. yeah.. that also.. but the super deep and intriguing story is kick ass... plus it does look very pretty also.. at times very very pretty.. the lighting is awesome.. expecially at sunset.. the reflecting light off the buildings and shadowy areas look super realistic.. and the sexcapades rock also.. lawl. :D

I really love Mr. Straight Arm. Apparently people lock their arms straight when they aren't moving. Look at someone who is wearing short sleeves and you will see. :p

How does Witcher compare to Oblivion? I really want to try it out but don't want to waste $50 on it like I did with Oblivion ( I think it was a good game, just not my cup of tea).

I played through Oblivion and I didn't really get into it. I didn't like the complicated leveling system and it was almost *too* open. I had no idea who I could talk to to get interesting quests. Run around talking to people at random to see what they had to say was not fun to me.

The Witcher is a bit less open ended and gives you a better direction. It also is really easy to pick up side quests as well.

As far as leveling goes, it is similar to Oblivion, but not nearly as complicated.

The Witcher is vastly superior to Oblivion. It plays and feels like a true RPG game of old, inspired by the great RPG games we used to get years ago.

Whereas Oblivion was just a GrandTheftAuto game in a medievial skin, but lacked neither the fun of a GTA game nor the feel of a proper RPG. Sadly most of us and most reviewers were blinded by Oblivion's visuals, that we didn't realise at first how shallow and pointless the game actually was.

The Witcher is vastly superior to Oblivion. It plays and feels like a true RPG game of old, inspired by the great RPG games we used to get years ago.

Whereas Oblivion was just a GrandTheftAuto game in a medievial skin, but lacked neither the fun of a GTA game nor the feel of a proper RPG. Sadly most of us and most reviewers were blinded by Oblivion's visuals, that we didn't realise at first how shallow and pointless the game actually was.

Burn in hell you blasphemer!!!

I played Oblivion for 30 hours and it was a great gaming experience, but soon as I closed the gates and finished the main quest line it went downhill fun wise. Witcher although with less freedom has that "can't wait to see what happens if I finish this quest next" type feel to it.

I like the Witcher better than Oblivion. It's much more focused, and the best part of it is the main quest. This is in stark contrast to Oblivion, where the best series of quests was for the Dark Brotherhood (a group of assassins that you could join and rise up through the ranks of and completely unrelated to the main story). Even though one of The Witcher's weakest points is the combat system, I still prefer it to Oblivion's system, which just felt odd. Oblivion does win if you're just looking at sheer content/time invested though. I would rather play a shorter game that was consistently great than a longer game that wasn't as consistently good.

The only negative on Witcher IMO, is the loading and how long you wait between large levels. The devs are working on the issue though, so hopefully this will become a non issue after the patch.

On the positive side, I love the adult themed story and the entertaining quests. I didnt like the fighting system at first, but now I really enjoy it. Drinking, playing dice, whores, and the sword play are a few of the other things that make the game special for me.

QFT

After Oblivion and Two Worlds I started losing faith in all those sandbox "crpg" games. They're fun for some time, but after you learn the game mechanics they start to suck. Also , all those posts with Oblivion screenshots with women dressed in custom, usually idiotic looking pseudo-armor (you know, the they-can-pierce-my-liver-and-cut-out-my-kidneys-but-they-wont-get-to-my-tits armor) made me sad. It was supposed to be a fucking cRPG, not a source for idiotic screenshots :rolleyes: A single quest in The Witcher (let's say, the one with the party where you can invite a friend) is more interesting and rpg-feeling than whole Oblivion's main quest.

BUT, I'm waiting for a patch. The game sometimes crashes for me, therefore the constant need for saving kinda ruins the immersion. Load times suck too... We'll see after the next patch.

Ahhh, one more thing. Am I the only one who LOVES the fact that you can carry only small items with you (and a limited ammount of them) and that magic items are almost non-existent?

Ahhh, one more thing. Am I the only one who LOVES the fact that you can carry only small items with you (and a limited ammount of them) and that magic items are almost non-existent?

I love that too. It gets rid of that pack-mule mentality.

just finished the game i supported the order for the most part along the way and shani as my girl good ending but left me wonsdering somewhat abotu some stuff

The Witcher has to be one of the best RPGs I have ever had the pleasure of playing. I love the pack system and the rarity of magical items. I like the invisibility of the rules (unlike D&D based games). I actually enjoyed the combat system even though it was not the main appeal of the game.

But what I enjoyed above all is that even though you have many choices to make during the course of the game, each choice feels like it will really affect your game (regardless of whether it does or not) and despite what you end up choosing, it feels as if the game was "meant" to be played that way.

I only played it through once and chose not to affiliate with any group, as they were both turds. I am about to start my second play through and will try to take radically different paths. I highly recommend playing on the hardest difficulty, my main complaint was that the game was too easy on medium difficulty.

i agree at the end i was basically unstoppable with a vitality doubling potion. 2k plus hp

think i will play again supporting other path finish some quests i didnt the first time and maybe play on hard. after the beast figth in act 1 i never really had another hard fight... except that kochavey thing he was kinda tuff.

max out ard and the world is your BItch

i agree at the end i was basically unstoppable with a vitality doubling potion. 2k plus hp

think i will play again supporting other path finish some quests i didnt the first time and maybe play on hard. after the beast figth in act 1 i never really had another hard fight... except that kochavey thing he was kinda tuff.

max out ard and the world is your BItch

Aard is ridiculous when maxed.

ya i assume on hard it says u need potions to winsome fights.. makes me think black blood may become needed along with see invis i never found a use for either during the game.

Gonna wait for 1.2 patch and go againefinately best game of the year. best rpg i have ever played easy. mostly for story and making you want to keep playing. really hope they make a franchise and more games with this world. hard to find adult worlds that dont get pg 13 dumb downs any more.

Anyone think there will be a "patch" to convert the US version to the EU version? Or do you have to purchase the EU version?

Anyone know where the EU version can be purchased?

EDIT: Just got the EU version from GoGamer.com for the same price as the US version. I wonder if I'll be able to copy over my saves....

I just picked up my copy today. I was going to wait for the demo and/or patch (this month) but I just couldn't wait. I am glad I didn't as it is very good and I've only played ~25 minutes. :D

This has probably already been stated, but to bad Euro version > US version. (didn't feel like reading all 18 pages)

I just picked up my copy today. I was going to wait for the demo and/or patch (this month) but I just couldn't wait. I am glad I didn't as it is very good and I've only played ~25 minutes. :D

Agreed, I was nervous about picking up the game without playing a demo because I didn't really get into Oblivion. But I'm in Chapter 2 and I think the game is great. Only thing that could have been a little better was the voice acting. Playing it at 1080p on a 37" adds a lot.

The euro version should be arriving tomorrow, I just hope I can transfer my saves over.

I'm really loving the "meat and potatoes" of this game...easily one of the best RPGs to come along in a long time, but the load times and horrible camera view options have me on the verge of breaking something.

I'm really loving the "meat and potatoes" of this game...easily one of the best RPGs to come along in a long time, but the load times and horrible camera view options have me on the verge of breaking something.

I find the OTS camera to be the best for most/all circumstances. The controls are pretty much identical to that of a FPS so it feels very natural to me. The other 3rd person options I think are pretty clumsy and pretty much never use those.

I find the OTS camera to be the best for most/all circumstances. The controls are pretty much identical to that of a FPS so it feels very natural to me. The other 3rd person options I think are pretty clumsy and pretty much never use those.

Yeah, I'm finding OTS to be the best of the cameras as well. It bugs me how far off to the side it is, though. Small interior locations tend to make it pretty clunky, too. Hopefully these things will get addressed with future patches.

The other views are pretty much the same classic views the older Bioware games use and I quite like it that way.

I've got the UK version here queued up as my winter break game. I won't really get to it until Sunday due to a surprise trip to Chicago (from St. Louis) to see a dentist and another exam on Thursday, but I'm going t install it tonight I think. I just finished an exam & I'm taking the night off. As for the dentist, a crown I had put on in March 2006 just broke, and apparently it's under warranty so he'll fix it for free. I just have to pay for gas & food since I'll be staying with a friend.

I do have one question for the [H] though... will I get better performance in XP or Vista? I've got XP32 and Vista 64 running on a dual Opteron 246 machine w/ a 7900GTX & 4GB ram. XP only sees 2GB, though I can get it up to 2.4GB by turning off memory remapping. That causes vista to only see 2.4 as well instead of the full 4, but it's not a big deal as I don't really use that machine for much of anything other than gaming anymore. I do all my schoolwork and most of my "misc" (email, surfing, etc.) on my laptop.

I don't see any noticeable difference between XP and Vista. Get 60 indoors (I use TB+VSync) and 35-50s indoors at 1920x1080 on both OSes.

The game does use a ton of memory though, pretty much 90-93% of my 2gb used at all times while playing. Not sure whether the extra memory would help any.

If the game uses almost 2GB of memory I bet it'll run better on Vista 64 on my rig. If it's even with 2GB, an extra 2GB ought to help load times at least a little.

Back