• Radiator compatibility

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • Tool-free drive bays

Votes: 26 33.8%
  • Native SSD compatibility

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • 8 PCI-E slots

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • Large number of hard drive bays (more than 4)

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • Side panel fan

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • Side panel window

Votes: 11 14.3%
  • Aggressive styling (HAF or Antec 900 series style)

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Cleaner, refined styling (Fractal or Corsair series style)

Votes: 62 80.5%

• Total voters

therapy

Gawd
Now is a pretty awesome time for cases. I remember just a few years ago, nobody painted the inside, cable routing was an afterthought, noisy 80mm and 92mm fans were common, everything was held in place with tiny silver screws instead of thumbscrews or tool-less devices.

But now - even $59 cases like the HAF 912 have 120mm fans and interior cable routing options. For $79 you can get a Storm Scout or a CM690.

So for $99, what should we expect? What kind of features should be on a $99 case?

Personally, I think the following isn't asking too much:
-Room for full-length video cards like the 6990
-At least 4 hard drive bays
-Black interior
-Native SSD compatibility
-Cable routing holes with grommets
-Tool free 5.25" bays
-Native 120/140mm fan support on front and top
-A side panel that lets me install a fan (or two) if I want
-Doesn't look like a robot

Right now, there just aren't many out there that meet all of those requirements. One of the best is probably the Lancool K62, but I'm not crazy about the short 290mm length for graphics cards on the bottom bays in case I want to go 3-way SLI.

So I guess I'm asking which features you care most about? I always wonder who it is that cares about LED fans, etc.

For myself the most important thing was missing. Thats airflow/noise ratio.

And for 99 bucks I think I would buy a Haf912 & a pair of 200mm fans to have a very quiet but great airflow case.

Cleaner, refined styling

after that would be airflow, I love my P180b and am having a hard time finding a suitable replacement.

Of all the things mentioned i think the only one i cant live without is the black interior, It looks cheap if it don't have it, I'm very happy with my current case, I bought it for 80 when it retails for 400 new and would only trade it if i won that new case SpineRex. BTW when does that end? I hope i win. :p

Fractal R3 here, which meets many of the requirements.

Like the cable routing grommets, like the black interior, like the clean look, like 120/140mm fans. Native SSD support is just about a requirement. Dust filters are another must.

What I don't like are the gimmicky ones with a ton of plastic, clear windows, and LED fans.

Of all the things mentioned i think the only one i cant live without is the black interior, It looks cheap if it don't have it
All white cases are taking over. Pretty soon it will be the cases with black interiors that will look cheap. ;)

And out of that list, I only care about Cleaner, refined styling.

All white cases are taking over. Pretty soon it will be the cases with black interiors that will look cheap. ;)

And out of that list, I only care about Cleaner, refined styling.

I agree, But im using it as a general thing for a painted interiors, Bare steel looks cheap. That all white H2 is awesome.

What about no included fans, to lower the price.

The only two things I would honestly care about in the poll are the first and last options (clean styling and nicely finished interior - doesn't have to be black).

But then there's things like ease of access - swapping out components; simple and effective cooling design; quietness - anti-vibration and silencing. These are extremely important to me.

A more closed version of the CM 690 II with filters, basically for better noise dampening and dust management, and slightly for looks, to me would be an almost ideal "budget" case.

I went with the Fractal R3, for more money, since it took care of those issues and looked better to me. It is almost perfect except for some areas -

Slightly wider, more room behind motherboard tray
Removable HD cages
USB 3 support
better side panel design (not as easy to remove/replace as my Antecs)

Maybe higher cost thicker steel and aluminum versions for those that are willing to pay extra for those as well.

I like a nice, clean, easy to work on design. I don't do the whole make the thing light up and look fancy. Some people are into that, just not something I'd want to get into. No patience, and my PC is mostly hidden anyway.

What about no included fans, to lower the price.

The only two things I would honestly care about in the poll are the first and last options (clean styling and nicely finished interior - doesn't have to be black).

But then there's things like ease of access - swapping out components; simple and effective cooling design; quietness - anti-vibration and silencing. These are extremely important to me.

Doesn't lower the price enough. Adding a couple of fans might change the cost of a product $10-$20. It's cheaper than buying aftermarket fans to fill in those spots.

The difference between a $59 case with two fans and a $49 case with no fans is that the $59 case will sell.

Weirdly, it'd probably work better at the high end. The world's best watercooling case, custom made by some forums guy, could probably cost $400 and have no fans and sell exactly the same number of units as it would if it were chock full of fans. Problem is, those units would be like 10 per month.

Definetely 2.5" SSD compatible. the 3.5" adapters sometimes are tight squeezes for the drive bay cages.

Are you considered [H]ard still if you didn't vote for every option? ;)
No but seriously, the noise/airflow thing is huge for me, sad face that it is not included in there.

Back