Thermalright IFX-14

Battle_Rattle

Limp Gawd
untitlethd2pf7.jpg

WTF is thermalright doing? lol .... 8mm pipes on what looks to be 2 Ultra 120's ... :eek:

Go check it out and tell me if im visualizing this right... A 4 inch (112mm) 2 pipe heatsink coming out of the bottom of the motherboard?

http://www.thermalright.com/

"Back-side Heatsink
- Dimension : L134.5 x W163.5 x H112.6 mm (heatsink only)
- Weight : 130g (heatsink only)
- Recommended Fan : All 80mm & 70mm Fan"
At any rate... this thing looks very good... Testing should be interesting.

Ultra 120 has 8 pipes too.... it looks more like they split the 120 in 2 so you can put a fan in the middle like Tuniq.....

Ultra 120 has 8 pipes too.... it looks more like they split the 120 in 2 so you can put a fan in the middle like Tuniq.....

Technically it's 4 pipes, but that major difference with this one, compared to something like the Tuniq are the 8mm heatpipes (as opposed to 6mm) and the (as yet unseen) back plate...

If you want to see calculations on what the rise from 6mm to 8mm might do see here about the Enzotech Ultra-X

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/coolers/display/scythe-enzotech_4.html

I wish Thermalright would post the backplate

From Xbit labs

calculate the area of the side surface of cylinders with a length of 120mm and diameters of 6 and 8mm. I have 4522 sq. mm for the 6mm cylinder and 6029 sq. mm for the 8mm cylinder. It means that, the length being the same, the area of one 8mm pipe of the Enzotech Ultra-X is 33.3% larger than that of a 6mm pipe of the Thermaltake Big Typhoon. On the other hand, the new cooler has 4 pipes as opposed to the Big Typhoon’s 6. If multiplied by the number of pipes, the Bug Typhoon proves to have a larger total area of contact between the pipes and the heatsink,

Nice calculations (above) but basically dont mean jack. The contact area between the pipe and the rest of the cpu sink is not all that critical and the pipes are usually flattened somewhat in that area anyway. Bigger pipes can handle more heat faster, thats all.

Effects of Length and Pipe Diameter
The vapor pressure differential between the condenser end and the evaporator end controls the rate at which the vapor travels from one end to the other. Diameter and length of the heat pipe also affect the speed at which the vapor moves and must be considered when designing with heat pipes. The larger the diameter, the more cross sectional area available to allow vapor to move from the evaporator to the condenser. This allows for greater power carrying capacity. Conversely, length when in opposition to gravity has a negative effect on heat transport as the rate at which the working fluid returns from the condenser end to the evaporator end is controlled by the capillary limit of the wick which is an inverse function of the length of the pipe. Therefore, shorter heat pipes carry more power than longer pipes when used in application not assisted by gravity.

This looks very impressive. Competition is wonderful for consumers.
Heatsink Body
- Dimension : L146.2 x W124 x H161 mm (heatsink only)
- Weight: 790g (heatsink only)
- Recommended Fan : All 120mm & 140mm Fan

The back pipe cooler is awesome. I wonder how well it works lol... I might pick one of them up to have some fun with (if they're sold seperately mind you!)

Damn, thermalright wants to be the best at air cooling, and they will stop at nothing to make it happen. I wonder what kind of difference that backside heatsink will do for overclocks and temps.

That's a pretty nifty idea. I wonder if it makes contact with the motherboard tray, then your entire case would dispel minuscule amounts of heat :p

im wondering this as well. Unless it makes direct contact i question how well it works:confused:

About 20% of the CPU heat is transferred to the motherboard, so I'd imagine it might do something.

Nothing but a gimmick IMHO, but it's a gimmick I want.

Here is how you cool with heatpipes:
That looks like that insanely expensive Zalman case from a couple years back..

I like the idea of Thermalright's design, it would certainly help soak some excess heat from the CPU area, whether it will have much of an effect on actual CPU temps remains to be seen (reviews now dammit!). More cooling potential the better though I guess, esp when we're talking about quad core apps.

But still, I hate to guess what the actual street price of this monster will be - TRs prices (and competition) are already up there. You could probably cheap part (ie: car rad vs Thermochill/Swiftech/HWlabs/etc) together a nice water kit for not much more than this thing.

Any word on when this thing is supposed to be released? It's been a few weeks since I first read about this thing, but I can't recall any ETA.
[edit] Supposedly very soon (late March/early April if some forums are to be believed) and ~$80 pricetag (ack).

The Gigabyte 680i board (and maybe some of their other boards?) have a backside heatpipe cooler.

Can it be removed without losing the heatsinks on the top of the motherboard? Do you just pull the heatpipe out, or something?

Can it be removed without losing the heatsinks on the top of the motherboard? Do you just pull the heatpipe out, or something?

Yes... its completely separate from the rest of the heat pipe system. It connects to the part near the cpu but disconnects easily.

Back