thermalright ultra 90 worth it?

Simpson5774

2[H]4U
Well SVC has a nice deal on the ultra 90 for 16 bucks, and im looking for something to replace my lapped AMD 4 heatpipe cooler, w/ 80mm vantec uv LED fan. My load temps on my opty 148 @ 2750mhz @ 1.5v is around 50-52c. I would like to go up to an ultra 120 / tuniq but current money constraints make that difficult.

So would an ultra 90 make any tangible difference, or should I save up?.

Also is 50c load normal for an opty 148 @ 1.5v? always seemed a bit high for me, especially since my case is well ventilated with high speed fans.

cant say if thats high, but i can tell you my experience with the Ultra-90. i got it stuck on my 3700+ newark 754, and its at 2.8, 1.5v, with load temps ((folding 24/7)) at 38c. its got this on it though http://www.svc.com/fba09a12u.html im sure you can go with a lighter fan and get good temps, and lower db. my newark is naked though, so take that into account for what its worth.

Looking at all the reviews I can find, the ultra 90 is better than the stock AMD 4 heatpipe cooler, but only by 2-3c, but all except for the mad shrimps test did there testing outside of a case (which I don't find helpful). but 2-3c improvement for 23-25 bucks (with fan), (atleast from the tests ive seen). Also another thing about all of these review sites (except for madshrimps which im not sure) used the stock thermal grease included with the ultra 90 instead of AS5 or ASC.

I know mine heatsink is lapped down to 1500 grit (not that polished) and topped it off with more powerful fan.

If anyone has tested both heatsinks and would like to share the results that would me much appreciated, i mite search the fourms later or somthin.

For that price, if it's at least as good as the XP-90, it's a great price! I bought my XP-90 for 30 dollars IIRC, so the ultra-90 for half that would be a great deal, not to mention a fantastic cooler. You could probably take it naked, but with a fan it should be icy.

Back