Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 Revision B & C Review @ [H]

I'm still looking at the Tuniq Tower 120 EXTREME
coolerangle.jpg
13.jpg

Tuniq Tower 120 EXTREME @ thinkcomputers.org

It seems here and there on the web It's a hot topic according to the Google Search that I did.

I have the original TRUE 120 and I love it. :D

Now I know to get the Rev. C for my next build, if I'm ever going to make one.

If you have a microcenter near you they have the RT Rev C now for $74.95 as well. You'll pay tax but may save overall because shipping is about $10 at frozencpu.
What's more interesting is that MicroCenter also has the Revision B, even though the article (and I assume Thermalright) said it should not see the light of day.

i bought one from microcenter in tustin a few weeks ago and it had a "REV C" on the box.

So does Jab-Tech, interesting.

I also got a Rev. B.

And when I asked Kyle is he was sure none were released I got a rude comment (RTFA).

And now its coming out that Rev B. did see the light of day.

.....O well At least I am not alone

The Microcenters in Atlanta had Rev B's for several months. They only just got Rev C's in the last couple weeks. I think they wanted to sell off the B stock before ordering new ones.

WARNING: the Revision C 775 mounting system is incompatible with the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P motherboard and other motherboards with larger or overhanging heatsinks on the motherboard mosfet cluster beside the socket. I don't know why Thermalright chose to change it up, but instead of a cross pattern bolting to the board, there are two side brackets that stick out into areas beyond the normal mounting points and intruding into the mosfet area where different motherboards have different components or different heatsink/heatpipe solutions.

I found this out tonight and will be returning my Rev. C tomorrow.

Last edited:
Knew there was a reason I never buy Gigabyte boards. Sorry to hear that bro best of luck with finding a compatible replacement.

Knew there was a reason I never buy Gigabyte boards. Sorry to hear that bro best of luck with finding a compatible replacement.

I would blame that on Thermalright more than Gigabyte because I can see those tabs interferring with the same mosfet section on a lot of P45 boards.

The revision A bracket works. Revision C bracket does not (looks cheaper too).

I think the revision C True is designed with newer chipsets in mind, and maybe that is why A or B is a better fit for P45 boards

With the new mounting bracket for the Rev C TRUEs, does the spring-loaded screw get torqued all the way down till it can go no further? Does any part of the screw come out the bottom of the bracket? I am asking this because the new setup has the mounting system go right over the ferrite caps around the CPU socket on many x58 mobos.

With the new mounting bracket for the Rev C TRUEs, does the spring-loaded screw get torqued all the way down till it can go no further? Does any part of the screw come out the bottom of the bracket? I am asking this because the new setup has the mounting system go right over the ferrite caps around the CPU socket on many x58 mobos.

when I installed mine, I tried not to screw it in too much so I applied enough pressure that it was not going to move. You might be able to screw it all the way down but I saw no need for it.

Would the True Black Rev C 775 version of this run into any problems on an Asus Rampage Formula?

Whats the best way to attach 38mm or even those 55mm deep 120mm fans to the thermalright? I have the Rev C that comes with the 25mm bracket.

I think you'd need to use the wire clips for fans of that size, but I'm not sure since I'm still really new to all of this, lol.

if not, a dremmel tool and duct tape/superglue fixes most any bracketing problem!

Whats the best way to attach 38mm or even those 55mm deep 120mm fans to the thermalright? I have the Rev C that comes with the 25mm bracket.

For 38mm fans, you can buy clips from somewhere like FrozenCPU. For 55mm, you'll have to rig something up yourself.

Use wire clips. The True Black version comes with two clips but you can buy them separately for a few bucks each.

I have a pretty thick Panaflo fan on mine.

Do you think a 38mm fan is enough? Or should I give those 55mm ones a whirl?

A good 28mm fan is often more than enough. Get something like a Scythe Gentletyphoon at 1600-2000 RPM and it'll work great. If you wan a 35mm fan just because, then get one. I don't see a need for a 55mm though...

A good 28mm fan is often more than enough. Get something like a Scythe Gentletyphoon at 1600-2000 RPM and it'll work great. If you wan a 35mm fan just because, then get one. I don't see a need for a 55mm though...

Isnt a 35mm fan at the same RPM and db going to be superior to a 25mm fan? If not in CFM, in static pressure?

Ultra 120 Extreme 1366 Rev. C
Ultra 120 Extreme Rev. C
TRUE Black120 Rev. C

Are there any actual/notable differences between these 3? Just mounting hardware/appearance?

Ultra 120 Extreme 1366 Rev. C
Ultra 120 Extreme Rev. C
TRUE Black120 Rev. C

Are there any actual/notable differences between these 3? Just mounting hardware/appearance?

The heatsink design is all the same. True Black has a darker finish to the chrome look.

The rest are just different included accessories. 1366 version for example has the plastic mount and fan included along with 1366 mount only. True Black has no fan, but has mounting for every kind of CPU and wire clips (2 sets so you can make push pull system) and thermal compound, etc.

Planning on using a TRUE 120 Rev C with an Asus P6T board. Anyone know of any problems with this setup?

Planning on using a TRUE 120 Rev C with an Asus P6T board. Anyone know of any problems with this setup?

Fits and works 100%. I used my rev.c 120e on my on my original P6T and it also works fine on the P6T7 boards even with all the extra cooling around the socket. Its a fantastic heat sink and it even comes with a nice quiet fan and a new fan mounting piece that is light years a head of the previous clip design. It keeps all my cores at 65c or under running prime with 8 threads going and is very quiet

Fits and works 100%. I used my rev.c 120e on my on my original P6T and it also works fine on the P6T7 boards even with all the extra cooling around the socket. Its a fantastic heat sink and it even comes with a nice quiet fan and a new fan mounting piece that is light years a head of the previous clip design. It keeps all my cores at 65c or under running prime with 8 threads going and is very quiet

Did you plug the 3pin from the fin to the 4 pin CPU PWR or a 3pin chassis fan?

Back