Thermalright Venomous-X Asus P8Z68V-LX Doesn't Boot

avddreamr

Gawd
I recently upgraded my g/f to sandybridge, and elected to get a Venomous-X instead of just buying a BTK for her old TRUE, unfortunately the machine will not boot with the Venomous-X.

I can get it to boot with the backplate installed, but once I put the bracket on, prior to even mounting the heatsink to the bracket, while allowing the heatsink to rest on the cpu without pressure, the system will not enter POST.

Does anyone know anything about this? I have emailed thermalright, i'm guessing something is going on, even though nothing appears to be making electrical contact.

Any help will be appreciated.

Is the CPU properly seated? Sounds like the pressure from mounting the heatsink is causing a short or something. Can you try the stock heatsink and see if that also causes problems? Or maybe try reseating the CPU?

Forceman:
Configurations that allow the computer to post:
1)OEM Intel Heatsink Fan installed
2)Thermalright heatsink resting on Cpu
3)As above with backplate installed.

Configurations that won't allow the computer to boot:
1)Fully installed Venomous-X
2)Partially Installed, as in heatsink is resting on cpu, backplate is installed, but placing bracket on screws, prior to completing installation causes non-post.

Theory:The backplate is electrically connected to the motherboard, and adding the bracket creates a short that prevents booting up.

Solution:????

:)

Strangely enough, redoing the electrical tape, has allowed the motherboard to post even with the bracket installed.

I think there are solder joints on the back of the motherboard that touch the backplate under default conditions, reapplying the electrical tape has allowed it to post, I'm going to attempt to mount it with pressure and see if it functions.

If this proves to be sufficient, and if you have have one of the newer z68 asus motherboards with foxcon sockets, and you experience this issue, then careful application of 2mm thick electrical tape on the backplate may allow you to work.. go fig.

I'm sorry but aren't you suppose to put some washers btw backplate and the motherboard, which should prevent the short?
I have a Ven-X installed on the P55 motherboard and there are 8 plastic washers for the installation...

Kalvin37:
Thanks, that gave me an idea, I added another set of washers, and that resolved the problem.
So the stock washers may not be enough, adding another set of thin washers (.3mm-.5mm thick) did the trick. I guess it's a tolerance issue on either the motherboard or the backplate.

Wow I feel so stupid that I didn't think to try to add another set on the back.

thank you so much for mentioning the backplate washers. :)

Back