THERMALRIGHT XP120/90C ON A64 3000+ ?

aldy402

2[H]4U
I want the xp120 or xp90c for in place of my zalman 7700alcu but on the websites it only states " athlon 64 3200+ and above ".
I have a 3000+ , can I still use it ? I don't see where the difference is in physical terms from the 3000 to the 3200
its socket 754 by the way

thanks in advance guys

zalman 7700alcu is for sale by the way @ 30 shipped pm me

the only thing that would REALLY contradict it, would be the motherboard platform and your case layout, it's recomended 3200+ but you can still use it on your 3000+ it would be overkill in a since but in OC you can't be too cool ;)

yea for some stupid reason, on the thermalright website it states athlon 3200+ and above only

WHY IS THAT?

has anybody gotten any luck with a 3000+ ?

that's what I had on my 3000+ venice till i fried my mobo, you just have to change the retention clip and your good to go

g0o53 said:
that's what I had on my 3000+ venice till i fried my mobo, you just have to change the retention clip and your good to go

im a little confused, change which rentention clip? the stock 1 or the 1 included with the xp-90c?

and change it with what?

thanks

On my Winchester 3000+ and Neo2 Plat I didn't have to change anything. Just put on some AS5 and slapped that mother on. XP120 rules!

You dont have to change anything. The stock setup, on all A64 mobos, will work with the XP90/120/90c. The only time you will have to modify it is if you useing a moble CPU, because they do not come with a heatspreader on the core. The heat spreader is about 1/10 of an inch thick, so without it, stock Heatsinks will not fit. and the XP series was made it fit jsut like a stock Heatsink. if you take awas thw 1/10 of an inch in between the heatsink and the core, any heatsink made for the stock motherboard bracked will not be tite enougth to fit

g0o53 said:
the only thing that would REALLY contradict it, would be the motherboard platform and your case layout, it's recomended 3200+ but you can still use it on your 3000+ it would be overkill in a since but in OC you can't be too cool ;)

cant be to cool ? ive got my 3000+ @ 2.5ghz stock volts with stock cooling, give me better cooling eg xp120 and ill put more voltage through and get around 2.7 thats a 900mhz overclock. :O if u was being sarcastic i appologise.

yeah you know, as in.... you want to have a cool system as in not have a hot one?...

I had to change the plastic bracket on mine MSI K8N Neo2 Plat board, unless the plastic bracket that came with yours was magically the right one, but there is a standard on amd mobos for their stock heatsinks that they have the same mointing points.

I(illa Bee said:
You dont have to change anything. The stock setup, on all A64 mobos, will work with the XP90/120/90c. The only time you will have to modify it is if you useing a moble CPU, because they do not come with a heatspreader on the core. The heat spreader is about 1/10 of an inch thick, so without it, stock Heatsinks will not fit. and the XP series was made it fit jsut like a stock Heatsink. if you take awas thw 1/10 of an inch in between the heatsink and the core, any heatsink made for the stock motherboard bracked will not be tite enougth to fit

Are you sure about this? The directions I got with my XP-90 said that I had to remove my stock retention bracket and put on the one they gave me (and I haven't taken the time to rip my MB out of my case to do this and have the XP-90 sitting here because of it). If I can just use my stock bracket, I could mount it in a few minutes.

kirbyrj said:
Are you sure about this? The directions I got with my XP-90 said that I had to remove my stock retention bracket and put on the one they gave me (and I haven't taken the time to rip my MB out of my case to do this and have the XP-90 sitting here because of it). If I can just use my stock bracket, I could mount it in a few minutes.

I ment it will work with any stock mobo, with the stock backplate. You need to use the retention bracke they include... (like the old P4 brackets)

kirbyrj said:
You must use their bracket, which will take some time and labour.

i have my xp90 on my MSI neo2 with a 3000 winnie, it fit no problem. however, i'm using the stock retention bracket and my temps are idling in the 40s. but the heatsink fits like a glove, which is what i don't understand. should i remove the stock bracket and put the one that came with the xp90 on? is there even a difference between the two?

Back