Thermaltake Armor Series VA8000BWS

skasol

Limp Gawd
I was wondering if anyone has any experience with this case, I am thinking of buying this to house my new pc. dual 8800GTX, evga 680i, etc, etc what does anyone think? is this a good case or is there something else recommended. TIA

I like mine. Its big and strong (heavy too), though the flappy door flaps could use some stonger magnets.

any cons of owning this case? I am about to pull the trigger on it, unless anyone can recommend something different to host my 2 evga8800GTX cards, and the evga 680i board. any suggestions are welcome. tia.

Then some cons are the flappy flaps (already noted) and the top io/usb/audio port connectors on the inside can and get in the way of installing large psu's. They could of made the whole top ven flush with the case so that you can place stuff on top of it without concern to balance.

Its a case that means business, if you get my drift.

The armor has tooless drive bays and imo looks way better than that Masstige. With the Armor you get a 120mm fan 3x3.5" drive cage that can be moved up or down as you please also a 120 rear and 92mm top fan. That Masstige case almost looks like the old style Coolermaster Centurion...but the 3x80mm side fans and the large lettered AREOCOOL on the top, puts me off something fierce.

But thats not to say its a good case at all.

I believe there's a version of the Armor with a huge 250mm fan on the side panel.

FYI the 3 80mm fan holes on the Masstige... even at 12v are almost totally silent.

I've owned both an armor and a masstige, and I like the masstige better... The side window is really classy. Rabbeted edge so the plexi is flush with the side of the case... Goes a long way in my books.

I have the armor and its a good case. After coming from a mid tower case, I would never even consider one. The full tower is just so much better to work in!!!!!
My only concern with the armor is fitting a larger psu. Like the enermax 850.

tims880 said:
I have the armor and its a good case. After coming from a mid tower case, I would never even consider one. The full tower is just so much better to work in!!!!!
My only concern with the armor is fitting a larger psu. Like the enermax 850.

with that said, I am planning on buying the http://www.pcpower.com/products/viewproduct.php?show=S75Q

will this fit in the thermaltake? how do I find out? thank you in advance.

Has anyone had issues with the pci expansion slots and their pci cards not sitting flush against the case, with this case?

My PCI/PCIe cards won't sit flush in their slots or against the case after installing them. The bend in the faceplate of the expansion card seems like it's not high enough and prevents me from putting in my card all the way. I'm considering using metal shears and cutting the screw down bend off the expansion cards since this case has the retention clips.

UPDATE: I found out what my problem was. I had used my own standoffs to seat my mother board and this case has it's own custom, longer than usual standoff's. So I removed my mobo and put in the longer standoff's and now everything sits fine.

I also removed the snap in expansion tab thingy and screwed down my cards.

I suggest the Coolermaster Stacker 810 over the Armor. I personally like the design of the case a lot more.

the armor is just amazing for both air flow and hiding cables. only bad thing, it weighs a ton. so dont plan on moving it

Weak flap magnets and weight aside, I highly recommend finding a PSU that has the cables coming out of the middle or bottom of the PSU to avoid problems with the top audio/USB/1394 connector. My OCZ Powerstream SLI has the cables coming out of the top, interfering with the top connectors and I have to put in the PSU upside down, meaning that the bracket to secure the PSU to the case will not work. You'll have to jury rig something.

No other real complaints however. The 11 5.25" drives are awesome and probably the primary selling feature for me at the time.

Anyone know if they have the black one available in aluminum now? When I bought mine only the silver came in that option.

Just for the record, I got this thing with the giant 250mm side fan.

My CPU runes 3-5C cooler with the side fan ON. I'm fairly pleased with this case.

I also took off the little armor hinges, which is easy to do, total of 8 screws and they come right off.

Note: I'm running the Tuniq Tower 120, and it blows directly onto the rear-outtake fan, creating the perfect wind tunnel. It gets intake from the 250mm fan, and direct outttake.

The armor includes an 80mm fan that's supposed to be an outtake fan for the vent on the top of the case. I rigged a 120mm fan on there, and situated the 80 fan over my RAM and northbridge to allow significant overclocking.

It's been working very well so far. Overall I don't think it was worth the pricetag, but I do like it, and would recommend it to those considering.

Back