Thermaltake Toughpower QFan 650w @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Thermaltake Toughpower QFan 650w - Thermaltake impressed us with its 1200 watt uber-PSU in the past. This time we move into a much more crowded section of the marketplace at 650 watts. Let’s see how Thermaltake does when the competition gets deeper and the prices get lower.

The Thermaltake Toughpower QFan 650w is, in almost every way possible, a very good power supply that should be appropriate for the vast majority of users. It features excellent voltage regulation, good DC output quality, and excellent efficiency. However, the unit’s distinguishing feature, the QFan, seems to do little in our test environment to differentiate it from other products on the market.

If you shop the PSU you can find it a touch cheaper than what NewEgg has it for but not much.

Pretty nice PSU, but WAY too expensive for what is is...Especially when you can get the Corsair 650TX / 620HX for $100 give or take a few, AR/GCO/Shipped @ buy.com. Hey, at least they're not pulling an Ultra and making a step backwards in quality..

Thanks for another great PSU review.

Good psu if you get stuck with it, but I would go for the HX620 if I were shopping in that power range.

I bought the TT tough power 850w a while back and I thought the same thing about the finish - weird olive drab. When I saw it advertised on the website I thought I was going to get a Chrome PSU. :(

This color does not match any computer cases I have ever seen.How on earth do you actually get a chrome version? Go to a Brick and Mortar and open the box and check it?

Nice review guys. :)

Rather discerning to hear about the "grinding" noise emanating from the fan though and to hear their QFan technology doesn't quite live up to all their claims.

We discussed the pricing with Thermaltake and the company is aware of the pricing being currently being a bit out of line. It is something it is working on. But still, kudos to them for putting out a great piece of equipment. I would suspect Thermaltake will get the retail pricing worked out.

Nice review but as far as thermaltake goes i doubt ill ever buy any of their psu's again. My 850 toughpower fucked up and they wouldn't even do so much as reply to numerous emails or messages sent through the forms on their site. Assholes. :mad:

It's nice to see TT try something different with the quiet fan, even if it didn't work exactly right. The 600w range is getting crowded with good PSU's, and that's a good thing, so it's nice to see a company try and improve on certain qualities. If the price comes down to a competitive level, it's something worth looking into.

Good review too, keep it up!

I thank you guys for doing the PSU reviews. HardOCP and JonnyGuru have made the manufacturers stand up and produce some quality parts lately, and it has made my life easier and cheaper. In the past there were only a handful of manufacturers that could be trusted. Now there are options abound.

Another great power supply review from you guys once again. On the noise side of things from the way you test, you never give the user a good idea if the power supply is noisy or not b/c of the test chamber you use.

Any chance you guys could use the PS in an actual case and take some readings while gaming to give us an idea of the noise output and if the fan is actually working. While the Q-Fan may have not reduced temperatures, it may have been a lot quieter than other unit's in the 600-650w range with fans of the same size or close.

I didn't see where they claimed to have lower temperatures, just a quieter a fan with less noise output. I know it would be nice to see some actual db's from a gaming session doine in an actual case under normal temps. If you actually have a case or a room with 45 degree's celcius temps you play in and your gamer, wow! :eek:

I know different cases, ventilation, cable management and different setups will vary the noise a bit, but it would be nice just the same to have some numbers for comparison sake, if it's possible in the future. Plus I know most of you guys use some pretty popular case choices of user's that read the [H] on a daily basis as well. :D

Thanks, Aom/Joe

Back