THG review the Dell 2405FPW and others - including response time graphs

Drags

[H]ard|Gawd
THG France have reviewed a few top "professional" TFT's including the very popular Dell 2001FP and 2405FPW. One thing that i havent seen up until now is the response time graph and other measurements for the 2405FPW which is a good thing about this review.

Link here (translated for you :))

expect the THG USA version in a few days! :D

Here is the response time graphs for the 2405FPW:

latency_dell2405FPW.jpg

interesting to note that the panel consistently remains low

this was exactly what I was looking for before I bought mine. A latency graph. a constant 20ms is pretty good imho. I'll wait for the english version though.

yeah, tbh i was quite surprised. The measurements are certainly lower than i was expecting. Got my eye on the 2405FPW perhaps within the next few months, so this review is something i have found interesting. The english version normally follows a couple of days later, as it's written by the same guy anyway :)

I've had my 2405fpw for a couple weeks now. It is absolutely awesome. Very even lighting (no backlight bleeding that I can find) and not a single stuck pixel.

I've yet to experience any ghosting at all, although most of my gaming has been in World of Warcraft. And yes, WoW in 1920x1200 w/4xAA and 4xAS is fricking gorgeous.

For 99% of gamers/end users, this monitor is simply a superb deal.

infocalypse said:
I've had my 2405fpw for a couple weeks now. It is absolutely awesome. Very even lighting (no backlight bleeding that I can find) and not a single stuck pixel.

I've yet to experience any ghosting at all, although most of my gaming has been in World of Warcraft. And yes, WoW in 1920x1200 w/4xAA and 4xAS is fricking gorgeous.

"WOW" Run very smooth for you @ 1920x1200 w/4xaa 4xas? list your specs.. :)

Jasonx82 said:
"WOW" Run very smooth for you @ 1920x1200 w/4xaa 4xas? list your specs.. :)

I'm running a P4 3.2 w/1gb RAM and a 6800 Ultra. Draw distance is maxed out and most settings are near max. There are certain zones and situations where the framerates drop a little bit (Stranglethorn Vale comes to mind) but overall the performance is absolutely wonderful and deliciously smooth in most cases. Turning off AA or AS(AF?) or lowering texture settings certainly provides a healthy bump in framerates for those who demand it, but I prefer things to be as pretty as possible. Overall I'm pretty finicky about framerates, WoW is definitely playable with these settings and this level of hardware. A 7800 GTX would be even better, of course. ;)

Colors are wonderfully vibrant and not washed out at all. I'm surprised by some people saying they needed to drop the brightness, my 2405fpw seemed perfect right out of the box. Perhaps I'm not picky enough.

FWIW, my previous display was a 21" Sun trinitron CRT.

Badd said:
THG France have reviewed a few top "professional" TFT's including the very popular Dell 2001FP and 2405FPW. One thing that i havent seen up until now is the response time graph and other measurements for the 2405FPW which is a good thing about this review.

Link here (translated for you :))

expect the THG USA version in a few days! :D

Here is the response time graphs for the 2405FPW:

latency_dell2405FPW.jpg

interesting to note that the panel consistently remains low

Wow, the panel response is much better than expected! Clearly behind the VP191, but a toss up I think between the 4ms VX924 (shown here: http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20050602/viewsonic-05.html ) and this panel. Comparing the response graphs from the FP71E+ and the infamous Hyundai L90D+ shown here, http://graphics.tomshardware.com/display/20050215/lcd-04.html ,overall I think the huge Samsung panel is clearly the winner.

Clearly, this was somewhat unexpected, based on personal experience (I had all of the aforementioned panels except for the VX924), and from reviews from BeHardware.com. The only reason I can think that maybe anyone would think the 2405FPW is "bad" for FPS games would be due to its sheer size. Quite honestly, I noticed blurring a little less on the Hyundai I had, however, now looking back at it is probably is due to the blurring be amplified because the screen is much, much bigger.

Finally, I would gesture that the Samsung 8ms P-MVA 193P+ would have a response time similar to this one. A little slower (seems to consistenly be around 4-5ms slower), however, it would be another good panel for FPS. Just my guess...

MZ6 said:
Clearly, this was somewhat unexpected, based on personal experience (I had all of the aforementioned panels except for the VX924), and from reviews from BeHardware.com. The only reason I can think that maybe anyone would think the 2405FPW is "bad" for FPS games would be due to its sheer size. Quite honestly, I noticed blurring a little less on the Hyundai I had, however, now looking back at it is probably is due to the blurring be amplified because the screen is much, much bigger.

I wouldn't trust the response time graphs. If you read the rest of of the article, they state that the monitor is unsuitable for video and games because of visible noise, trails, viewing angles, and texture blurring. That pretty much agrees with what was posted at behardware. It's also what I noticed when I owned this monitor for a few weeks back in March. I even saw the issues watching regular 30Hz video so it's clearly not <25ms responose across the whole range. Luckily Dell has a good refund policy so one can return it (like me) if it doesn't satisfy your needs. Definitely can't beat the price on such a huge monitor.

infocalypse said:
World of Warcraft. And yes, WoW in 1920x1200 w/4xAA and 4xAS is fricking gorgeous.

Could you take a screenshot and either send it to me or post a link? I'd like a 1920x1200 screenshot to show a friend what it'd look like as I don't have WoW.

I have a 2045 myself, and it is a great monitor, however I'd have to disagree with you when you say this monitor is good for games. I would tend to think that most people play with vsync on, especially on LCDs where tearing is even more apparent. unfortunately because the 2045 has a refresh rate locked in at 60hz, the max fps you can ever get is 60, and with vsync on, every time your framerate dips below 60, it is divided in half to 30fps. try this with doom3, it is extremely obvious when you go from 60fps to 30fps. (this should also shut up all the people who say you cant see any difference from 30fps and higher).

I really dont need super high framerates..just steady framerates w/ vsync on. the jump from 60fps to 30fps is too big and really screws up my enjoyment of games. perhaps because I'm coming from a CRT that could do 100hz at 16x12, this vsync issue is more noticeable to me. at this point the only way I think to solve this problem is to get a card(s) that push 60fps or higher constantly. so that means either SLI or a 7800gtx :(

The American review is up now

interesting to note that THG dont really like the 2405FPW for movies, or for games either, despite the measured latency, they say it doesn't really perform well in games:

Video noise while watching DVDs is strongly evident. This is a shame, because the format of the screen would be perfect for this application. Forget it, though - there is definitely too much video noise and, in addition, viewing angles aren't suitable. Games are clearly not this monitor's strength, either; it's too slow, and the monitor displays annoying lags. Worst of all, moving images lose sharpness in their textures

obviously only one persons opinion, but interesting to see some bad things said about the 2405FPW which has generally gotten a lot of praise all round

Badd said:
The American review is up now

interesting to note that THG dont really like the 2405FPW for movies, or for games either, despite the measured latency, they say it doesn't really perform well in games:

obviously only one persons opinion, but interesting to see some bad things said about the 2405FPW which has generally gotten a lot of praise all round
What's strange to me is that they first say it's faster than most TN screens (because it is, at least that's what the response time graph shows) but then later they say it's still "too slow" for games. It seems that now they consider every LCD slow if isn't as fast as the VP191B but before the Viewsonic came out they generally considered 12ms and 16ms TN screens very good for games.

Also, they reviewed the 2001FP a couple of years ago and though it was terrible for gaming but looking at the response time graph, it was one of the fastest LCDs back then.

i think that while the latency measurements are good for the 2405FPW, the actual gaming experience is something different. The size of the monitor is going to come into play here, and i suppose that that has a big effect on the "feel" of the gaming. This is why places like BeHardware have stated that they still prefer gaming on the 8ms TN panels (like Hyundai L90D+) instead of the VP191B. Although the VP191B is faster on paper, the performance in use is something different.....i think another factor here probably has something to do with the panel technologu used. TN Film seems fluid for gaming, even with 16ms and 12ms panels, where as the VA variants dont feel the same

I think the exact ghosting phenomenon is considerably different between the panel types, which acts orthogonally to the actual response time.

When I pan something on my 2405 - ie, a dark object moves around across a brighter background - the ghosting image is brighter than the two original colors! This is obviously not the ideal behavior for a ghosting effect, and if TN yields more of a blur effect than this highly nonlinear effect it would obviously appear more pleasing to the eye.

I can agree wholeheartedly with the subjective evaluations of the 2405. The response time in isolation is great, but high speed game performance shows a notable texture blurring rather than some obvious ghosting pattern, and DVD performance is oddly rather poor. I still wouldn't trade it for the world though, and movies are still quite pleasing.

I also bought a 2405 just for WoW. I didn't think wide screen would matter that much before when I had a 17" 710T. But when my friend brought over his 2005 to show off, my jaws dropped and out popped the wallet.

I personally think this screen is well worth the price and is perfect for gaming. I play both counter strike and WoW on it all the time.

While running WoW, I've kept the default settings and my frame rates averate 59.5 fps. While running CS, it averages around 80. I have all my games running at 1920x1600.

gizo said:
I also bought a 2405 just for WoW. I didn't think wide screen would matter that much before when I had a 17" 710T. But when my friend brought over his 2005 to show off, my jaws dropped and out popped the wallet.

I personally think this screen is well worth the price and is perfect for gaming. I play both counter strike and WoW on it all the time.

While running WoW, I've kept the default settings and my frame rates averate 59.5 fps. While running CS, it averages around 80. I have all my games running at 1920x1600.
How are you getting framerates > 60fps? Are you running with v-sync off? If so, don't you get massive tearing?

Back