Thieves Go High-Tech To Steal Cars

No, they definitely have batteries in them. When you touch the capacitive sensor in the car, the car generates a RF pulse which pings the fob. The fob detects the ping from the car and then it transmits a signal comparable to you having pressed one of the buttons on an old style fob back to the car. With a 2-way range extending radio link you could definitely make the key talk to the car over a much longer distance.

Yep. low frequency radio waves. The system just monitors the strength of the signal to determine proximity and the correct passkey. Some cars like Nissan do use RFID as a backup in case the battery dies. There's a hidden key in the fob to open the door and you place the fob over the button to start.

While it is scary to think that all anyone needs these days to steal a car is a laptop, look how long it takes the thieves to actually get away with the car. The thief must have had balls of steel the way he just casually sits in the car using the laptop to try to steal it. Here's the edited video courtesy of CrimeStoppers.

The discovery follows a recent incident in Houston in which a pair of car thieves were caught on camera using a laptop to start a 2010 Jeep Wrangler and steal it from the owner’s driveway. Police say the same method may have been used in the theft of four other late-model Wranglers and Cherokees in the city. None of the vehicles has been recovered.

"Goes" high tech?

Sorry, they've been high-tech for a while now. There've been several remote compromises that they've abused that law enforcement generally knew NOTHING about until they were filmed and studied.

I just use these on my garage doors.

21cE6Ui4jHL.jpg

you put it right above the door

Oh, to the door... I don't think that would work on my door due to the shape and other issues. I see there are a variety of products to protect the safety release by blocking or covering it, but I don't see how they prevent the crook from grabbing the cord and pulling it. I need to think about this a little more.

Stereodude Post pics of your set up?
I don't have a protection setup yet. My door is insulated and the angled board on the top isn't practical. I'm thinking how to make something to keep the door from being pushed in the middle at the top and block attempts to fish something through. Like a several foot wide lip that catches a groove on the header when the door is all the way down.

No, they definitely have batteries in them. When you touch the capacitive sensor in the car, the car generates a RF pulse which pings the fob. The fob detects the ping from the car and then it transmits a signal comparable to you having pressed one of the buttons on an old style fob back to the car. With a 2-way range extending radio link you could definitely make the key talk to the car over a much longer distance.

Actually, some ppl have nothing more than a key transponder. No batteries. If the key isn't within X distance from the car, you can't start the car.

I have both. Subaru Japan put the key transponder chip into the key. Subaru of UK knows their cars get stolen all the time. So they installed an alarm/immobilizer system into all their cars, so I also have a key fob. Although, I don't think it's the same as the dealer fobs for new cars.

Actually, some ppl have nothing more than a key transponder. No batteries. If the key isn't within X distance from the car, you can't start the car.

I have both. Subaru Japan put the key transponder chip into the key. Subaru of UK knows their cars get stolen all the time. So they installed an alarm/immobilizer system into all their cars, so I also have a key fob. Although, I don't think it's the same as the dealer fobs for new cars.
You're talking about something different. Not the passive entry / passive start systems where you don't put a physical key anywhere or have to press any button of the remote to enter or start the car. Physical ignition keys have had passive secondary security measures for better than 20 years in some mainner or another. GM put resistors in the keys when they started in the 90s.

You're talking about something different. Not the passive entry / passive start systems where you don't put a physical key anywhere or have to press any button of the remote to enter or start the car. Physical ignition keys have had passive secondary security measures for better than 20 years in some mainner or another. GM put resistors in the keys when they started in the 90s.

Actually, they are still the same things. It's just whether it's tied to other car systems. Also the type of transponder system they use. The old style used magnetic coupled transponders, which don't need batteries, but have a super short range. While todays are electric coupled transponders, so...need a battery and have longer ranges. Nothing would stop me from simply removing my ignition key tumblers and putting in a start button instead. A lot of us with old cars hate the crap and simply remove the chip and tape it to our steering column, so we can use whatever key.

For door locks, alarms, and such, it's usually another system for that. You have the transponder for the ignition, while you'll have a radio freq or transducer for things like door locks, alarms, etc. Instead of having the chip in the key and the radio frequ/transducer in a separate fob, they simply integrated it into one fob/key.

So I'm not really up on newer vehicles, as my newest is a 2005 Jeep GC, so maybe I'm missing something. I mean, there used to be a steel pin that locks the steering wheel in place when the key is turned to the off position. Even hot wiring, you had to break that pin or the wheel to be able to steer the vehicle. Has this changed? Does the pin operate via electronic movement instead of mechanical?
Most cars these days use electrically assisted power steering, and the steering wheel is locked when there is no power going to the system. With keyless ignition switches, so long as they can hack the car to turn on they will get steering ability back.

Then that's different than mine (05 subaru), since I've opened the key up and installed remote start on my car. It's just a chip with no battery. To add remote start you do need to leave the chipped key in the car with an 'extender'. The chipped part of the key goes inside a coil of wire that gets powered when you remote start and sends that signal to the transmitter installed by the ignition switch. Same way the sensor at the ignition switch would 'power' and read the key. So there would be no way to extend the range with a system like that. But if there are powered FOB keys (what a stupid fucking idea, makes them limited life and regular FOB are already like 150$), then maybe that would work, but I would still need to see proof before I believe that.

Then that's different than mine (05 subaru), since I've opened the key up and installed remote start on my car. It's just a chip with no battery. To add remote start you do need to leave the chipped key in the car with an 'extender'. The chipped part of the key goes inside a coil of wire that gets powered when you remote start and sends that signal to the transmitter installed by the ignition switch. Same way the sensor at the ignition switch would 'power' and read the key. So there would be no way to extend the range with a system like that. But if there are powered FOB keys (what a stupid fucking idea, makes them limited life and regular FOB are already like 150$), then maybe that would work, but I would still need to see proof before I believe that.

Radio Attack Lets Hackers Steal 24 Different Car Models

Back