Think my power supply is shot

thekiefs

Limp Gawd
So, running windows vista my computer automatically "shutsdown" ... rather I believe after a long period of idleness it "sleeps" and I can start up instantly when I turn it back on - however the hell that works. Anyway, I think that happened, as when I go to turn my computer back on nothing happens.

I press the button nothing happens, turn the switch, hear a short almost electrical sound, try to turn back on, nothing. So I'm sitting here trying to figure out what fucked up, as it worked fine yesterday now it won't even turn on today. Took out soundcard, video card, took CMOS out, uplugged everything..nothing seems to be working! I have a DFI nF4 LP Ultra-D w/ an Antec NeoPower 480W.

Whenever I set the power to on position, I hear that electronic sound and then I see LED1 is lit orange. I believe that means the power source is working (from DFI) but why the hell isn't the computer turning on? Is my PS dead?

Get an new one off of newegg and for the love of God make sure it isn't an Antec. Antec is NOT a good PSU company.

CWT built Antec (Neopower, Truepower / II, Phantom, Smartpower) use Fuhjyyu caps, and should be avoided.

Seasonic built Antec (Earthwatts, NeoHE, Truepower Trio) are ok, but at the price, there are better options.

I'd look past Antec.

CWT built Antec (Neopower, Truepower / II, Phantom, Smartpower) use Fuhjyyu caps, and should be avoided.

Seasonic built Antec (Earthwatts, NeoHE, Truepower Trio) are ok, but at the price, there are better options.

I'd look past Antec.

Oh ok, I was confused as to which models were built by who.

OK thats depressing...is it normal for a PS to breakdown after 1 1/2 years of use? Is there any last ditch way I can see if its salvageable....I can't find the damn receipt and I think the warranty is up...

And if it turns out this is shot....don't go with antec eh? Any suggestions (rig is in profile) 480 seemed to work great...don't want to overkill my power consumption

Depending on the conditions of the case (high heat, low airflow) then 1.5 years is about right for a CWT antec.

I suggest you call Antec first, get a replacement. If they send you a NeoHE or an Earthwatts or Trio, use it. Otherwise, sell it, and buy a new psu.

OK thanks...will do

Just don't understand why this thousand dollar dell has been running fine for 4 years while this is the second time my three thousand comp has died (first HDD failure)

ahh the troubles of being an enthusiast ;)

Running with no load (I'm assuming you took the 24pin connector out of the motherboard to short the power on pins) is no indication of... anything, really. Call Antec, do -not- tell them that you got it working because they will likely deny the RMA, and get a new one if you can. If not, a Corsair 520watt is in your future. If you have another machine (Aside from the Dell which may have a strange proprietary pin-out on the PSU, wouldn't risk it) to test the PSU in, do that. If it works, it may very well be the motherboard. If not, you still need to RMA the PSU.

Back