o 250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive
o 128MB DDR SDRAM ATI Radeon 9600 video card

* Dual-2.7GHz
o 512K L2 cache per processor
o Dual 1.35GHz frontside buses
o 512MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (8GB max.)
o 250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive
o 256MB DDR SDRAM ATI Radeon 9650 video card

Sources were unable to confirm at this time whether the systems will sport the dual-core PowerPC 970MP processor or the single-core PowerPC 970GX, although unconfirmed notes point to the PowerPC 970MP. The second core would deliver performance gains far greater than the 200-300MHz bumps each processor is receiving alone with the update.

Also uncertain is whether a more affordable single-processor Power Mac G5 system will continue to be offered. After axing the model with last June's Power Mac G5 revision, Apple re-introduced the less expensive 1.8GHz single-processor system in October 2004.

Keep in mind these are rumors. But if true, I wanna know where the PCI-Express bus is. :mad:

sweet lord. I cant believe the 2.7 supposedly still uses the 2x fsb multiplier. 1.35ghz fsb? geez.

Im going to bet if those specs are right, they arent dual-core. otherwise there would definently be a single.

I betcha the 2ghz will take a good price plunge. powermacs didnt sell too well well (in comparison) during the last quarter.

PCI-Express isn't going to come until revised processors come (970FX, MP)

Now this $3000 G5 is bottom line over 1 year? Someone needs to figure out how to mage G5 upgrades.

I laugh at the radeon "9650" though.

if accurate, they better knock a hell of a lot of money off the prices.

My Thanksgiving 2003 purchase of this Dual 1.8 is looking better and better all the time. I've gotten lots of use out of it and it's *still* not last generation going by overall design measure.

I REALLY hope the 970 MP or GX is in at least the 2.7 Ghz unit.

I am fine with these upgrades if they come with an internal redesign. A several-thousand dollar full tower workstation should have enough room for 3-5 drives, not two. That is why I ended up not buying a PowerMac - I didn't want a carefully designed and engineered beautiful looking tower surrounded by 3 firewire drives. I know there are mods to hold more drives but it irked me that I would have to pay $250 more just to do something that ought to be standard. I guess we'll see if this revision fixes that.

-Jeff

Goatbert said:
I am fine with these upgrades if they come with an internal redesign. A several-thousand dollar full tower workstation should have enough room for 3-5 drives, not two

Well you can get the $20 adapters that you screw in to hold 3 more drives, a replacement clear door allowing another 2, that totals to 7 which isn't too bad, but I know thoses are modifications and you have to buy an SATA card or IDE card.

Hey Centauri. This is *MY* M*$#!@F%&#@(% thread so I can hijack it. :rolleyes:

How do you like your X800? I keep trying to save up enough green for one but I always run short. Dis it turn your 1.8 into a fire breathing dragon, or the Geico gecko? :cool:

illgiveumorality said:
Well you can get the $20 adapters that you screw in to hold 3 more drives, a replacement clear door allowing another 2, that totals to 7 which isn't too bad, but I know thoses are modifications and you have to buy an SATA card or IDE card.

I saw a video on one that mounted them vertically in the rear of the case.. where do you get the door and the $20 adapters though? The one I saw was a couple hundred dollars.

Thanks,
-Jeff

I've never met anyone that actually NEEDS to have 7 hard drives inside their computer. 2 hard drives is limiting, and Apple should have used the space in front of the front CPU fans for 2 more, but 7 is nutz. Wonder how long your power supply would last? :rolleyes:

Anyone care to give me an example of a real life deal where one would actually need to have 7 different internal hard drives?

Selecter said:
I've never met anyone that actually NEEDS to have 7 hard drives inside their computer. 2 hard drives is limiting, and Apple should have used the space in front of the front CPU fans for 2 more, but 7 is nutz. Wonder how long your power supply would last? :rolleyes:

Anyone care to give me an example of a real life deal where one would actually need to have 7 different internal hard drives?

No idea, but I do need 4 or 5 (either 1 or 2 drives for the boot volume depending on RAID or not and 3 drives for a RAID5 array).

I'm turning a G5 into an inexpensive Mac OS X Server for work (a school).

-Jeff

Black Morty Rackham said:
What's wrong with Firewire enclosures?

because they create a lot of clutter and for the price of a g5 tower, you should be able to fit AT LEAST a couple more drives inside.

As for who needs that many drives, people doing serious media editing and people who need a lot of drive redundancy for whatever reason may

I think most of that is computer pecker matching...a mental holdover from the PC world.

You can get 400 GB SATA drives now for 280 bucks. 800 GB of HD space in your G5. None of these people actually *need* that kind of storage, I dont care what they do. The Desktop G5 is not a Xserve with Xsan or RAID arrays - it's a desktop computer.

A case can be made that it's not Apple's problem for only doing 2 hard drives, it's the people who mis-spec the machine for doing jobs it was not intended for so the builder can save a few dollars. I agree that the case should have 4 HD slots, but I dont agree it's the problem people make it out to be. Not with 800 GB of storage available.

I think lack of a second optical drive was a much bigger sin. The truth is, none of these issues have ever bothered me or getten in my way in the least. Maybe I'm not [H] enough. :(

this is a theoretical thought (I'm still pissed that my powerbook doesn't have room for 2 more hard drives and a pci-express slot :p ), but what if someone wants to run a high performance raid array using WD raptors? 144gb isn't too much storage now a days, especially with heavy duty content creation.

That said, for an average consumer, the expansion available on the current g5 tower should be plenty.

I would say that most power users that are setting up raids are going to use an external enclosure...correct me if I am wrong but when I was working with the external people they always were on externals (even on G4s)

Well Hitachi is coming out with those terabyte drives so all these little problems will drift away...

...[always]with money of course.

I don't think it's worth losing any sleep over, and it's no secret that Macs are pretty much overpriced, have limited versatility, and are absolutely beautiful. Remember, you can have everything you want in a Mac so long as you only want what's available. If it's not what you need, you can do three things; learn to live with it, fab/mod around it, or build a hoss of a PC (and write off FCP). :D

Carrera's have tiny trunks, but you don't buy them because they'll fit your whole set of luggage.

When I worked at Microcenter in Kansas City we had a guy come in with an Blue and White G3 (it was about 6 months old at the time) and he had hard drives mounted everywhere in this poor case. He was doing movie editing. he had drives duct taped to the top of the cd rom and anywhere else he could put them. Then again I think at the time the biggest drive you could buy was a 40 gig or so. The poor G3 got so hot that the front plastic piece was warped and the clear sides were dark.

Spaceninja said:
When I worked at Microcenter in Kansas City we had a guy come in with an Blue and White G3 (it was about 6 months old at the time) and he had hard drives mounted everywhere in this poor case. He was doing movie editing. he had drives duct taped to the top of the cd rom and anywhere else he could put them. Then again I think at the time the biggest drive you could buy was a 40 gig or so. The poor G3 got so hot that the front plastic piece was warped and the clear sides were dark.

That's gangsta.

I can't wait for these to come out. I just want the prices on the old ones to drop so i can pick up a dually 2ghz :D The stock config is fine i got pieces of my gaming PC i can rip out and use for the G5 :D

Hal|9k said:
I don't think it's worth losing any sleep over, and it's no secret that Macs are pretty much overpriced, have limited versatility, and are absolutely beautiful. Remember, you can have everything you want in a Mac so long as you only want what's available. If it's not what you need, you can do three things; learn to live with it, fab/mod around it, or build a hoss of a PC (and write off FCP). :D

Carrera's have tiny trunks, but you don't buy them because they'll fit your whole set of luggage.

any color you want as long as it's black :D

Amazon has stupidly posted the specs to the top of the line G5, and I'll say it as a sort of confirmation. I have no link, it was taken down.

* Mac OS X10.4, code named Tiger
* Dual 2.7 GHz PowerPC G5 processors
* 512 MB of DDR SDRAM
* 250 GB hard drive
* 16x Dual Layer SuperDrive (CD/DVD+RW)

I saw it before it was taken down. ConFIRMED, baby.

Pretty lousy upgrade. They better have PCIe on the next cycle or they'll lose teh momentum they have gained.

I would wait with the comments until we hear it straight from Apple. Hell, for all we know, that dual 2.7GHz is the low end model. Yes, I expect Apple to release a pathetic speed bump just as much as the next pessimist, but before we know, debating it is somewhat meaningless. ;)

I would wait with the comments until we hear it straight from Apple. Hell, for all we know, that dual 2.7GHz is the low end model. Yes, I expect Apple to release a pathetic speed bump just as much as the next pessimist, but before we know, debating it is somewhat meaningless. ;)

We want dual core chips!

I mean two dual-core chips of course.

Hell yes we do! A quad G5 would kick ass.

They're workin on it

Apple is getting power hungry, they say they want to be 1st place anything more than ever. We'll see what they do.

For now I want my 2ghz to work to it's full potential! Bring on Tiger!

Back