Think the S3 Chrome 20 will live up to their promises?

SpangeMonkee

[H]ard|Gawd
Posted on the [H] frontpage referencing this article.

The Chrome20 series of products use 90nm process technology. S3G have gone for low voltage and cool operating temperatures with Chrome20. They're also claiming the 'highest core clock of any GPU to date', though at the time of writing HEXUS doesn't have any clock speeds to share. However, what we do know is that it will have eight pixel shaders. Given the surge (if you'll excuse the pun) in concerns over power consumption, particularly with graphics cards and processors, performance per watt is the new buzz-phrase echoing around the tech-world and S3 are pitching high performance per watt as one of the key features of Chrome20.

I'm a little skeptical. I remember that the last (only) S3 card I bought (circa '94) didn't live up to the claims the box said. What do you guys think?

Its not like they are toting it as being a high-end card, I hope they can compete with a mid-range card. Competition is good for everyone.

Here in the US; I think if it's cheap enough, (as in cheaper than the Nv, Ati solution that it compares performance wise with), and if the drivers compare in quality/compatibility to Ati, Nv drivers, they might sell a few.. Even if they do that, it is one hell of an uphill battle to take market share from Ati, and Nv.. And almost impossible to take market share from Intel integrated should they try their hand in the OEM market.. But this product seems to be aimed at the mid range where competition is very tough, and if you ask me very dilluted.. Alot of very good products in the midrange... I don't know if they can make it there..

It may do well overseas.. We'll just have to see..

Edit: I know it will likely out-perform Intel integrated by a huge magin, and that it's not meant to compete in than arena.. Just saying that, that, is where the sales #s are.. And that if you are going to try to get into the OEMs, you will be competeing with it on some level...

maybe if they can get it into notebooks, otherwise they are wasting R&D money.

If it's around the performance of a 6200 with a similar feature set and reasonably priced, count me in :)

Oh, and with good drivers and dual-display support ^_-

Right now the highest core clock is the R480 right? 540MHz? So, at the very worst, this card has a fill rate of 541x8 pixel=4328 MPixel. About the same fillrate as a 6600GT or 6800NU. Not... toooo bad. But it's too bad in the sense that fillrate doesnt dictate performance a whole lot anymore.

Performance per watt is a buzz phrase?

How about this for a buzz phrase...
If it gives me 10 more FPS I'll strap a f'ng nuclear reactor on my PC

Buzz Phrase...
Ugh that alone is enough to make me not buy their crap.

Back