Thinking About a T61 for College

Oline61

Gawd
I have a few questions. I'm going to start with the 15.4" widescreen T61 configuration and upgrade a few parts.

I would like to go with XP Pro, but I'm wondering how much crap is going to be installed when I first boot it up. Is there an OS reinstall disk so I can wipe it and start with a clean slate?

I would like to order the T61 with the cheapest RAM option and buy a 2GB kit on Newegg to replace the stock RAM. Is it easy to replace the RAM in a T61? Will there be any compatibility problems with this kit for instance?

Other than that I plan on upgrading to the WSXGA+ screen, T7300, 80gb 5400rpm, and the DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer, Ultrabay Slim Drive.

Thanks for your help,
Oline61

I'm a bit envious... the only thing I'd change is a 7200 rpm hard drive.

I don't know about that particular ram upgrade. If no one here knows, perhaps the thinkpad forums can help. adding ram is easy, there are copious instructions on taking off the keyboard to get at the other slot: http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T61

That RAM should be fine. I just ordered some Patriot PC5300 for my X-60 tablet and it worked great. Replacing the RAM is very easy, just take off one screw and drop in the new RAM. You can look at the pictures online or even just flip the laptop over and look - all of the panels are labeled.

They do have a fair amount of thinkpad stuff installed but some of the tools are handy, like the disk active protection which locks the drive if it detects movement. They do NOT come with a disk letting you do a clean reload though...

Upgrading the screen is a good call, I did so on my x60 and love it. Depending on what warranty you order and the cost of upgrades you may even want to upgrade the drive after you purchase it. The new hard drives are getting cheaper and it would allow you to have a spare on hand.

Thinkpads rule :)

Thanks for the recommendations. I just finished ordering it.

I ordered pretty much the same config as listed above except with a 60gb 7200rpm drive. I'll order the RAM later and deal with the bloat once I can see it first hand. The Thinkpad software sounds useful, I just hope there isn't a bunch of trial software installed.

Again, thanks for your help,
Oline61

No trail crap, the only extra stuff is the IBM software. I got Vista on mine so I don't know what the XP loads look like but I doubt they have trial stuff. It is all full software that you can actually use.

Back