Thinking about getting a PS3

Hulk

Supreme [H]ardness
My xbox360 just got the RROD. I bought it two years ago but it was manufactured 3 years ago so MS wants $94 to fix it unless I find the receipt to dispute it. I heard that even if they do fix it they send you a refurb which will most likely get the RROD as well.

So...I'm thinking of moving to the PS3. I don't know anything about it though.

Which PS3 version should I get? What are some good games?

Is there a "Twisted Metal" game coming out for it?

Is it easy to hook it up to a monitor?

As far as I know there is only one version of PS3 available now. If your monitor support HDMI or DVI with HDCP then it is very easy to hook it up to a monitor.

As far as I know there is only one version of PS3 available now. If your monitor support HDMI or DVI with HDCP then it is very easy to hook it up to a monitor.

Pretty sure there are 40 gigs, 80 gigs, and 160s still being sold, although isn't the 40 now out of production?

Been a while, all these sku changes with the ps3 and the 360 are confusing to keep up with.

Are you making the jump just out of spite? For a $94 repair (or $200 new replacement) vs. a $400 for a new console and $$ to replace your existing library.

I got mine hooked up to my monitor with a HDMI to DVI adapter, and im using Optical into my X-Fi and listening through the computer. I like it a lot. :)

As for which one to get, I believe they all have pretty much the same features now that ps2 backwards compatibility was dropped, so go for any of them.

Are you making the jump just out of spite? For a $94 repair (or $200 new replacement) vs. a $400 for a new console and $$ to replace your existing library.

$94 for the repair, how about when the console RROD again later? ;) It would be better to buy another 360 as a replacement for $200 and get another 3 years warranty than repairing it twice. Now I know why 360 has such a high sales figure, people would buy it again when it fails :p

don't look at the PS3 as just a gaming console its a lot more with blu ray, easy to add large HHD and support for every media format out there it makes it the best media hub besides a standalone HTPC

i know for a fact that if my 360 red rings and MS won't fix because of no warranty i won't buy another to replace it. now my 360 is only a few months old so it is version that should be fixed but the red ring issue is well known and i refuse to give any more money to MS for this issue. and if there was a issue with the PS3 like the red ring issue i wouldn't continue to throw money at Sony either.

i think its dumb of consumers to reward companies by purchasing more then one of their products because of a fault of that product and that goes for anything, how may of us would continually buy a vid card, cpu, hard drive, ect from a company that had products that continually failed. we wouldn't.

look at the what you are going to use it for look at how its going to serve you in the years to come and make a informed decision based on that. but i will say that i don't regret my PS3 one bit and i went from never owing a console to owning both and i use both. but i love my PS3 i just like my 360

Here are a couple good reads

http://gamerlimit.com/2008/11/playstation-3-is-more-hardcore/

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2335038,00.asp

My xbox360 just got the RROD. I bought it two years ago but it was manufactured 3 years ago so MS wants $94 to fix it unless I find the receipt to dispute it. I heard that even if they do fix it they send you a refurb which will most likely get the RROD as well.

With out getting all caught up in emotions and before this becomes a flame war.

Currently, all the PS3's on the shelf are the same, other than hard drive space. In the past it's been a bit more complicated. Some having more features than other (some having wireless, some having more usb ports, some having BC). Sony has basically streamlined their PS3's, and the only real difference is hard drive space.

If BC is important to you, then you may want to look at getting an older model that supports it. Yet doing this will leave you with a used unit that is probably out of warranty by now.

My PS3 60G did die. The fan inside died, which caused it to overheat and die. It was out of warranty and Sony wanted $150 to get it fixed. I had bought the replacement plan from BestBuy, so I ended up swapping it out with a new 40G (no BC) BestBuy did me well and not only swapped out my system for me, but also gave me a $200 gift card since they were aware I was being downgraded to a 40G with no BC. Although, I haven't really missed BC, been to busy playing the most current games.

Sorry to hear you X360 died, it's always frustrating when stuff dies. If you do end up plop'n down on the PS3, be sure to add your PSN name to the PS3 user name thread :)

My xbox360 just got the RROD. I bought it two years ago but it was manufactured 3 years ago so MS wants $94 to fix it unless I find the receipt to dispute it.
Moral of this story... keep your damn receipts.

Seriously, anything even vaguely expensive just put the receipt in a folder or envelope somewhere and dig it out should you ever need it.

Moral of this story... keep your damn receipts.

Seriously, anything even vaguely expensive just put the receipt in a folder or envelope somewhere and dig it out should you ever need it.

Definitely.

I put that crap in a box in the freezer, because every time I open up the freezer and see that box I know whats in it.

Plus I don't have a filing cabinet.

it depends on what kind of games you play.
if you like a lot of multiplayer games go with the 360
while the ps3 online is good and free, it is not on par with the 360.
if you do get a ps3 some games i would highly recommend are: metal gear solid 4, little big planet, resistance 2.

I picked up the 80gb MGS4 pack when MGS4 hit the market. It has 4 USB slots, limited PS2 BC, and a full media card reader.
I think you're stuck with just picking whatever they have off the shelf though. As far as I know, that was the last one they marketed with the extra features tacked in.

if you already have an Xbox360 library of games that you play i would just eitehr get the it repaired or get another Xbox360.

the library of games is what costs the money (4 new Xbox360 games == 1 console)

if you do want to get a PS3 get the cheapest one youc an find, look on your craigslist and maybe here on the FS/T section.. i wouldn't pay over 300$ for a PS3 now, i see them used all the time for about that much.

if you want to buy a console that has literally less than 5 games worth playing, then yes, go buy a ps3. otherwise don't waste your money on it. wait for it to drop in price more. once they release final fantasy 7 for ps3, then it'll be worth it. but probably not until then. so far, the only thing ive enjoyed on that piece of shit was MGS4, Heavenly Sword, and a couple other bits here and there.

It took them too long to reduce the prices for their dev kits, and now they are paying the price. I was a hardcore ps1/ps2 dude, but this ps3 thing just sucks. It currently sits on top of my xbox acting as a gigantic heat sink for my hours with GTA4/GOW1,2

Yes, because all the multiplatform games don't exist... :rolleyes:

k, go find me 1 game worth playing on ps3 vs. xbox. controls, friends, and overall everything-quality is just so much better on the box.

maybe if i had close to half the number of friends with a ps3 that i do with the box, id agree with you. but fact is, im the only one with a ps3. everyone i know has an xbox. i had to buy an xbox just so that i could be with my friends and play games with them.

not to mention the ps3 controller is a piece of shit and the six-axis thing is totally worthless and poorly implemented. also it breaks if you drop your controller a couple of times.

only use ive found for my ps3 so far is youtube. for all my other media needs, my xbox streams videos from my pc far more smoothly.

id tell you to stop shit-posting, but i probably do it more than i realize. so :rolleyes: at you too buddy.

*edit* you make me regret buying a ps3 even more as you make me think about how i wasted money on ace combat 6 when i could have been playing it on the box :(

yes it does. you cant just use capital letters and proper grammar and punctuation and pretend to be correct.

my first line makes sense. theres also some other bits that makes sense and add validity to my post. the rest of it is just a justification for me and my original post. just because you dont like what ive said doesnt make me wrong or you right.

Yes, because all the multiplatform games don't exist... :rolleyes:

Yea, I honestly don't get people like that.

I have 20 games now for my PS3 (not including DLC)... so it's sometimes painful to read people saying the PS3 only has 5-7 games. Then all of a sudden the whole thread degrades into an exclusives battle.

Apathy: Not everyone here is you. Not everyone here has the same set of friends or situation.

As for the PS3 controllers sucking, that’s more of a personal preference. I have 4, all have been dropped many times (thank you drunken friends) and all still work the same way as the day I got them. Electronics in general can only be abused so much before they stop working.

Multiplatform games at this age of both consoles are virtually the same. One system may have better loading times, one may run smoother, one may have better textures. But for the most part, they are all mostly the same.

PS3 conroller sucks... It is the f*cking same design since PS1. Sony kept the design because it works really well.

either way its just some random web people's opinions. I had an xbox and wii, sold both lol. Im saving for a ps3.

and ps3 has Gran Turismo 5, Need i say more? :O

GRAN TURISMO FOR LIFE!

if you want to buy a console that has literally less than 5 games worth playing, then yes, go buy a ps3. otherwise don't waste your money on it. wait for it to drop in price more. once they release final fantasy 7 for ps3, then it'll be worth it. but probably not until then. so far, the only thing ive enjoyed on that piece of shit was MGS4, Heavenly Sword, and a couple other bits here and there.

It took them too long to reduce the prices for their dev kits, and now they are paying the price. I was a hardcore ps1/ps2 dude, but this ps3 thing just sucks. It currently sits on top of my xbox acting as a gigantic heat sink for my hours with GTA4/GOW1,2

aaaaaaaaaaaaand we go off the rails right on track.....

The only models currently in production is an 80 GB and a 160 GB. They are the same as the previous 40 GB with larger drives. No card readers, no PS2 backward compatibility. If you can find a leftover MGS4 package, it has all of that, with an 80 GB drive. A PS3 will take any 2 1/2 drive as an upgrade, has built in wireless, and BluRay. It also upscales DVD nicely. I probably use mine for watching DVDs more than anything else. It has been flawlessly reliable. It is some of the best money I have ever spent. If you hit Amazon or eBay you can probably find one of the older bundles, unless you don't care about the backward compatibility.

1) Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction
2) Racthect & Clank: Quest for Booty (PSN download)
3) Heavenly Sword
4) Uncharted: Drake's Fortune
5) Resistance: Fall of Man
6) Resistance 2
7) Metal Gear Solid 4
8) LittleBigPlanet
9) Folklore
10) Warhawk

Ten games worth playing, ten PS3 exclusives. You may not like the PS3, but that doesn't make it a POS.
My PS3 gets far more use than my 360.

Well that didn't take long did it. Here comes the battle of the exclusives.

I purchased a PS3 40GB model. It has no backwards compatability but I have an old ps2 for that if I really need it.

Currently i'm playing Fallout 3 and I think its the best game i've played on the platform since MGS4. Many on these boards feel that playing Fallout 3 on the PS3 is a waste of time, since visually its inferior when compared side by side the X360 and the PC. However I dont notice these "problems" when playing it I'm just having fun and it looks great on my 1080p 5.1 surround sound system. ...and isn't that the point? These visual problems both for or against either console are really just nitpicking, both are basically equal.

The real difference is games. I haven't ever owned an X360 but I honestly feel that the 360 has more games. The best find their way on both consoles, but it would be nice to have a larget selection. With that said the PS3 has many fantastic games.

Metal Gear Solid 4
- Is a must play for any PS3 owner, it is a great game that transcends genre boundries.
Little Big Planet
- Everyone has been talking about Little Big Planet. This is a game that you can play with your sister, wife, parents, etc.
Resistance 2
- Have been hearing very good things about Resistance 2. ...but dont know much more about it then that.

Ultimately you should head over to wikipedia and check out the list of ps3 games.

I think its an intersting time for both the 360 and PS3. 360 just released that new dashboard with the netflix, if thats something you or your lady likes (like mine would) it's a tempting option to just repair your xbox. The PS3 has this whole "Home" multiplayer/mmo system that it should be implementing before the end of the year (pst Sony only 1 month left!) which looks interesting. Will it take off or is just a bunch of fluff? Well noone will know until it happens, sounds interesting though.

Honestly if I was in your boat, I would repair the 360, and buy a PS3. It sounds like you really want to move over to the PS3, which are (in my opinion) definitely built better. However I would repair the 360 and use it if your interested in any of the new dashboard functionality or future exclusive titles on the 360.

PS3 conroller sucks... It is the f*cking same design since PS1. Sony kept the design because it works really well.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Love the ps3 controllers, need to get a DS3 though.

I think the 80GB MGS 4 version is available for $399. That's a sweet game to pick up anyways, so you get a game and system. When you move the PS3 between Component and HDMI, you have to hold the power button down for 7 seconds so it redetects the video. Sometimes people switch input types and can't figure out why the other one doesn't work. There is a new Twisted Metal PS3 game in development right now, but I can't remember what it's called.

The PS3 has this whole "Home" multiplayer/mmo system that it should be implementing before the end of the year (pst Sony only 1 month left!) which looks interesting.

It'll go open beta in the next two weeks as promised as the numbers have been ramped up and the servers seem to be holding fine...out of the 15 ppl who were online last night on my friends list all but one were in Home....as was I...getting my ass handed to me at bowling :D

It'll go open beta in the next two weeks as promised as the numbers have been ramped up and the servers seem to be holding fine...out of the 15 ppl who were online last night on my friends list all but one were in Home....as was I...getting my ass handed to me at bowling :D

Cool looking forward to it.

either way its just some random web people's opinions. I had an xbox and wii, sold both lol. Im saving for a ps3.

and ps3 has Gran Turismo 5, Need i say more? :O

GRAN TURISMO FOR LIFE!

the reason i bought a ps3 last spring. gt5p released.

hot shots golf is a reason enough to get a PS3.
Just don't think it won't break. My broke 1 month after warranty expired and had to pay 150$ to get it fixed. Sony don't let you to keep the hardrive, so I lost all my save games.:rolleyes:
Get extended warranty - back up your save files!

hot shots golf is a reason enough to get a PS3.
Just don't think it won't break. My broke 1 month after warranty expired and had to pay 150$ to get it fixed. Sony don't let you to keep the hardrive, so I lost all my save games.:rolleyes:
Get extended warranty - back up your save files!

Yea, I can't stress this enough. When my PS3 broke (some fan inside stopped working = overheat), I too lost my save files. But I also forgot my PSP works like a flash drive. Now everything is backed up and goes where ever my PSP goes.

Yea, I can't stress this enough. When my PS3 broke (some fan inside stopped working = overheat), I too lost my save files. But I also forgot my PSP works like a flash drive. Now everything is backed up and goes where ever my PSP goes.

I highly recommend for any console to BACKUP your saves! I keep a thumb drive in my PS3 and every now and then I backup my game saves. If I had an external HDD available, I would backup the entire system as well.

k, go find me 1 game worth playing on ps3 vs. xbox. controls, friends, and overall everything-quality is just so much better on the box.

maybe if i had close to half the number of friends with a ps3 that i do with the box, id agree with you. but fact is, im the only one with a ps3. everyone i know has an xbox. i had to buy an xbox just so that i could be with my friends and play games with them.

not to mention the ps3 controller is a piece of shit and the six-axis thing is totally worthless and poorly implemented. also it breaks if you drop your controller a couple of times.

only use ive found for my ps3 so far is youtube. for all my other media needs, my xbox streams videos from my pc far more smoothly.

id tell you to stop shit-posting, but i probably do it more than i realize. so :rolleyes: at you too buddy.

*edit* you make me regret buying a ps3 even more as you make me think about how i wasted money on ace combat 6 when i could have been playing it on the box :(

Your offensively biased Xbox fanboi-ism makes me glad you play on live and not PSN.

I love your controller comment. Im not saying your a moron, but your comments are :)

cheers.

Back