Thinking About Playing Through the MGS Series

simon741

Gawd
So the MGS Anthology is out and was wondering if the games have aged well and if I should play through them. I havent played any of the Metal Gear games except a small amount of 3rd which impressed me quite a bit. Are the 1st and 2nd (spec 2nd) still games worth playing through or should I just read through the plots on wikipedia? I have no need for a ps3 so I WILL NOT be picking up MGS4. Man I have so many games I need to finish this is unreal.

Metal Gear Solid 1 is the best imo.

part two is meh.

(keep in mind I've only played those two....)

Three is fantastic. Two was great fun, but the story was a littttttttle questionable at some points. I think 1 is the best, but I really enjoyed 3. I replayed 1 on the GC version, and it was very nice to have it graphically updated.

Tough call but 3 is my favorite. The full circle ending was just such genius.

As far as playing them, yes. This is what you do. Goto Wiki, read the original Metal Gear plot, the very first NES game. Then play them in order. Your mind will be blown. :)

Tough call but 3 is my favorite. The full circle ending was just such genius.

As far as playing them, yes. This is what you do. Goto Wiki, read the original Metal Gear plot, the very first NES game. Then play them in order. Your mind will be blown. :)

Or, simply get MGS 3 Subsistence, play through MG 1 and 2 on that, then start at MGS 1 ;)

And, to the OP, MGS Collection isn't out until 3/18.

You should definitely play through the whole series. Remember that you won't understand the whole plot and background story your first or even second time through the series.

MSG for PS is my all time favorite game for story. MSG 2 was ok. MSG 3 didn't hold me on to good since I didn't care to finish it.

Or, simply get MGS 3 Subsistence, play through MG 1 and 2 on that, then start at MGS 1 ;)

And, to the OP, MGS Collection isn't out until 3/18.

Oooo didn't know they were on that version.

Ok OP so you have to play MG1 and 2 THEN start at MGS, once again, mind blown. ;)

If you have a Gamecube or Wii, get MGS: Twin Snakes for it. Most reviews I've seen imply it's better than the original.

If I were in your position, I'd play MG, MGS:The Twin Snakes and MGS:Snake Eater in that order. MG2 and Guns of The Patriots were good games but you won't miss out on much if you skip'em.

I thought MGS2 was sons of the patrioits? And no, I im not going to bother playing through the nes version. I cant stick to playing old games like that.

Double Post
How long will it take me to finish these games? Are they pretty long? Difficult?

You are correct but MG2 and MGS2 are different games.
Depending on how good you are or how "easy" you want to play, their not that long. If you just want the story, Twin Snakes takes about 3, maybe 4hrs. Guns of The Patriots was about the same, I know the first part only takes about 40mins. I dont remember how long Snake Eater took me.
I should point out when I say 3-4hrs, thats time actually playing the game. Watching the cutscenes and "chatting" on you codec will eat time.

I bought MGS: Twin Snakes for the GC and MGS 2 and 3 for the PS2 a few weeks ago. Like the OP, i've never played them and wanted to see what the big deal was. I just finished the first disc of Twin Snakes, and while the story is interesting and I wanna know what happens next, actually playing the game is an exercise in frustration for me. There was no tutorial at all so I spent way too much time trying to figure out the controls. The controls themselves are clunky and annoying. I've never played Splinter Cell or any other stealth game so maybe I'm just not used to it? Watching the game is fun, but playing it is not. Nice cutscenes.

Yeah, getting comfortable with the controls take time. The story is pretty good if you follow from beginning to end (MG to MGS...) but there were parts that made me want to slap the writers (or translators) and audio team, just 'cause!

MGS 1 has some memoriable boss battles of any game.

MGS 3 was my favorite though. The ending was one of the best endings I have seen in a game, not to mention the last 2 hours of gameplay I was on the edge of my seat.

MGS1 was probably my fav with MGS3 as an extremely close second.
Since you can play the games in order now, it goes MGS3, MGS1, MGS2 leaving you with the "iffy" version of MGS. So hate it some like it. I'm OK with it. Wasn't as great as the others. Never bothered with the MSX (the machine it was on) but I mean...really, did any of those old classic games REALLY have good dialog.

"They Kidnapped the president...."

"After them!" *rocking music*

The dialog was good for games in those days. To the point. I disliked all the chit chat in MGS2. The best thing about Metal Gear was all the gadgets. It was the first fully actualized military/espionage/infiltration game.

It started a genre.

Just make sure you know the plot of the originals before you get to the end of MGS3. Your jaw will hit the floor when you realize how it all happens.

Does anyone know if you can download all 3 games cut scene/story. I want the story again but don't want to play through the game to get it and I don't even know where my MGS is at.

I may have to pick up a friends gamecube just to play twin snakes. Should I play it in the chronological order MGS3,1,2 or should I just got 1,2,3 and be more in awe over the twists and guessing in the story?
What the hell are the ciggs for that drain your health?

I may have to pick up a friends gamecube just to play twin snakes. Should I play it in the chronological order MGS3,1,2 or should I just got 1,2,3 and be more in awe over the twists and guessing in the story?
What the hell are the ciggs for that drain your health?

Play them in order of 1,2,3. If you don't play 2 there are going to be a lot of thinly veiled references that you'll totally miss that is going to subtract from the overall shit your pants factor.

I would pony up $35 for Twin Snakes and not even think twice but you could also make a WTB thread in FS/FT. I bet someone would have it that wouldn't mind letting it go for a little cheaper.

I would agree with picking twin snakes, it was quite good. Is renting it an option? May be a lot cheaper if you can manage it... The game itself isnt too terribly long honestly

MGS1 was probably my fav with MGS3 as an extremely close second.
Since you can play the games in order now, it goes MGS3, MGS1, MGS2 leaving you with the "iffy" version of MGS. So hate it some like it. I'm OK with it. Wasn't as great as the others. Never bothered with the MSX (the machine it was on) but I mean...really, did any of those old classic games REALLY have good dialog.

"They Kidnapped the president...."

"After them!" *rocking music*

You should play the games in order of release. Yeah, as far as time lines are concerned, MGS3's story takes place before the first two, but you need to have played the first two to understand a lot of the 3rd. Not to mention a lot of the in-jokes and personality will be more appreciated. The game is very derivative of the first two.

Another thing about the timelines, don't get too focused on them because you'll find things don't quite line-up from game to game. Especially with the 3rd, Kojima stated that the Timelines were fudged in order to make the story and scenarios more interesting.

Does anyone know if you can download all 3 games cut scene/story. I want the story again but don't want to play through the game to get it and I don't even know where my MGS is at.

Googled this for you

Anyone ever beat the original Metal Gear on NES??? I could never get past the damn tank at the end of 1st level.... the 1st MGS for the PS1 was my fav.. prob cause I never played the rest. :)

Back