Thinking about Xbox 360

CanonicalAbstract

Special Attention Whore
So after reading up a bit more in the Console section here at the [H], there is one thing that has been on my mind lately..

.... and that is finally plunking down coin for a 360 :eek:

It looks like the games for the system are quite steallar, and easily exceeds my expectations in any game system. Mature content, complex games, storylines. I don't go for the child-like things, I think the Mario / Sonic type stuff is where I draw the line.

But anyways, since I have Comcast, and always looking to use it to its full potential, I would most definitely get Live. So how much a month am I looking at for the cost of that?

Also, I know that some people were having problems with the system beforehand with hangups... has that been resolved?

This system should go nicely with my PS2, PSOne and Dreamcast (note; the reason why I have the PSOne is because my PS2 does not like One games for some odd reason).

Live is 6 bucks a month (you can also pay annually and/or find a year card in a package deal with a good game many times).

Normally I'm the type that'd say a warranty is a pure profit gimmick. Because these "bleeding edge" consoles (360, PS3) are pushing the space/heat issue so hard, though, I'm not sure that rule is as true this time around. You may want to consider the extended warranty through MS (call 1-800-4MYXBOX to purchase). It's $30 for an extra year, $60 for two years (I personally just went with the one year). The box comes standard with the 90 day from retail warranty.

Navy

you can get 1 year live cards for about 35-40 online if you look, especially here on [H]. monthly its about 8 bucks a month, which comes out to a hell of a lot more than 35-40 bucks.

it seems the problems have been resolved, but dont take my word on that.

Your best best (like others have mentioned) are the pre-pay cards. They typically give you some extra points and a free game, too. Mine came with 1000 points and Bankshot Billiards, which is the most expensive Live Arcade Game. Cards are typically between $40-60 depending on where you get it.
In terms of hang-ups...I think it's the software. For instance I haven't moved my system or power supply and Oblivion still hangs up on occasion. However I've put just as much time into Burnout and Ninja Gaiden Black and never had a single hang-up ever.

Semi-Hijack:

I've been thinking about getting Live for my original xbox. Is it the same rate? For some I reason I thought it was like $15/mo.

It looks like the gamer cards are the way to go, especially since I seem to go back and fourth between different games almost each month. I just want to make sure I am not going to be wasting my money not using the service.

Now for the online demos, do those cost anything extra per month?

Teh demos? Heck no, all the demos are free. :) Even to the non-paying (Silver) XBL subscribers.

And Slart, yeah, it's the same rate.

Navy

Mature content is what really interests me, as I don't give a care for kiddie like games. Kameo was the exception and it was surprisingly fun.

JSClark said:
So after reading up a bit more in the Console section here at the [H], there is one thing that has been on my mind lately..

.... and that is finally plunking down coin for a 360 :eek:

It looks like the games for the system are quite steallar, and easily exceeds my expectations in any game system. Mature content, complex games, storylines. I don't go for the child-like things, I think the Mario / Sonic type stuff is where I draw the line.

But anyways, since I have Comcast, and always looking to use it to its full potential, I would most definitely get Live. So how much a month am I looking at for the cost of that?

Also, I know that some people were having problems with the system beforehand with hangups... has that been resolved?

This system should go nicely with my PS2, PSOne and Dreamcast (note; the reason why I have the PSOne is because my PS2 does not like One games for some odd reason).

It just seems too expensive to me. If I were to start buying the expensive consolse, I think I would probably have to resolve myself to stop building big Windows-game-PCs for myself and just do budget stuff with Linux. I just can't justify paying for both. I kinda wish Windows would run Xbox360 games, then I could have fun with it; The hardware is so similar, they just seem to lack the will to make it happen.

Ok allow me ...

The Xbox 360 is the bargin console, best all around console for the money this next gen. Nintendos Wii is definately cool, and the wiimote is innovative. However, current gen graphics and no HD support is dissapointing :( Sony ? Please ... Their PS3 is hitting shelves a FULL YEAR after the Xbox 360, cost $200 more and offers NOTHING marginally better 'gamewise' to the 360. The only difference is the BD-ROM, and I'm not buying a console for DVD media content. <--- period

I was at E3 yesterday, I did my best to absorb all I could about all 3 consoles and quite honestly MS pulled out a showstopper. They are offering so damn much for the money, not to mention Live Anywhere which is coming to PCs and Mobile OSs January 2007.

I was playing Shadowrun on a 360 VS GUYS ON VISTA 20 feet from me. The bridge between consoles and PCs has been built, thanks to MS.

Buy a 360, you will not regret it.

theNoid said:
I was playing Shadowrun on a 360 VS GUYS ON VISTA 20 feet from me. The bridge between consoles and PCs has been built, thanks to MS.

Were they on mouse/kb or were they forced to use controllers?

Navy

Noid.. Be the first to answer the question of Mouse vs Stick.. who won? :D

* and before anyone starts.. i'm only kidding.. it's not to start a flame war about it. :p

NavyH16 said:
Were they on mouse/kb or were they forced to use controllers?

Navy

Keyboard and Mouse vs. 360 controllers.

Guess what ? The 360 guys were winning 18 rounds to 4. And the guys playing were ALL the developers. The pc guys were good too I watched, just that the 360 guys were ownage.

I will stand here and confirm, Live Anywhere is allowing PC gamers to play against 360 gamers online, starting with Shadowrun in January 2007. I was there at E3 yesterday doing so myself!!

ZeroH said:
Noid.. Be the first to answer the question of Mouse vs Stick.. who won? :D

* and before anyone starts.. i'm only kidding.. it's not to start a flame war about it. :p

No lies... only the truth.

Stick (controller) guys were on top... 18-4 (rounds).

The developers were playing and I thought.. "WTF.. the pc guys must suck or be downplaying this..." I walked over and watched them playing on the kb+mouse... they were good... but the 360 guys were flat out owning them. Surprised the hell out of me.

I'm looking forward to some pretty brutal PC v Console matches in the future. A lot of !!!!!!s on both sides are going to end up with bruised egos. :D

Psychotext said:
I'm looking forward to some pretty brutal PC v Console matches in the future. A lot of !!!!!!s on both sides are going to end up with bruised egos. :D

Yep. :cool:

lol...it would be funny if the console people end up winning more in the future, too.
PC gamers would start shooting themselves in droves because their almighty mouse still won't overcome a difference in skill level.

Back