thinking of a new build...

DarkSide50420

Bad Trader
hello [H] members i was thinking of doing a new s939 or am2 build but im not quite sure if i want to upgrade so this thread is for you to make me convinced.

i currently own three computers, one is my athlonxp 2500 barton sff gaming rig.
another is a web surfing comp old p4.., and the other is a s754 build that i took apart..

now what im looking to know is how much is it going to cost me for this build.

and what should be some parts to look at.

i dont want to go overboard or anything at all. some parts may be traded off from the parts i have now.

so here goes.

i know i want some kind of full tower or a cube case.
do not want intel at all.. only amd...
memory hmm well if i stay at reg ddr i have some pc4000 so looking towards that direction..
as for the rest i will let you guys deceide.

what do u plan on doing with it?? we need to know that to find parts that will suit your needs...

since you already have pc4000 id just stick with 939...

processor: amd x2 3800 gettting cheaper by the day (i think).. try to get a copper hsf like a zalman since it cools alot better...

mobo: get a biostar tforce 939 if sticking with sff if you want full atx get like an ultra d, i hear those are really nice,..

video card: 7600gt would be plenty for what u are going to do...

ram: use ur pc4000

hdd: however much you think you need.. (you can get a 320 gb sata2 hdd for under 100 now... thats the one i want to get eventually...

dvd burner.... get a light scribe and you wont have to worry about ink if you want to print on cd's you can just burn the image in... (not exactly sure how light scribe works)...

psu: for the setup i just mentioned id recommend 480 for a singel card or if you run 2 vga cards get a 550 w or better....

as for a case get whatever will suit you/ looks the coolest to you... whatever you want, afterall, its your money... ;)

again this is just what i think... if someone has a big beef with my idea PLEASE DONT HATE, APPRECIATE :p

well as i said im looking to do this budget as low as possible..

will need a nice lcd to go with it so i want to try this for under $500 if thats possible (including the lcd).

was looking at either a cheiftec full or mid tower or a cube case (not sff just the big cube ones)

so what i need ...
a s939 mobo with agp or pci-e..
a s939 cpu..might grab Lake's...
a pci-e or agp video card... like a 6600gt/x700 and up?
a sata150/300 hdd around 120gb or so..
a xp-120 hsf or a zalman9xxx series
a cube case/full tower cheiftec..
finally a psu... would this one work? http://www.octools.com/index.cgi?caller=articles/thermaltake/polo12/polo12.html

oh and a lcd... 19" or bigger.. so damn thats alot of searching..

DarkSide50420 said:
well as i said im looking to do this budget as low as possible..

will need a nice lcd to go with it so i want to try this for under $500 if thats possible (including the lcd).

was looking at either a cheiftec full or mid tower or a cube case (not sff just the big cube ones)

so what i need ...
a s939 mobo with agp or pci-e..
a s939 cpu..might grab Lake's...
a pci-e or agp video card... like a 6600gt/x700 and up?
a sata150/300 hdd around 120gb or so..
a xp-120 hsf or a zalman9xxx series
a cube case/full tower cheiftec..
finally a psu... would this one work? http://www.octools.com/index.cgi?caller=articles/thermaltake/polo12/polo12.html

oh and a lcd... 19" or bigger.. so damn thats alot of searching..
I'd go with a case psu combo since you dont need to get crazy power for your rig. It's a shame you missed out on woot last night... they had 7900gs for $140 that would have been a fabulous card for the system

ive been thinking.. i have a s754 mobo&cpu that i got two weeks ago was thinking of just setting that up so its cheaper to build but buy a new mobo maybe? one i have is just a cheapo gigabyte.. the cpu is a athlon64 3400+

Back