Thinking of a solution to a multiple monitor problem - Need some opinions

Proxy

Pumpkin Ghost
As of now I have a dual monitor setup, and have been considering adding in a third for various reasons. I play a bunch of different games with no issues, save for one game. There is one game I play at a competitive level, because of that I run a lower resolution than my native desktop resolution. Due to this, whenever I start the game up whatever is on my secondary display gets all stretched out, and moves off screen. So I always have to alt+tab and reposition my TeamSpeak windows and a few others.

My question is, what would be a good fix for this? Can I force desktop resolution on my second screen? I was thinking about getting just a cheap single slot video card to drive my second and possible third screen, would that help with this issue?

As of now I have a dual monitor setup, and have been considering adding in a third for various reasons. I play a bunch of different games with no issues, save for one game. There is one game I play at a competitive level, because of that I run a lower resolution than my native desktop resolution. Due to this, whenever I start the game up whatever is on my secondary display gets all stretched out, and moves off screen. So I always have to alt+tab and reposition my TeamSpeak windows and a few others.

My question is, what would be a good fix for this? Can I force desktop resolution on my second screen? I was thinking about getting just a cheap single slot video card to drive my second and possible third screen, would that help with this issue?

its just a windows issue with how it does the resolution. If you find a solution I am very interested! I also hate how I can never bother with icons on my desktop because they always move when my res changes even though they are all in places that are below my lowest res monitor but they still get messed up :/ If I could only lock their location :/

This is due to the way Windows treats the whole desktop as a single rectangle with its origin in the top left corner. If you have two monitors side-by-side and the monitor on the left is e.g. 2560 pixels wide, the right monitor shows the desktop starting 2560 pixels from the left edge. If the left monitor then changes to 1920 pixels wide, the right monitor shifts left by 640 pixels.

You can mitigate the problem by putting you primary monitor on the right. Then the coordinates of the secondary monitor don't change when the primary monitor's resolution changes.

This is due to the way Windows treats the whole desktop as a single rectangle with its origin in the top left corner. If you have two monitors side-by-side and the monitor on the left is e.g. 2560 pixels wide, the right monitor shows the desktop starting 2560 pixels from the left edge. If the left monitor then changes to 1920 pixels wide, the right monitor shifts left by 640 pixels.

You can mitigate the problem by putting you primary monitor on the right. Then the coordinates of the secondary monitor don't change when the primary monitor's resolution changes.

sucks for 3 monitors like me lol

Back