Thinking of getting a Macbook Pro

xeefus

Limp Gawd
As a (partly)desktop replacement, I'd like to move around with it too of course.

I do have some questions though

Aperture Universal Binary?
Photoshop CS1 exists as Universal?
Logic Pro Universal?
Maya works on it at all?
Gaming;
Warcraft 3 works on it? :)
Diablo 2?

I might get bootcamp to play games on if it does not work.

The heat problems were fixed with the C2D version? And the X1600 isn't underclocked any more?

Will most likely connect it to a 24" LG which soon is going to get released, it does have DVI right?

hms. I think the only thing I'll miss from Windows is Foobar2000 and the native gaming compability :p

MarkLT1 said:
Yes, it was one of Apple's first.

Nope, you'll have to wait for CS3.

Yup, V. 7.2 and higher are UB

From what I have heard, no it wont :(

Not sure on these.

of course.

Sweet. Thanks for that.

Any date for CS3? :O I'm most likely going to order right after christmas :)

Cool. But don't you need to run it on Rosetta then? With decreased performance? Oh well, it'll probably still work well? :)

Warcraft 3 runs well on the Mini? that's nice. Under Os X that is right?

Warcraft 3 doesn't take very much to run it well, don't worry about it. In fact, don't worry about a thing, just buy it :D

xeefus said:
Cool. But don't you need to run it on Rosetta then? With decreased performance? Oh well, it'll probably still work well? :)

Warcraft 3 runs well on the Mini? that's nice. Under Os X that is right?

Yes it runs very well on my mini under Rosetta with integrated graphics. I don't think you'll have much of a problem with an x1600. :p

Okay, the thing to remember about Rosetta:

It's fucking awesome, as far as emulation goes. Software running via Rosetta on a Macbook Pro generally seems to offer performance comparable to a late-generation iBook G4. Some things are faster, obviously, and others are slower. But on the whole, it seems fairly comparable to a G4 CPU at about 1-1-5 gigahertz. Now, that might not sound terribly amazing, but consider the following facts:

*On my iBook, with its 1.33GHz, I've run Photoshop on >10 megapixel images, with no performance issues at all. The only that was even close to slow was gaussian blur and other such filters.

*Warcraft 3 runs with every single setting at the absolute maximum.

*A while ago, I used a 20" Intel iMac (Core Duo variant). When I was rendering one image, I was touching up a previous one in Photoshop. So that's A) Photoshop running via Rosetta and B) the CPU being hogged by modo. Even then, performance in Photoshop was good.

Really, Rosetta on a Macbook Pro isn't an issue unless you have really high requirements.

Black Morty Rackham said:
Okay, the thing to remember about Rosetta:

It's fucking awesome, as far as emulation goes. Software running via Rosetta on a Macbook Pro generally seems to offer performance comparable to a late-generation iBook G4. Some things are faster, obviously, and others are slower. But on the whole, it seems fairly comparable to a G4 CPU at about 1-1-5 gigahertz. Now, that might not sound terribly amazing, but consider the following facts:

*On my iBook, with its 1.33GHz, I've run Photoshop on >10 megapixel images, with no performance issues at all. The only that was even close to slow was gaussian blur and other such filters.

*Warcraft 3 runs with every single setting at the absolute maximum.

*A while ago, I used a 20" Intel iMac (Core Duo variant). When I was rendering one image, I was touching up a previous one in Photoshop. So that's A) Photoshop running via Rosetta and B) the CPU being hogged by modo. Even then, performance in Photoshop was good.

Really, Rosetta on a Macbook Pro isn't an issue unless you have really high requirements.

Oh, I had no idea about that :)
I've never used Rosetta under Mac, but all I've heard was like things going slow. Only heard, not tried myself. :)
I do not have too high requirements on the performance under rosetta, but as always, the faster the better.
Thanks!

xeefus said:
Warcraft 3 works on it? :)
Diablo 2?

It depends on what Diablo 2 disc you have. Early ones (like mine) seem to be Windows-only, however most are "hybrid" discs that will run on OSX or Windows (it should say so on the CD itself).

You might also want the OSX Native Installer Blizzard released.

Warcraft 3 & Diablo 2 LOD were released as hybrids from the start, so there isn't a problem with those. Just stick it in and install. :)

PikachuMan said:
It depends on what Diablo 2 disc you have. Early ones (like mine) seem to be Windows-only, however most are "hybrid" discs that will run on OSX or Windows (it should say so on the CD itself).

You might also want the OSX Native Installer Blizzard released.

Warcraft 3 & Diablo 2 LOD were released as hybrids from the start, so there isn't a problem with those. Just stick it in and install. :)

Oh... The non-expansion is not hybrid? I bought the game on the release date :/ And the Expansion too, on the day it got released.

illgiveumorality said:
..don
't worry about a thing, just buy it :D

This is the single most insightful comment I've ever heard regarding the Macbook Pro. It's a great machine and worth every penny. It may hurt initially when you look at the price, but believe you me, this is one awesome desktop replacement. My only gripe is they didn't give it a higher resolution screen on the 15.4"

xeefus said:
Oh... The non-expansion is not hybrid? I bought the game on the release date :/ And the Expansion too, on the day it got released.

Well, on my disc it just says "Windows 95/98/NT4" or something like that, but no mention of Mac support. I tried getting it to install, and even with the native installer blizzard released...no joy.

a ronin said:
This is the single most insightful comment I've ever heard regarding the Macbook Pro. It's a great machine and worth every penny. It may hurt initially when you look at the price, but believe you me, this is one awesome desktop replacement. My only gripe is they didn't give it a higher resolution screen on the 15.4"

Heh, yeah I think I'll be happy with it. But I was worried about the resolution being TOO high, so I'm not really concerned about it... :)

Black Morty Rackham said:
Early versions of Diablo 2 were Mac OR Windows. Later versions, including the Battlechest, are Mac AND Windows.

Oh, but maybe I'll just get a new copy of it then :) Not too much money involved.

Back