Thinking of getting a tablet

Gabe3

2[H]4U
I'm thinking about replacing my 07 macbook with a tablet cause I'd like a more portable device and all I use my macbook for is browsing and email 90% of the time anyway

dont know if I should get the playbook, touchpad, or a honeycomb tablet. the touchpad attracts me the most because of the gestures, UI, and multitasking. but its at least 3 months away, and it won't have many apps. all 3 above options will cost $500 for the cheapest models. my 4th option is the ipad first gen 16gb wifi only, which you can get a refirb one for $350. $150 cheaper than the other options and has a huge selection of apps, problem is no flash, no widgets, stale UI. playbook and touchpad wont have widgets either, but will have flash.

curious what others are planning to buy. the ipad seems like the best bang for the buck, it even has hdmi out now with the $40 dongle, hdmi out is a requirement for me. I'm not very fond of the UI though, I've been around the block with iphones. I'm hoping at wwdc this year they have a new UI for ipads that at least has widgets and notifications.

Only because Google is holding on to the source code a bit longer. Once it's out and about (if that happens, of course), XDA folk will tear into it and produce a proper Honeycomb port for the NOOKColor and it'll work great, that much I am 110% sure of.

I second the NOOKColor recommendation, actually.

But you sound like you're a Mac user since you already have an MBP, so... I guess in the long run you stick with what you know.

The Asus Transformer will be out in a few weeks, Best Buy has it rather aggressively priced (according to the leaked pricing info from the other day) at $399.99 and it'll be a far better buy than the XOOM, for sure - but only if Best Buy actually honors that price.

That's Honeycomb outta the box...

Only because Google is holding on to the source code a bit longer. Once it's out and about (if that happens, of course), XDA folk will tear into it and produce a proper Honeycomb port for the NOOKColor and it'll work great, that much I am 110% sure of.

I second the NOOKColor recommendation, actually.

But you sound like you're a Mac user since you already have an MBP, so... I guess in the long run you stick with what you know.

The Asus Transformer will be out in a few weeks, Best Buy has it rather aggressively priced (according to the leaked pricing info from the other day) at $399.99 and it'll be a far better buy than the XOOM, for sure - but only if Best Buy actually honors that price.

That's Honeycomb outta the box...

yeah the nook color would really be best bang for the buck, getting something that doesnt have honeycomb out of the box will get me the most for the money which I like. the Viewsonic G-Tablet is $300 and it has a tegra 2, android 2.2, they are working on getting honeycomb on it but I guess they need the source code cause progress is going no where.

I'm not really a mac user, I've used a little bit of everything. first gen ipad just seemed like alot for the money, ios UI is really stale to me and not having flash is a turn off. which is why touchpad, playbook, or a honeycomb device is what I'd rather have if its the right price. going to check out the asus transformer for sure.

The biggest complaint that pretty much every single G-Tablet owner makes is about the screen quality because it simply sucks ass in all possible ways. It's got horrible off-axis viewing, it's not very bright at all, and some other things that owners have commented on. It's basically $300 for a reason, and can be found for much much less just 'cause they want to get rid of 'em. :)

At this moment, I'm looking at the Asus Transformer or the HTC Flyer myself. The Flyer looks to be one wicked evil cool piece of hardware when it's rolling out, and that should have a Honeycomb base running HTC's somewhat improved Sense UI (which you can choose not to use, iirc). Having the stylus makes it a true tablet in my opinion: tablets you can write on, slates just use fingertips... big difference when it's needed.

Yeah, the Flyer is the first Android slate that's piqued my interest because of the pen digitizer. Unfortunately it's an N-trig digitizer and it's the same one that's used in the HP Slate and it's simply not in the same league as Wacom pens, definitely usable. I'll have to see if it suffers from classic N-trig problems.

checked out the transformer, I want it, especially if its really $400. I wonder if its getting delayed? one would think they would already have a release date and price announced if its coming out in early april.

htc flyer, not sure about that, 7" screen is kinda small. I thought my netbook I had a couple years ago had a small screen at 10.1", I don't know if I want something under 9" unless I can fit it in my pocket.

Fry's is taking pre-orders for the Samsung Galaxy Tablet (not Tab) Wi-Fi only model at $349:

http://www.frys.com/product/6568143

I've never seen Fry's do a pre-order so... considering the date I'm not 100% sure this is completely legit but it probably is.

For myself personally, I'm still going to lean towards the HTC Flyer. I've never had issues with HTC products, from my still incredibly useful Dell Axim X51v (HTC built it for Dell), through other products, to the HTC HD2 that I owned and expect to replace soon, to the Flyer which is shaping up to be a "must buy" for me, right behind the NOOKColor I'm still working on acquiring. ;)

Fry's is taking pre-orders for the Samsung Galaxy Tablet (not Tab) Wi-Fi only model at $349:

http://www.frys.com/product/6568143

I've never seen Fry's do a pre-order so... considering the date I'm not 100% sure this is completely legit but it probably is.

For myself personally, I'm still going to lean towards the HTC Flyer. I've never had issues with HTC products, from my still incredibly useful Dell Axim X51v (HTC built it for Dell), through other products, to the HTC HD2 that I owned and expect to replace soon, to the Flyer which is shaping up to be a "must buy" for me, right behind the NOOKColor I'm still working on acquiring. ;)

yeah, my HD2 is the second htc device I've had. they are a solid company. what are you replacing your HD2 with? the transformer is more machine for only $50 more if the $400 price is for real. theres 600 replys on that engadget link for it, I'd imagine another 600 if the price is fake, lol. i'll be let down.

I LOVE my Nook Color. It will hold you over until something more significant comes out for HC. I got mine for $207 on ebay last week. Easy to root and many custom ROMs. A fine device indeed.

yeah, my HD2 is the second htc device I've had. they are a solid company. what are you replacing your HD2 with? the transformer is more machine for only $50 more if the $400 price is for real. theres 600 replys on that engadget link for it, I'd imagine another 600 if the price is fake, lol. i'll be let down.

I'm not replacing it with anything but another HD2, of course. :D I had to sell it to get out of a hole full of bills recently but I got a decent price. Now I just have to find another one at some point. Right now I don't know whether to focus on the HD2 first and then the NOOKColor or the other way around - I'll probably lean towards the HD2 and actually get it set up as a proper phone. The one I had before was basically used as a kick ass PMP in the time I owned it. :D

The color nook is like a kindle right, no retro-illumination with paper like ink and background, correct? I'm getting a bit tired of my kindle since the controls are pretty cumbersome and the interface isn't that intuitive. Plus it doesn't read PDFs all that well. I was itching to buy another device to replace it.

The NOOKColor is a 7" eReader that with a little effort can be transformed into a near perfect Android tablet with all the bells and whistles (just no 3G stuff, it's Wi-Fi only). It has - arguably - the finest 7" screen ever put into any portable electronic device: it's an IPS panel, it's absolutely brilliant when you actually use one in person, and after using it for a little bit, most people come to realize it's far more than a simple eBook reader and capable of so much more.

But that screen... oh man, it is truly gorgeous. Yes, the iPads use IPS screens too but they're larger devices. The NOOKColor to me is about as perfect as a device with a 7" display can possibly get - the form factor is flawless for that device.

Note: you don't HAVE to root it or do anything at all really, it's a fantastic device in its own right straight outta the box, but again, it can be so much more with just a little time and some code.

The NOOKColor is a 7" eReader that with a little effort can be transformed into a near perfect Android tablet with all the bells and whistles (just no 3G stuff, it's Wi-Fi only). It has - arguably - the finest 7" screen ever put into any portable electronic device: it's an IPS panel, it's absolutely brilliant when you actually use one in person, and after using it for a little bit, most people come to realize it's far more than a simple eBook reader and capable of so much more.

But that screen... oh man, it is truly gorgeous. Yes, the iPads use IPS screens too but they're larger devices. The NOOKColor to me is about as perfect as a device with a 7" display can possibly get - the form factor is flawless for that device.

Note: you don't HAVE to root it or do anything at all really, it's a fantastic device in its own right straight outta the box, but again, it can be so much more with just a little time and some code.

have you heard if the screen on the transformer is good?

If the Transformer has an IPS screen, and I'm kinda doubting that, and it still makes it in at the $400 price point... wow, just... wow. :)

I'll definitely have to do a hands on if that's the case, but it's not looking that way. According this info at Asus.com it could just be another TN panel or whatever; the Asus Eee Pad Slider is supposed to have a 10.1" IPS in it, but that's actually the first time I've even seen it mentioned so it probably won't even come to market:

http://milandesignweek2011.asus.com...viding-choice-through-innovation-at-ces-2011/

This video done back at CES makes the claim that it is an IPS panel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKGu_iJUaVE

Man I hate it when people call those Asus products "Triple E" - it's Eee, just like it looks and exactly how it should sound.

"Triple E..." - that's hilarious. :D

And this one says it definite is since it's a hands on review done just yesterday:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/laptops/review/2011/03/31/Asus-Eee-Pad-Transformer-Hands-On-Preview/p1

Upon getting out hands on the Asus Eee Transformer for the first time, we were initially struck by its screen. We've reviewed several Android tablets of late, including the Creative Ziio and Archos 101, but none have come close to matching the quality of the Transformer's 10.1in display. Like the Apple iPad, it uses an IPS (In-plane switching) display producing incredible viewing angles. At any angle, horizontal or vertical, what's on-screen is very clearly viewable. In budget tablets, the importance of viewing angles is often neglected, stopping them from becoming devices you can comfortably watch a video with a friend or two on. There are no such issues here.

Small IPS screens are really not that expensive these days. It's when they get over 10" they start to become pricey. The next convertible Tablet PC I buy will hopefully have an IPS of AFFS screen as the costs should be finally be at the right point. The screen isn't isn't even then expensive part, it's the Wacom digitizer. The digitizers in 12.1" Wacom based Tablet PCs cost somewhere close to $200 I hear though I've never gotten hard confirmation, but they aren't cheap as you don't seen them in inexpensive devices.

After playing around with both the Nook Color and Ipad 2. I find the 7" form factor perfect for my needs. I thought it would be too small but it's actually perfect for portability.

heres a link for the 32gb version on newegg, its out of stock.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230019&cm_re=eee_pad-_-34-230-019-_-Product

specs say its display is: LED-backlit IPS Capacitive Touchscreen

someone in the engadget comments said yesterday it was on newegg for $399 with the dock, but also out of stock. I highly doubt its going to come with the dock for 399, I think accessories will be where they try and make the money.

It's not even for sale yet, won't be available in retail channels till mid-April.

Speaking of Wacom, saw one of these in a pawn shop this morning:

http://www.wacom.com/cintiq/cintiq-21ux.php

in excellent condition too, asking $700 for it. While I'm not an artist of any degree, damned thing is huge and would probably be fun to play around with. :p

$700 in a pawn shop, somebody was VERY desperate, those things generally go for a lot more.

As for the item being deactivate on Newegg that probably just means that they have don't know exactly when they plan to get them in.

Yah, I figure the owner probably got $300 tops for it, maybe $350 so, definitely a loss there but it was in great shape at least from the external perspective. I didn't get it attached and powered on, but it did have the stylus in a protective casing taped to the back, had all the cables, etc. No physical damage at all that I noted.

Wonder what the LCD display itself looks like... I gotta say I hate those slightly "foggy" screen coverings just irk the fuck right outta me, including on the Toshiba R25, but I can handle it. ;)

Last edited:
The color nook is like a kindle right, no retro-illumination with paper like ink and background, correct? I'm getting a bit tired of my kindle since the controls are pretty cumbersome and the interface isn't that intuitive. Plus it doesn't read PDFs all that well. I was itching to buy another device to replace it.

I've used a kindle and there is NO comparison. The nook has the finest hardware yet that I've seen on a portable device. It's extremely portable and sturdy; the screen really makes me disappointed when I have to go back to my EVO. If B&N has the rights, they should continue to upgrade and sell the device; it's a killer platform. Screens perfect, form factor is perfect, only needs a mic really and perhaps GPS. Since B&N isn't really interested in becoming a phone retailer I hope they create an open infrastructure around the device and it generates enough cash to keep the place going. I love the thing esp as an ereader with fbreader.

What about the Archos 70, similar specs to the Nook. No coding/hacking required for Android 2.2. Simply just install the market .apk for the official google market and you're all set!

The Nook will receive an OTA update for 2.2 this month so no hacking will be required for Froyo. I'm on CM7 Tablet Tweaks and it's awesome. Personally, not really interested in the update, but I know a lot of ppl prefer to stay stock.

The Nook will receive an OTA update for 2.2 this month so no hacking will be required for Froyo. I'm on CM7 Tablet Tweaks and it's awesome. Personally, not really interested in the update, but I know a lot of ppl prefer to stay stock.

If all I did was root my NC, can I download the stock update and still have the ability to load my own market programs?

If all I did was root my NC, can I download the stock update and still have the ability to load my own market programs?

There's not really a clear statement on what may occur to a rooted stock NC. To my knowledge, one of two things will happen: a) you will receive the update just fine b) the OTA update will unroot your device and/or you may have to re-register your NC

If you rather not face the uncertainty then you need to change a line in your devicemanager.db. There are a few threads on XDA on how to do it. Not that difficult, but you need sqlite.

dont know if I should get the playbook, touchpad, or a honeycomb tablet. the touchpad attracts me the most because of the gestures, UI, and multitasking. but its at least 3 months away, and it won't have many apps. all 3 above options will cost $500 for the cheapest models. my 4th option is the ipad first gen 16gb wifi only, which you can get a refirb one for $350. $150 cheaper than the other options and has a huge selection of apps, problem is no flash, no widgets, stale UI. playbook and touchpad wont have widgets either, but will have flash.

curious what others are planning to buy. the ipad seems like the best bang for the buck, it even has hdmi out now with the $40 dongle, hdmi out is a requirement for me. I'm not very fond of the UI though, I've been around the block with iphones. I'm hoping at wwdc this year they have a new UI for ipads that at least has widgets and notifications.

I also hope that iOS 5 brings about a UI update. I don't need widgets but the notification system needs to be updated badly.

Otherwise, the iPad is the best mobile OS tablet option right now. Lighter, thinner, significantly faster and smoother than anything else at the moment, and the best developer support and applications out there. I don't think that non-iPad tablets will begin to compete in any one of these areas until 2012, then maybe it will be time to reevaluate.

Lack of Flash doesn't bother me as I pretty much only use Flash on the desktop for watching video, and almost all of the major video and streaming sites support video for the iPad in mobile Safari or in standalone applications (primarily sites with protected content like Hulu, Netflix, etc etc).

If price is a concern then there are things like the Nook and the Archos. I'm not a fan of the Nook as an e-reader or as an Android tablet, and I don't understand how Archos can still be in business with their substandard devices and how quick they are to drop support when their next new thing comes around.

iPad 2 is the way to go right now, otherwise I would wait and see when other companies come out with better products than they have now.

i'd spring on the nook color if the transformer $400 price is bogus. but google hasn't said anything about honeycomb source code being released. might not happen for a long time, maybe never.

Back