Third Cable Cut Compounds Net Woes

HardOCP News

[H] News
What are the chances that three, count them….one, two, three undersea cables have been in a three day period? Seriously, what are the odds of that?

A submarine cable in the Middle East has been snapped, adding to global net problems caused by breaks in two lines under the Mediterranean on Wednesday. The Falcon cable, owned by a firm which operates another damaged cable, led to a "critical" telecom breakdown, according to one local official.

ON TOPIC, I do think there was some sabotage here since they are usually marked on maps and expensive to repair.
Plus if the ever found out who did it there are HUGE fines involved, not to mention depending on the country forfeiture of the vessel.

I read this on CNN yesterday. What I'm thinking is two cables might've gotten damage long ago but nobody realized it until they lost their third and last cable, then someone asked "say what happened to the other 2 cables? We shouldn't have gone offline with one broken cable"

They know when a connection goes down, but who knows if they were willing to replace any until a certain number of connections went down. It all depends if they were able to bypass the load onto another cable/route, or if it was just redundancy or whatnot. Who knows how they had the setup ran. Anyhow, this really isn't of much concern. They can re-string these things no problem.

Well, I guess Dell is pretty screwed now since they outsourced their tech support to India.........

I say get your downloading done. Because if your really think about it. Cutting a good number of the under sea cables would screw up the world more than almost anything else. Yea there is sat com, but that's a lot more limited. And trust me goverments will hog that for thier own use.

Yea I'm a bit of a nut.. but think of it. They are mostly unguarded. Not going to take much to take out. And would cause A LOT of chaos! And all it would take is a small sub. I'm sure a few million could buy a sub.

WOW this could turn out to be fun!

Ok who's got numbers on some of the atlantic line!

pfft.. if you tried to sabotage Atlantic cables with your own vessel, US nuclear subs would find you in a heartbeat. Then you wouldn't be laughing. :D

Yea, but not before you could complete the job. THat's a lot of ocean to cover. They bunch them things to gether for easy of service. I recall another time things were buched together for ease of service... we lost hos many ships in peral harbor that day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_international_submarine_communications_cables

That's nice unclassified list of public lines. I'm sure there are a number of classified lines the goverment(s) don't want to show you.

Oh I'm having fun just thinking about how little or much it might take.

I read this on CNN yesterday. What I'm thinking is two cables might've gotten damage long ago but nobody realized it until they lost their third and last cable, then someone asked "say what happened to the other 2 cables? We shouldn't have gone offline with one broken cable"

I read about this on dslreports.com before that, But I do think that 1 is a mere coincidence, 2 is possibly something weird going on, 3 is very suspicious If someone were to ask. So far the middle east is affected and so is India and Pakistan too. :eek:

I read about this on dslreports.com before that, But I do think that 1 is a mere coincidence, 2 is possibly something weird going on, 3 is very suspicious If someone were to ask. So far the middle east is affected and so is India and Pakistan too. :eek:

I'm not too sure about that. The terrorists need the internet as much as we do. Why cut their own legs off instead of disrupting internet lines in the United States or in Europe?

Without the internet, Al Qaeda lost their most valuable recruitment, communication and propaganda tools.

If I wanted to play conspiracy theorist, I'd say, with that thought, maybe it was coalition ships who took the lines out.

But that's highly unlikely.

I say get your downloading done. Because if your really think about it. Cutting a good number of the under sea cables would screw up the world more than almost anything else. Yea there is sat com, but that's a lot more limited. And trust me goverments will hog that for thier own use.

Yea I'm a bit of a nut.. but think of it. They are mostly unguarded. Not going to take much to take out. And would cause A LOT of chaos! And all it would take is a small sub. I'm sure a few million could buy a sub.

WOW this could turn out to be fun!

Ok who's got numbers on some of the atlantic line!

not even a sub, just a surface ship and a rov with the proper attachments.

I just found out that the lawyers from the RIAA cut the cable thinking it would stop file sharing.

You don't need any technology to do this at all. A strong chain, a good anchor, and a powerfull boat. I've seen it done, accidentally, with a power cable in Plymouth, UK. It shut an entire Naval dockyard for a weekend.

The sea is a big place - these cables cover vast distances - it would be far far too easy for someone to do this, intentionally, without ever being identified.

Doug

It was the "Cloverfield" monster,he's still hungry after taking a bite out of the Big Apple!:D

maybe it was India themselves that cut the lines, too many xbox360 repair calls driving them nuts.

Oh yeah, and ATT drops out for some people too? It sounds like somebody is messing with teh interwebs.

Steve, back away from the scissors. We all know it was you who cut all three cables. ;):p

The report linked here seems to indicate that the first two were probably a two-for-one deal, which lowers the chances of it being intentional a little. Still makes one wonder.

As far as the Atlantic cables, I think they run deep enough to be a bit of a challenge, either for a sub (it would have to be well-made enough to handle the pressure that deep) or an anchor (don't think a standard anchor cable goes that deep). An ROV might be easier though.

Yeah ok, Pakistan and China among others have more trustworthy government than we do :rolleyes:

Who would trust any government fully? I certainly don't, no matter who's it is. Too damn much secrecy!!!:mad:

Strange. 4 days ago someone online was predicting that the "Internet would Shut Down" within the next 2 day period.

Interesting.

Sounds selfish, but I really only care that it doesn't affect me. Strange that these cables are all cut or damaged at the same time. I am suprised oceanic seismic activity doesn't cause more touble than it does in Eastern Asia.

Who would trust any government fully? I certainly don't, no matter who's it is. Too damn much secrecy!!!:mad:

I understand that. I'm just rolling my eyes at his singling out the American government for conspiracies as if we're the only country in the world who does it.

*wink* The really interesting part of this is not that the cables are cut, but to see who reacts, how they react (what is their "Plan B", so to speak), and how long it takes them to adjust, and finally, how long it takes to repair the cables and who does the repair.
All in all, an excellent study.

If they told the public everything they knew, you'd be running around like a chicken with your head cut off. The large majority of the public couldn't handle what the president has to hear every day. You'd probably think half the shit is made up that crosses his desk because the rest of the world is so screwed up. You really don't know how well off you really are.

Back