Thoughs on design

Sz1hart

Limp Gawd
Hello all,

10876_clean_offset.jpg

I need your input on the design of my layout. Please notice that this is in fireworks and nothing is final. Im thing of making so that when you click digitool, info about it well appear on the bottom and etc for the rest. Notice right side isn't done yet. This is also for my school so :)

Im also looking into creating my own website soon and was wondering if there is any thing that could help ease the pain? Is there a way for me to import my work from fireworks to dreamweaver and create my site like that?

Also, does anyone know where I can learn to use dreamweaver, or something to create a website?

Thanks

ummm i dont know what to say without you taking it rudely.

Consider all this constructive criticism.

its entirely too cramped, busy, and wayyyyyyyyy to much mixing of colors.
every font is either different or its a different style, color, size. The black and blue text is way to difficult to read. What is with all the different colored and squiggily/angled lines?

you need something less 'loud' and more visually appealing.

it just seems that you are trying to hard to overdo it and do to much with it. One thing i learned a while back was "K.I.S.S" {aka Keep It Simple, Stupid!} Whitespace is your friend! there is no need to have every possible area covered with something. That is just bad design.

Also, how are you planning on converting this to a web site? Simply creating a graphic and 'importing it' into dreamweaver, etc....its not that easy. Sure I imagine there are some sites out there that are just some pictures thrown together, but that is just downright BAD!

Bookstores are your friend. Take some day off and go to your local Barnes & Nobles, Borders, etc, and pop into their COMPUTER/DESIGN section.

Check out their design books. There are alot of good things out there to help teach you how to start using the programs you want to learn. Just take the time to browse through them and find one that is right for you!

^^^^^ What he said.

Too many fonts.

Too many contrasting colors.

Too much in too small a space.

In the left column at one point you've got black text on a dark gray background...I had to lean in just to be sure I was right in thinking there was text there. I can't read it at all.

As for the overall design, it's confusing. I'm not sure where my eyes should go; I spend ten seconds just trying to figure out what is important information, what is a link, and what's just decoration.

How to fix it:

Make all your links the same color and style. You want them to stand out and obviously be links. Underlining always helps.

Use one, MAYBE two font styles in your text.

Use less contrasting colors. The green and yellow thing is bugging me :)

On the right, instead of alternating bold and normal fonts, either put some space between sections or subtly change the text color (spacing is better).

Clean up your border. The green and grey parts work, take out the other colors. Or just don't use so elaborate a border, either way.

Are you school colors neon green and black?

You need to scrap this design and just start over. Next time start simple, use legible fonts, and maybe incorporate your schools colors into it.

Heres and example of a great school design. http://www.hiram.edu/index.html

Its just amazing but its quite simple too, the designer didnt try to do too much.

lol, sorry for not being to clear in my post but Im still working on it. The overall/finish design won't have that name colors(2-3) and about 1 text type. This was just to give my teacher something to choose like if she like X text over Y text.

Sorry if I didn't make it clear. Thanks for the feedback and i'll upload another one to show what I mean, however just remember that it isn't finish :)

This isn't going to be the school website, just a project we had to do.

Thanks for the help.

Back