Thoughts about Ikea Jerker and Fredik?

leetpyro

Limp Gawd
Hi guys,

I've been interested in buying an Ikea Jerker lately, and I was wondering what a decent price would be for the desk (just base shelf), plus 2 "hutch" shelves, and 2 swivel arms?

Also, what do you think about the Fredrik? I understand that it probably pales in comparison, but what about it in general? Would you pay $170 for a new one?

Thanks in advance.

Hi guys,

I've been interested in buying an Ikea Jerker lately, and I was wondering what a decent price would be for the desk (just base shelf), plus 2 "hutch" shelves, and 2 swivel arms?

Also, what do you think about the Fredrik? I understand that it probably pales in comparison, but what about it in general? Would you pay $170 for a new one?

Thanks in advance.

not if see something on my local CL. for me if I'll buy a desk a used one should be fine... especially when you can find most of them on CL for <90

The last time I was at my local Ikea I had a chance to check out the Frederik, and it felt a little flimsy to say the least. I went with a slightly more expensive Galant desk instead; nice wide and deep surface, rigid frame and legs (unfortunately no shelves or other appendages). And as far as I am aware the Jerker series was retired a while ago.

Well the thing is, all the people on CL aren't responding back to me for whatever reason, except 1 person who is willing to sell the desk with 1 hutch shelf and 2 swivel shelves for $180. I think that might be too much, but I'm not sure if its reasonable for this desk.

Maybe I should just wait for the other people to respond first? Some of them are selling it from like $80-100, however no swivel shelves, and if I were to buy the swivel shelves alone, it would be $30 each.

What do you guys think I should do?

Idunno 180 is a bit steep. I recently bought one on CL for 65. included one swivel arm and the extra shelf. so if you're lucky you can find them cheap. if you're in a pinch and really want/need one I'd say 180 alright. you might be kicking yourself later if you don't. also if it's not in great condition then you can easily talk him down. that's the great thing about CL you can haggle. the $65 one I got was listed at 75.

Idunno 180 is a bit steep. I recently bought one on CL for 65. included one swivel arm and the extra shelf. so if you're lucky you can find them cheap. if you're in a pinch and really want/need one I'd say 180 alright. you might be kicking yourself later if you don't. also if it's not in great condition then you can easily talk him down. that's the great thing about CL you can haggle. the $65 one I got was listed at 75.

Thanks for the response. I just found another listing, basically identical, for $130. Actually, this one also includes the Ikea Signum cable management system. I'm thinking that's much more reasonable, isn't it? But of course I have to wait for the person to respond which I don't even know if that's gonna happen...

It really annoys me, because all these people only have their CL email on there, but don't seem to check it. :\ I know everyone is different, but how long do you usually wait for people to respond?

The last time I was at my local Ikea I had a chance to check out the Frederik, and it felt a little flimsy to say the least. I went with a slightly more expensive Galant desk instead; nice wide and deep surface, rigid frame and legs (unfortunately no shelves or other appendages). And as far as I am aware the Jerker series was retired a while ago.

I have a Fredrik and it's far from flimsy. It's a very solid and well put together desk. I originally intended to get a corner desk, but once I saw this I had to grab it, it's awesome.

I have the plain desk Fred. Its fine for me, just a little wobbly if you intentionally shake the desk, but other than that, works great.

I have the plain desk Fred. Its fine for me, just a little wobbly if you intentionally shake the desk, but other than that, works great.

imagine your desk with a printer on it.... those print heads cause a whole lotta shake rattle and roll. my jerker moves about but I'd hate to see a fred with a printer on it.

I just lucked out and bought a jerker with 2 shelves and 1 swing arm today off CL for $35. Picking it up Tuesday. :D

I just lucked out and bought a jerker with 2 shelves and 1 swing arm today off CL for $35. Picking it up Tuesday. :D

Wow congrats. I don't think I'm going to be paying as much as I said in the first post anymore, because the people that I emailed about a week ago finally gave me a response. :) Hopefully I can get the desk for well below $100 now.

well picked it up today and just finally got it put together. Absolutely love it, best desk I've ever owned!

Almost picked up a Jerker myself for $50...

But (2) Galant tables, both with extension table top, for $50 was too hard to pass up!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Bought one for my room and another as a spare:p:p:p:p:p

Almost picked up a Jerker myself for $50...

But (2) Galant tables, both with extension table top, for $50 was too hard to pass up!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Bought one for my room and another as a spare:p:p:p:p:p

Wow that's a lot of surface area. Very nice find. I can only find Galants here for like $100+ no extensions.

I've got a Jerker I've been using now for about 4 years. I only wish they made a wider/longer version that still had the shelving options on top. Other than wanting it to be larger, I can't think of any way to improve it. Very sturdy, clean looking and all around nice to use.

Although it doesn't look as sturdy, it is plenty strong for a computer desk. Before I got my galant, I had the wider Frederik and I put my P180 case and a 22' monitor on it. Rock solid if you ask me.

However I wouldn't pay 170 for a new one, after buying my galant.

Back