Thoughts/Ideas Corsair H50 mod (kinda)

MassiveOni

n00b
heya,

i am getting tomorrow one of the corsair h50 water cooling kits, and ive watched a few of the video reviews, and installation guides (mainly cause im bored at work, like now), and i have had a brain wave (and yes it did hurt)

ok here is my idea

on 2 of the video install guides it says that you should have the air getting pulled in from the back of the case.
i was going to replace the stock corsair fan, for a pair of noctua nf-s12bflx fans i bought the other week, but that is not the brain wave.

the brain wave was, having the hot air vented straight out of the case via the fan is the side of the case, but the only problem is that i cant find 120mm fan tubing, i can only find the 80mm tubing

so the 2 questions i have is

1. does anyone know where i can get the 120mm fan tubing from

and

2. if i use the 120mm to 80mm reducer to attach it to the fan, and then 80mm tubing, and then a 80mm to 120mm expander to attach it to the side of the case, will it stuff anything up, cause of pressure build up or anything like that.

just in case i havent explained myself very well, this is how i have thought of setting it up

(case wall) (120mm fan) (corsair radiator) (120mm fan) (120mm to 80mm reducer) (80mm tube) (80mm to 120mm expander) (side panel)

i hope someone other than myself can understand that, but basicly i want to vent the hot air from the radiator straight out of the case.

ideas anyone?

thanks

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, you want put your H50 on a closed air loop, so that the heat it produces isn't introduced into the case environment (or as little as possible). I'd suggest checking out dryer hose at your local Home Depot/Lowes/etc. It's usually the perfect size for 120mm fans and some of it looks pretty damn good (aluminum/foil type appearance). The only caveat I'll leave you with is to make sure you monitor your system board temps since you'll be reducing your exhaust flow from the sound of things.

heya, cheers for the reply,
airflow in my system is all good, i have 2x 120mm fans in the front, and a 140mm fan in the top.
you do understand what i am trying to do, is pull the air from the back of the case, thru the radiator and 2 fans (push pull method) and then push the hot air straight out the side of the case.

i have found, on ebay, 80mm tubing and 120mm to 80mm reducer, but what i would like to know, is will it affect air flow? cause i am trying to push more air thru a smaller pipe, or do i have my thinking wrong cause i have been at work too long?

thanks

heya, cheers for the reply,
airflow in my system is all good, i have 2x 120mm fans in the front, and a 140mm fan in the top.
you do understand what i am trying to do, is pull the air from the back of the case, thru the radiator and 2 fans (push pull method) and then push the hot air straight out the side of the case.

i have found, on ebay, 80mm tubing and 120mm to 80mm reducer, but what i would like to know, is will it affect air flow? cause i am trying to push more air thru a smaller pipe, or do i have my thinking wrong cause i have been at work too long?

thanks
You will reduce your airflow, basically because you're restricting your flow. Simply put, your fans won't push as much air as if they were pushing/pulling from a full, 120mm diameter tube. More so, the constriction will cause more noise due to the turbulence created by "squeezing" the air into the 80mm tube as well as it speeding up as it goes through the smaller tube. The radiator fans might make more noise too, as they not only are pushing/pulling against the radiator, but also into the 80mm tube. There's also a possibility of creating deadspots/low flow areas in the radiator, although someone with more water cooling experience than I should verify this.

Those are all concepts/issues to consider. What you're planning can certainly be done, but there will be drawbacks, and to what extent I can only guess. My suggestion is if 120mm tubing is available (a la dryer hose), why not use it and avoid most of these issues?

heya,

i have been looking for 120mm fan tubing, but i have been unable to find anyone that sells it, i know i can use tubing from a dryer and stuff like that, i am able to get that from most hardware type stores, but i was hoping to find something which has the fan screw mounts like the 80mm tubing in the link.

does anyone know where i might be able to source the 120mm version of the tube in the link?

thanks

It is not a bad idea from a working standpoint but I have to wonder if just cutting a blow hole in the top of the case towards the back, maybe even to fit one of the larger 140mm fans if the case is wide enough, would be easier. Fan cutout templates can be found on the net and 3 minutes with a jigsaw with a fine tooth metal cutting blade and a drill and you are done.

This has the advantage of helping remove warm air from the entire case as well as the H50's contribution and helping with overall airflow (front bottom fan will start working better) and you do not loose the intake of the side fan which is critical if you have or later add any kind of high performance video card.

If your case has the power supply mounted at the top and it has a large (120mm) bottom fan, I would not worry about the situation at all, the power supply fan will exhaust most of the added warm air with only a very slight increase in power supply operating temp which should not be an issue and might even end up lower with the increased intake from the bottom front and side fans.

heya billparrish
i have a 140mm fan in the top (near the back) of the computer, i have an antec 300 case.
i have just purchased the corsair h50, so i am just waiting for it to be shipped now.
my power supply is in the bottom of the case, so that is no problem.
what i was going to do is see how much clearance/room in the case after the h50 cooler has been installed, cause i have just thought, that there might not be enough room between the top of the video card, and the side of the case to get the tubing in without crushing it.
atm i have a single 5750, but i am buying next week a set of 5870's so that is another thing i have to think about,
but atm, i am just going to wait and see how things go.
thanks everyone for your input

heya borocay,
yeh i found that when i did a google search, but it is not really what i am trying to do, as it is not flexible so i not able to get the heat piped out to side panel,

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1512127
Simply turning my ECO's fan around and putting both top fans to exhaust dropped my CPU temps 5-6°C, and the generic "System" temp actually dropped 18°C. I assume the sensor was simply now directly in the airflow of a fan or something (I don't think my case temps are 18° lower overall), but that's still quite a drop.

If you really want to do the duct, http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/th12fandubl.html is kind of close to what you're looking for. Or you can make your own with dryer vent and plexi. There really don't seem to be a whole lot of 120mm options out there...

hey,
i havent bothered with the ducting idea, cause there wouldnt of been enough room in the antec 300 case for it, but it has drop the temps of a i5 750 by about 21degC so im more than happy

Back