Three Words of Fear: Meter Read Notice!

ReelMcCoy

Limp Gawd
Living in So. CA, the summers can be brutal and if past Department of Water & Power bills where any examples, these three words struck fear in my bank account given I've had two systems running at least the GPU clients 24/7. My normal summer W&P bills would have any reasonable person sputtering and convulsing while unplugging anything plugged into an electrical outlet. And so it was.... The dreaded meter read notice came last week and this week, the bill! Imagine my shock when the bill was actually BETTER than I expected and not much more than it was with the previous bill before churning on WUs! I expected to have to stop folding and putting everything to sleep when not in use but WOOT! FOLDING ON!!!!

Go [H]orde!

Awesome man! We always need moar D!!...How much do u pay per kWh?

I am in MD and I pay a whopping 13.3 cents per kWh...

yeah people tend to over react thinking computers use more power then they actually do. the difference between my computers idling 24/7 and running full load 24/7 is about 10 dollars.. the difference between my system being on 24/7 and putting it to sleep when im not using it is about 3 dollars. so in the end it costs me a whole 13 dollars to run my system full load 24/7. mind you my electricity bill is only 45-50 dollars a month anyways :p

i pay .06180 cents per kWh for the first 600kWh and .07178 cents after that. this month i used 809 kWh because of my stupid roommate using the AC in her room which im about to break so she cant turn it on ever again.

Fold on!!!

My wife sees our bill and she always asks me...do you have to keep your computers on 24/7. I try my best to avoid THAT conversation :)

She knows about F@H, but that doesn't mean she always likes the electrical bill when we get it.

Fold on!!!

My wife sees our bill and she always asks me...do you have to keep your computers on 24/7. I try my best to avoid THAT conversation :)

She knows about F@H, but that doesn't mean she always likes the electrical bill when we get it.

just do what i did to get my parents off my back from running 3 computers in my room and do the math and show the difference in the bill between them running and when they arent. when i moved out they expected their bill to drop a ton. guess what. it didnt because it wasnt my computers using all the power. it's all the stuff in the theater room. the tv alone uses more power then my main system. the amp being on 24/7 uses more power then my second system that was running WCG on the cpu. just them watching a movie with said amp turned up used more power then all 3 of my systems combined. but of course those things are more important to them then my 3 computers running DC projects.

Fold on!!!

This is what I had to deal with at 1 point.

But now that colder weather is rolling in I'm back up and running again after laying off for 5 months. My machine helps offset the cost of running the furnace in the winter :). Also helps that my computer sits about 10' from the thermostat, lol.

Yeah the exhaust from two of my rigs point right at the thermostat. They are technically in the laundry room but when the door is open the exhaust air flows right past the thermostat as they sit on a table. These are old monster cases too with their loud as hell high speed 80 MM fans so that air is actually Moving. I don't notice the drier running with these things running.

I will be curious to see how much that will push the temps in the house this winter. I can see my wife now asking me why the house is so much warmer when we leave the laundry door closed!

Yep, I am a huge fan of using FAH heat to warm the house.

DWP tiers power rates and the rate table depends on the season but it's like $0.0702 for T1, $0.08520 for T2 and $0.12 for T3 per kWh. Of course the bulk of the bill is tier 3 use. :) But yah, $814 just for power alone. ~60 day billing cycle. Just hope no other surprises come up (I'm looking at you WHS box! 2 drives failing?! *WHACK*)

A few years ago I lived in Indianapolis and the electricity there actually got cheaper if you broke 1000 kwh's per month. I think it was a 25% discount. It was pretty nice as I always seemed to hit 1000kwh or at least 10 months a year.

Mine also has a discount for higher usage at least on winter rates. In winter I am at $.0612/kwH for the first 750, then $.0412/kwh after that.

Back