Thunderbird to Live Mail

Tanis143

Gawd
Ok, I know people will say I'm crazy, Microsoft products suck, etc etc, so please keep it to a minimum. I've been using Thunderbird for a while now and frankly I'm tired of the lag when trying to select multiple emails, lack of standard hotkey/shortcut support (hitting ctrl + q shuts down TB instead of marking emails as read) and I want to migrate back to windows life mail (win7 version of OE). Now I face a major dilemma. Live Mail won't import from mbox and every single mbox to eml conversion tool I've used does not produce a single eml file but instead breaks up the mbox into individual email files. Has anyone had any luck with this? Normally I wouldn't care too much about all the email, I would just forward the important ones back to myself then re-download them but I recently purchased a house and all the documentation was sent via email and I really don't want to risk losing the original headers and whatnot.

Or, has anyone been able to fix the lag in the viewing pane of TB?

I don't remember the last time anyone here said Microsoft sucks. That's the difference between people who know what they are talking about and those who don't.

Even Vista gets a great amount of love here, where most novices bash the hell out of it. What does that tell you?

Sorry, I can't help you but I have to say that Windows Live Mail is awesome and I do prefer it over Thunderbird. TB is not bad but WLM is polished and easy to use.

I don't remember the last time anyone here said Microsoft sucks. That's the difference between people who know what they are talking about and those who don't.

Even Vista gets a great amount of love here, where most novices bash the hell out of it. What does that tell you?

That intelligent people do post here :D But there is always the fanboy where ever you go.

I just wish there was someone who has done this that could help. I've checked the MLM forums and they were no help.

Ahhh!!! Success! This provided the crucial step I was missing. I was under the assumption that converting from mbox to eml would create a file that I could just drop into my mail storage location and presto I would be done.

So, in order to help others who might search this out like I did, here is how you can move from Thunderbird to Windows Live Mail or OE (outlook doesn't support this, but you can move to WLM or OE and then transfer to Outlook)

First, download and install the importexportools addon for Thunderbird

Once installed, right click on the folder that has your email (if your anal retentive like me you'll have about 30 folders to do this to), click on "export all email/export to eml" then click a location to save it. Do this for all folders. Then open OE or WLM, right click on inbox, new folder, and create the folder. Once done, open up the folder on your computer where you saved the exported email, select all and drag and drop into the new folder on OE/WLM. Presto, mail moved!

Back