Tiger and Hidden Files

Captain Kirk

Limp Gawd
Anyone know what happened to /.hidden in Tiger? It appears to have gone off missing. I'm primarily interested in making two directories (/sw and /man from Fink) hidden. I didn't see anywhere you could do this under Finder->Get Info. While doing some "Google research," most sites pointed out the SetFileInfo utility. They say to obtain it on the Developer Tools CD. So I suppose the questions I have are: a) where do I get the dev tools? b) how do I make a file/directory hidden?

Thanks!

Captain Kirk said:
Anyone know what happened to /.hidden in Tiger? It appears to have gone off missing. I'm primarily interested in making two directories (/sw and /man from Fink) hidden. I didn't see anywhere you could do this under Finder->Get Info. While doing some "Google research," most sites pointed out the SetFileInfo utility. They say to obtain it on the Developer Tools CD. So I suppose the questions I have are: a) where do I get the dev tools? b) how do I make a file/directory hidden?

Thanks!

Aren't the dev tools on the system install CD?

Anyway /.hidden still exists... I can see it from a shell, but I'm only ssh'd into my Mac from work so I can't see what you're talking about in Finder.

where is this folder supposed to be listed at? I just did a find on my ibook and couldn't find anything (visible or invisible) that had hidden in it...if you are looking to make a file a hidden file you can do it via terminal and using sudo or you could do from single user mode

gigglebyte said:
where is this folder supposed to be listed at? I just did a find on my ibook and couldn't find anything (visible or invisible) that had hidden in it...

Open a shell and type ls -la /.hidden to see it on the drive.
Or you could just type cat /.hidden to see what the file contains.

I don't exactly know what it's for though...

I think folks are missing my previous statment. .hidden is GONE:
Code:
ls: /.hidden: No such file or directory

Back