Tiger direct 300gb Hard drives for under $90.00 after MIR

Pringals

Gawd
TigerDirect-Harddrives.jpg

MAXTOR Diamond Max 10 300gb SATA 16mb Buffer

SEAGATE Barracuda 300gb

I highly recommend the Maxtor...

Brian

Tiger Direct recently started a deal where they will guarentee rebates if you send them in with Certified Mail Return Receipt Requested. Sux but at least you'll get it eventually.

To qualify for the TigerDirect.com Rebate Guarantee you must comply with the following:

Complete the attached rebate form and follow all the instructions that apply.
Submit the rebate via Postal Service: Certified Mail Return Receipt Requested by the required postmark date to the address on the rebate form.
Please make copies of all materials submitted:
Rebate Form
UPC, Barcode or Serial Number
Invoice or Receipt
Postal Tracking Information

TD no longer has a reputation for screwing people on rebates. Even before their rebate guarantee program. That was a long time ago and people still propagate the same old hearsay that 99% of them never experienced themselves. I've bought from TD numerous times, and have gotten every rebate except one mfg rebate (not TD's). Called up TD and they issued me a credit on the spot. So if you don't mind the hassle of rebates, and you submit them properly, you have no worries with TD.

But just to make sure send the mail with tracking number at least. Because you never know when you get caught into the act.

But great price for 300GB SATA drive.

Qtip42 said:
Dare I order 4 of them....... hmmmm

If you do then just realise you'll probably only get one rebate back. Most are limited to one per household.

No need for a tracking number if sent Certified with return receipt. And You HAVE to send like that, or else you failed to follow the terms of the rebate offer, and they can legally screw you. Last time I had a tiger direct rebate, before this new program, I made copies of what I sent them, and after 6 weeks, I called up. Got the short end of the stick, so I filed a small claims suit. Received my rebate + legal fees within a week.

Malatov said:
TD no longer has a reputation for screwing people on rebates. Even before their rebate guarantee program. That was a long time ago and people still propagate the same old hearsay that 99% of them never experienced themselves. I've bought from TD numerous times, and have gotten every rebate except one mfg rebate (not TD's). Called up TD and they issued me a credit on the spot. So if you don't mind the hassle of rebates, and you submit them properly, you have no worries with TD.

Thank you, wish people would stop trashing Tiger Direct when they don't have any clue what they are talking about, nor do they have any personal experience. TigerDirect as of recently has switched to OnRebates for their rebates, and any problem you have with manufacturer rebates is not Tiger's fault. Did anyone blame Newegg when Soyo's rebates weren't worth them money they were printed on? No, so why is Tiger Direct different?

Not to mention they also recently reduced their shipping prices.

Sending certified + return receipt is more secure, BUT...

This is smart and makes sense, but let's say the rebate is for $20 or even $30 then the cost of doing certified + return receipt is a big % of that rebate.

It only makes sense to do it when the rebate amount is > $50

Roberty said:
If you do then just realise you'll probably only get one rebate back. Most are limited to one per household.

Which is why you have friends, right?

chaostic said:
No need for a tracking number if sent Certified with return receipt. And You HAVE to send like that, or else you failed to follow the terms of the rebate offer, and they can legally screw you. Last time I had a tiger direct rebate, before this new program, I made copies of what I sent them, and after 6 weeks, I called up. Got the short end of the stick, so I filed a small claims suit. Received my rebate + legal fees within a week.
That's how it's done... I never had to go to small claims, but I have made a phone call to Best Buy about a rebate before. Usually, when I send off a rebate, I do like you and make copies and then I file the copies away into a folder. Most rebates say something like "allow 4-6 weeks". I usually let that time double, then pull the file and follow up on it. On the 2 rebates I had to go "pull the file", I was given a check within a week.

I never had problems with Tiger Direct. They recently moved and over the last 4-6 months were dealing with many issues businesses run into when they relocate. This will be my 3rd purchase from them in the last 2 months. I decided to purchase the Maxtor Hard drive. I plan on transferring all our old VHS home movies to a digital format. (Something I've wanted to do for a long time with all the family videos around the house). Then offer these to family and/or friends on a DVD.

so the 16mb cache is worth it over the seagate 5 year warrenty?

how is maxtors rep for this hdd?

Vulcanworlds said:
so the 16mb cache is worth it over the seagate 5 year warrenty?

how is maxtors rep for this hdd?

That's for you to decide.
I was just pointing out options.

3 Year warranty, 16Mb, sata, 300GB
5 Year Warranty, 8Mb, pata, 300GB

same price.

and as for all the naysayers who claim that I'm not familiar with TD screwing people over. I have a client who has complained to me not 6 DAYS ago about not getting a rebate for over 3 months on a TD item, so bite me. and some rebates ARE tigerdirect, and not manufacturer.

Tigerdirect said:
Maximum of 5 Rebate Guarantee claims per household per year

So, you can only buy 5 rebated items a year from them? Why would they care if the rebates are MANUFACTURER rebates?

And if these rebates on these drives are manufacturer rebates, then why must the drives be purchased from TigerDirect? Why doesn't monarch have the same rebate?

Oh, and to make an envelope a certified mailing.. costs $2.30
Return receipt is $1.75

Oh.. and btw.

Tigerdirect and onrebate.. are in the same city, even in the same area of miami.. (miami has like.. 20 zip codes...)

TigerDirect
7795 W. Flagler St. Suite 35
Miami, FL. 33144

Onrebate.com
P.O. Box 3028 Miami, FL 33144
1-888-222-9300
Copyright © 2005 Onrebate.Com.

If you *check* the whois information [or for that matter.. tracert information]
on both companies..

You'll find they are BOTH HOSTED by the same webhosting company.

onrebate.com has a private registration...

Could all of this be because Onrebate.com is OWNED by tigerdirect?
Naaaaah.....

chaostic said:

That's not the terms of the rebate itself..

That's the terms of the rebate guarantee.

:rolleyes:

Of course you're entitled to your opinion -- have at it. Don't buy from TD. Fine. I still don't see where YOU had any experience with them, only a "client." Again, heresay.

And to address some of the glaring misrepresentations of your post:

So, you can only buy 5 rebated items a year from them? Why would they care if the rebates are MANUFACTURER rebates?
No. Read it again. It says you can only make 5 claims for non-payment of rebate in a year. TD is paying you if the MANUFACTURER doesn't. They have to set some sort of limit for themselves or scammers would be scamming THEM, especially when mfg rebates are out of TD's hands. The claim limit is not unusual and is common with many other "guarantee" type programs.

And if these rebates on these drives are manufacturer rebates, then why must the drives be purchased from TigerDirect? Why doesn't monarch have the same rebate?
Happens all the time. Manufacturers often work out deals with certain vendors to offer rebates, anybody who works in retail will tell you this. Same thing happens with Office Depot, Staples, CompUSA, BestBuy, etc -- one store will offer a rebate on a given item when other stores selling the same item do not.

If you're going to make an argument defending your opinion of TD, at least try to put together a convincing and informed one. All you've done here is offer the same vague, misinformed, and baseless propaganda that many others have on the subject, without any real meat to your argument.

Malatov said:
:rolleyes:

Of course you're entitled to your opinion -- have at it. Don't buy from TD. Fine. I still don't see where YOU had any experience with them, only a "client." Again, heresay.
That would be because
1) Most of our companies purchases are volume purchases through the same distributors places like monarch, newegg, and tiger direct get THEIR stuff from.

2) One off purchases for 'specialty' items are usually routed through "more reputable" companies such as newegg, monarch..etc - Monarch if we need something tomorrow, since they are so close to us, or if we need something extremely heavy, such as 20 monitors as we can just "go pick them up"

If you're going to make an argument defending your opinion of TD, at least try to put together a convincing and informed one. All you've done here is offer the same vague, misinformed, and baseless propaganda that many others have on the subject, without any real meat to your argument.

So, how long have you worked for TigerDirect?

Malogato said:
So, how long have you worked for TigerDirect?
Heh, that's funny. :) Sometimes I wish I *did* work in tech retail, then maybe I could get some better deals, or at least sign up for some of these tech retail employee purchase programs.

Suffice it to say I don't work in or for any form of retail establishment, nor have I ever (outside of the bagging job I had at a grocer when I was a teenager over 20 years ago). I work in the manufacturing industry, in the same state as you apparently since you mention Monarch being so close. Therefore my comments are based strictly upon my own TD experiences and what I've observed from many others. As I've said before, go to PriceGrabber.com and compare the reviews of TD and Newegg. TD has the same 4.5 star rating as Newegg, but has about 75% more reviews than Newegg. That's a helluva lot of reviews and they still manage a 4.5 average rating -- which would be pretty tough if *most* of their customers were unhappy with them. That tends to coincide with my own experience. When you're as big as TD, you're going to screw up once in awhile, and you're also going to deal with a greater number of unreasonable customers who are never happy. It's a fact of retail life.

Not that I'm saying TD is better than Newegg, not by a long shot. I'm just saying they aren't the fraudsters, scammers, and unscrupulous vendor that the vocal minority like to claim. So when they occassionally have a good deal like the one here, even if it is a rebate deal, then I'll consider it and buy it. You're certainly free to do the opposite, but I just don't like people regurgitating old propaganda when the facts don't bear out the judgement being made.

On and BTW, about the OnRebate thing. I have no doubt OnRebate is a TD holding. They are a rebate clearing house, not the rebate offerers themselves. They simply middleman manufacturer rebates, as well as I'm sure some TD rebates. It only makes TD more able to offer a guarantee program, because they can see what was sent in and whether it met the standard, as opposed to being caught between a customer and and outside mfg/rebate house. So I don't follow the line of reasoning that OnRebate being affilliated with TD being a bad thing...

Btw

@ Newegg, you can get the 250 Gig version of this drive [16mb, sata-2, ncq] for $96.49 shipped, which equates to 39cents/gig.. no rebate required.

this drive comes out to 36 cents/gig [My total for this drive pre-rebate was $152.27 ups ground [newegg ships fedex], or $107.27 after rebate.

If you extended the 39 cents/gig to 300 gigs, you'd be @ $117.00

It is a bargain compared to the eggs price for this 300gb drive, however.. $107.27 vs $129.99 shipped, once rebate arrives.. $152.27 vs $129.99 no rebate..

I just checked and the Raleigh store does not have either in stock. Additionally, ordering it with a NC address adds about $10 to price.

Back