Time for a new P4

It's possible to get ur hands on a p4 3.0ghz 800mhz fsb (used) for just over a hundred bucks. get a nice 875 board for around a hundred and some quality ram (1gb) for another 150 and u'll have the basics for less than the cost of a a64 3500+ 939. I really wouldn't jump on 754 w/ all the benefits 939 has over it. It would be nice to put together a 64bit system, but like others have said, we don't need it yet.
Is their a 64bit linux release yet? I know it's getting close if not already.

And like someone else stated. Programming 32bit is bad enough. I have pity on those working on 64bit apps and operating systems.

And on a side note: this seems to be an AMD favored board.
I think too many ppl jumped on the AMD bandwagon during the XP+ lineup and when those cpus started to suck too few would admit it.
And i'm no Intel junkie, not by any means. I'm running AMD and have built several AMD systems, but mainly becuz of price to performance at the time.
On a limited budget it's hard to realize what you can live without when you're trying to build a system that you dream of owning.

<personal experience rant>

I have (had) a close friend that killed himself, and another who's Dad killed himself- you can bitch and moan all you want about how you hate eachother; and then you feel like shit for the rest of your life for saying those things once they are gone. Sucks how you recognize depression and other issues after the fact. Smart, depressed people are really good at hiding it.

It seems a little petty to be complaining about a new computer..

</personal experience rant>

I just bought a Prescott 3.2, and a Gigabyte Ultra-64 mobo; really looking forward to getting it up and running.

I'd say don't focus so much on the proc etc, and worry about the subsystems. I'm a big supporter of spending a bit extra on stuff like power supplies (PCP&C :D - ordered a custom one for this machine) and hard drives (SATA RAID10 for My Docs, U320 73GB 15.3k for C:, and U320 RAID0 18GB 15.3k's for scratch/virtual mem drive ). That's the stuff that really matters to me.

I had an Enermax PSU that would drop on the voltages, and my RAID card would be tricked into rebuilding the array. After losing a week of data a couple times (had decent backups) I traced down the problem and haven't had any touble since replacing it.

The drives really matter to me since I've been creating alot of content (1-2GB/wk), and reliability and drive performance is much more of a concern. So I'm going with server grade and SCSI stuff on this machine. Peace of mind and performance.

the guy above is an idiot for even suggesting 478.

Setting aside for a second your rudeness, you are wrong. 478 has a lot of life left in it, and the Prescotts are space heaters. P4Cs are faster at the same clock, and a lot cheaper. ASUS is even making 478 slot mobos based on the new Intel chipsets.

If you can afford a 1066 Prescott, great. But my 2.4C, which can be bought new for like $140, at 3.4 will smoke most shipping Prescotts right now.

Right now, I wouldn't even consider one of those hot-ass Prescotts or beta-testing one of their buggy boards. I'm going to upgrade to 3.2C, thanks.

I must disagree with you. This young man has a valid point. His father sold his computer without giving him a choice, then said he would get a new one but won't let this guy get what he wants, THEN he says "Never mind, we're not getting one." That gives anyone the right to be mad. Granted, there are some situations in which being mad at someone is not justified, but this is not one of them. So, please stop trashing him for being human and being mad. :)

Poor guy, i did not mean to spark madness with posting my system, i just meant it as a way for you to compare prices...

[Tripod]MajorPayne said:
I must disagree with you. This young man has a valid point. His father sold his computer without giving him a choice, then said he would get a new one but won't let this guy get what he wants, THEN he says "Never mind, we're not getting one." That gives anyone the right to be mad. Granted, there are some situations in which being mad at someone is not justified, but this is not one of them. So, please stop trashing him for being human and being mad. :)

:rolleyes: whatever, people promise shit all throughout your life, family and friends, half of it ever goes through. In those cases I don't worry about it and and buy it myself if possible.

Ever think that this kid has been bitching at his father about what computer parts to use, I can see totally how the father would be getting pissed off when his kid is being a disrespectful dink and whining about getting a specific CPU and motherboard. Fathers work damn hard for there money, and since it looks like hes plopping down nearly 2grand after tax etc.for a computer that will be used 99% of the time by his son, I think the ungreatful son can take whatever the hell is thrown at him.

But whatever, go ahead and shit all over a hard working father if you want. You will realize your actions down the road.

PS, he didn't sell his *sons computer*... thats bullshit, he is selling the family computer that he bought in which his son uses it 24/7. You are reading it but it is out of context just like the author of this thread intentionally wrote it like that.

^ a good idea ;)

Super-b said:
Is their a 64bit linux release yet? .

yup has been for a very very long time, 64bit is nothing new, just on the desktop
its was easily ported over to the new Intel extended memory and AMD64 architecture
check Suse 9.1 Pro

"SUSE LINUX 9.1 Professional offers more power for users of 64-bit CPUs. It is the first operating system to support Intel's® Extended Memory 64 Technology and AMD's Athlon(tm) 64 processors for workstations. When we say "support", we mean it: almost all of our software has been ported for the 64-bit architecture and is able to exploit the performance potential of the new chips. "

krizzle said:
If it makes you any happier, my dad just got home from work and we ordered $1400 of comp parts. here they are:

AMD Athlon64 3200+, 2.0 ghz, 1mb L2 Cache, 200 mhz fsb
Abit KV8 Pro Motherboard (VIA K8T800 Pro chipset, 1ghz HyperTransfer)
Visiontek Radeon X800 XT Platinum Edition, 256mb DDR3, 520mhz core
1024mb Corsair TwinX DDR500 PC4000 ram = 50mhz on FSB for overclock
Koolance Exos liquid cooling unit = self contained
Koolance CPU-300-H06 proc block = 100% copper w/ 24k gold contact
Koolance GPU-180-L06 vid block = 100% copper w/ 24k gold contact

That's what you should do with the money you get from it... can't go wrong.

your dad rules, is he looking to adopt? jk :D
btw, nice hardware

jen4950 said:
<personal experience rant>

I have (had) a close friend that killed himself, and another who's Dad killed himself- you can bitch and moan all you want about how you hate eachother; and then you feel like shit for the rest of your life for saying those things once they are gone. Sucks how you recognize depression and other issues after the fact. Smart, depressed people are really good at hiding it.

It seems a little petty to be complaining about a new computer..

</personal experience rant>

I just bought a Prescott 3.2, and a Gigabyte Ultra-64 mobo; really looking forward to getting it up and running.

I'd say don't focus so much on the proc etc, and worry about the subsystems. I'm a big supporter of spending a bit extra on stuff like power supplies (PCP&C :D - ordered a custom one for this machine) and hard drives (SATA RAID10 for My Docs, U320 73GB 15.3k for C:, and U320 RAID0 18GB 15.3k's for scratch/virtual mem drive ). That's the stuff that really matters to me.

I had an Enermax PSU that would drop on the voltages, and my RAID card would be tricked into rebuilding the array. After losing a week of data a couple times (had decent backups) I traced down the problem and haven't had any touble since replacing it.

The drives really matter to me since I've been creating alot of content (1-2GB/wk), and reliability and drive performance is much more of a concern. So I'm going with server grade and SCSI stuff on this machine. Peace of mind and performance.

SATA RAID10? how many HD's?
that's expensive hardware.. is that for personal use or work?

yourdeardaniel said:

minimum of 4 (2 stripe)+(2 stripe mirror)
more with the right card
but it would introduce considerable latency,
sure youd get better game load times, but unless your video editing
(and I mean high res real time) there isnt any other real benefit
and that added latency will hit you elsewhere
not to mention the 25% efficency capacity rating

yourdeardaniel said:
that's expensive hardware.. is that for personal use or work?

SATA_Drives_W.jpg

4 SATA Drives - they just came in today :D And it's for home.

I'm going for contiguous space and redundancy- this is going to be my "My Documents" drive so to speak. Performance gains are secondary with this drive array; I value my data more than latency gains or losses.

Notice the room for expansion in the bottom of the case; I'm planning on 8 more SATA drives using a 3ware SATA-RAID card for 'mass' storage - namely I'll be making images of my DVD collection so the DVD's can stay on the shelf and the movies can run over the network. I'm waiting on the 7200.8 400GB Seagate drives for that array. The thing I like about the SATA drives is the lower power consumption and heat generation compared to the SCSI drives. I can pack them together without dedicated cooling for each drive and not loose sleep over it; versus a HDD cooler or mobile rack for each 15k SCSI drive. Additionally, there are 4 fans directly in front of the drives that bring fresh air into the case.

I'll be getting all of my performance out of the 15000rpm U320 SCSI drives. I haven't cleaned up my wiring seem as though I don't have my PSU yet.

um yeah, its my computer. and i never "bitched" to my dad about not getting intel. infact, i have barely tried to push him into anything.

but yes, it is MY computer, givent to me, partly paid by me.

but yes, as i have said, i dont want to start a fight, and i dont see any validity or reason for you all to make 200 word essays for posts for no reason.

anyways, my dad has agreed to still buy me a computer but i have to limit my time on it, thanks for your suggestions, i dont have much choice, other than to go with intel, which i dont mind at all, just my preference was a64, didnt get it, big whoop.

but seriously, people that have time for such long posts over something so miniscule...you have nothing to prove.

btw ^^^^^^^^^ nice hard drives ;)

And now that i think we are ALL back on topic, all you guys have been jumping back and forth, and i cant really make up my mind.

Intel? 775 isnt that much more expensive, and im selling my 9600XT which will bring my video card spending limit to like 620 bucks. and theres a card in the FS/FT forums a x800XT-PE for 500 bucks.

but from what i heard, to many problems with 775, im afraid to get into it, but my omputer is being sold, kinda need a new computer...

Main Target said:
nvm, DDR 2, more expensive CPU's, unstable tech.... f that man. lol

Exactly. It was either go with what I went with, or wait a couple months for the new 800mHz FSB Xeons to come down in price- and I couldn't wait that long.

Main Target said:
whats specs are you running?

I'm waiting on my PCP&C PSU...

But here is the rundown:

Mobo: 8KNXP Ultra-64 - IMHO this is the best P4-478 board out there...

gigabyte_mobo_top.jpg

Big version of this pic

Proc: P4 Prescott - 3.2gHz, 1MB cache - expecting a mild OC to 3.4gHz- I prefer stability
HSF: Swiftech MCX-478V; I found a slick 92mm to 120mm converter, so I'm running a quieter but higher CFM fan than originally planned.

Memory: 3GB (3 pairs of 512MB) - Probably Geil PC4200 or PC4400 - haven't bought this or finished researching, but the 3GB number is set- I do alot of number crunching in Matlab etc.; not to mention multitasking and surfing the web :D

Vid Card: ATI AIW 9600 128MB - currently using in old machine..
Monitor 1: Sony GDM-F520R
Monitor 2: Samsung 19" 192N

Hard Drive Setup:
[C:] - Seagate 73GB 15000rpm U320 SCSI - running of on-board controller; Program Files/OS
[D:] - 2 x Seagate 18GB 15000rpm U320 SCSI in RAID0 - running off an Adaptec 3410S; Future external arrays were planned for this card; haven't decided what to do with it other than this at the moment. I have a bunch of these 18GB drives (7) so I might mess around with configurations.. This will be used for my scratch/ virtual memory.
[E:] - 4 x Seagate 7200.7 200GB SATA drives in RAID10 - 400GB - "My Documents"

And in the future (before January) an array of Seagate 400GB 7200.8's - probably 6 or 8 in RAID5 or RAID50 depending on what I figure out about the 2TB limit. I'll get a 3ware SATA RAID controller- either the 8 or 12 channel. This will be my DVD and video array.

Plextor Premium CD-RW

Waiting on the SATA Plextor DVDR; will use the 708A that I have right now in the mean time.

PSU: PC Power and Cooling 510 510 Deluxe PSU with a custom wiring harness. I've got 9 SATA connectors and differnet lengths on all of the cables. It was $50 more and I ordered exactly what I wanted.

Case: Lian-Li PC-70

I'm currently running a P4-1.7gHz Willamette on a P4T (1st generation). 1.5GB Rambus.

i have pretty much decided on a P4, 3.0C

i need a mobo, i was looking at the high end asus, and that bitch is hell expensive, not sure how my dad will take that price.

any other suggetions?

Main Target said:
i have pretty much decided on a P4, 3.0C

i need a mobo, i was looking at the high end asus, and that bitch is hell expensive, not sure how my dad will take that price.

any other suggetions?

I spent about $350 on the Ultra-64; it's not really neccessary unless you plan on running SCSI or have 64bit cards- I'm using both.

I've been pretty happy with the Asus P4T. You might look at the non Ultra-64 version of the Gigabyte 8KNXP.

http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_Intel+875P.htm

Back