Time to upgrade my 6gb Corsair Dominator GT?

EviL-aLphA

Limp Gawd
Hey guys,
Im in need of some recommendations. Im finding my system using almost all of my ram at instances and i have been considering adding more ram since it is dirt cheap these days. Fry's has a pretty good deal on a set of 12gb (3x4gb) Corsair Vengence 9-9-9-24 ram (59$ or 29 after rebate) and im really considering it.

Last year I spent about $260 on a set of Corsair Dominator GT (3x2gb) 7-7-7-20 1.65v ram when I upgraded to my x58 + I7 930 rig. Do you guys think this would be a good upgrade?
The ram i have currently is the lowest timming i have seen in a long time and i also found out that they discontinued this set a while back leaving it one of the only 7-7-7-20 Corsair triple channel sets.

To double my ram for $29 is extremely tempting but i am just concerned about performance, is the extra 6gb worth the timing difference between my current ram and this set?
Thanks

Last edited:
I don't think you'll see any difference if timing is concerned.

If you're using your RAM to its max capacity, then I guess you'll see improvements for sure.

I was recently running 4x1GB DDR2 800 @ 5-5-5-18. Needed more RAM for BF3 but the only RAM available was a 2GB stick running at 6-6-6-18. Removed one 1GB stick (forfeiting the dual channel), and retarded all timings to 6-6-6-18 to make the new stick fit. Noticed no slowdown at all, and the extra RAM made load times so much faster.

HTH

Back