Tips for replacing wireless card in Samsung Series 5

MrGlobe

Gawd
I'm just looking for any tips you all may have regarding replacing the wireless card in a Samsung Series 5 Laptop. I'm replacing an Intel 6235 with a Killer-N 1202.

I haven't worked inside this specific laptop, but I'm guessing there's one of two people here who have had to replace this terrible wifi card in the past.

TIA

got to be more specific than a "series 5"

What does the backplate look like? if it's a standard style laptop it may be just a matter of taking a door off and popping out the mini-pcie card. (they're screwed down usually but yeah)

A lot of times a laptop's BIOS is coded to only work with a select, few wifi cards, dictated by the manufacturer. I learned that the hard way a couple of months ago. I installed a new Intel dual band card, put everything back together, and it refused to boot past a BIOS hardware error screen until the new wifi card was removed.

I know it's not an apples to apples comparison, but I will say that the Samsung NC10 I had 6 years ago or so did not have a whitelist like HP and Lenovo does.

I'm surprised you are having issues with an Intel card.

Thanks for the input guys, let me add some info

got to be more specific than a "series 5"

My bad, model number is GCRF-NP520U4C-A01UB

A lot of times a laptop's BIOS is coded to only work with a select, few wifi cards, dictated by the manufacturer

I wasn't aware that was a common practice, I really hope that's not the case for this situation

I'm surprised you are having issues with an Intel card.

Yeah, I've had mixed experiences will Intel cards. Either no issues what-so-ever, or its a nightmare from the start.

I was hoping there would be easy access to the wireless card through a door on the back, but you can only access the HDD and RAM that way. I'm trying to find a schematic online that shows the location of the wireless card but so far no luck. I am just hoping it isn't under the keyboard like a few laptops I've worked on.

Back