Tired of wires. Thinking about KLEER.

PCMusicGuy

[H]ard|Gawd
So around the office lately I've been listening to music while I work (large library via computer or pandora via computer/iPhone 3GS). I want to get a set of wireless earbuds that are light and comfortable. I have looked into the bluetooth options and am not really impressed with any of them as they have some issues with lag. Furthermore, they seem to be rather large on average for the good stuff. The Motorola S9 is nice but I would prefer something more discrete around the office.

So now I'm looking at KLEER devices. I've liked the Sennheiser MX W1s since they were first released but since I mostly listen to mp3 quality music at work it seems a bit overkill. They are also a little large and I don't know if they would fit my ears very well.

I am now trying to decide between Sleek Audio SA1/SA6 with the wireless setup or DigiFi Opera S2. I like the Sleek Audio units because of the different ear pieces (remind me of earplugs which I use on location for my job) and they even have a method to tune the earbuds. I may not end up using these but it is good to know as I keep a decent FLAC collection at home where it might make a difference to me.

The SA1 w/wireless would cost around $300 (USD) while the SA6 setup would probably run $500+. Naturally, I would lean to the SA1.

The only other alternative is the DigiFi Opera SA2 and while they are very attractively priced (<$100), I have concerns about their fit. I've read a few reviews (even some in Korean) and there are complaints about the receiver that sits on the back of your neck and the wires connecting to the earbuds being too short. Also, from pictures, it doesn't look as though they would fit in the ear as well as the SA1/SA6. But at the price point, it might just be worth it to find out.

What would you do? Take a chance on the DigiFi and sell them if I don't like them? I'm also open to any other suggestions out there. Sorry for the long winded post.

well, I'd either just settle with BT for audio, or accept that it isn't cheap to get solid wireless monitoring

also, do they have to be earbuds, or would you be ok with actual headphones? (you can get better quality wireless gear in headphones for cheaper, I'm guessing mostly because they can ship with bigger xmit/receivers and batteries)

also, not to be obnoxious, but are speakers an option?

as far as what I'd get for wireless in-ears, personally I'd go with Shure based on solid experiences in the past with their wireless/wired products, granted thats a prograde setup that costs quite a bit, but it'll work more or less flawlessly

as far as the fit thing, I'm not sure on the Senns (they seem somewhat...unique) but most IEM/ECH sets can be fitted with after-market tips (such as those from Comply), so I wouldn't worry overly much about that

I actually use headphones right now (Sennheiser HD201 and HD280 Pro) and they serve my purposes just fine when I'm sitting at my desk. Every time I need to get up or use the whiteboard or find a product catalog however . . . let's just say I'm tired of the tether, lol.

Speakers are not a good option since I'd primarily be using these at work or when I travel.

The only wireless headphones I've sampled in the past were the RS130 from Sennheiser. While they were good, they were heavier than I liked and they had a bit of hiss to them depending on how strong the signal was.

I've accepted that it isn't cheap for good wireless audio which is exactly why I've been looking into KLEER. I don't mind paying $500 for something good but I want it to be comfortable and light. I have my doubts on this for some of the devices and it's not like I can try these out in any store. I haven't found a single place in Houston that even carries the MX W1 set (or any other KLEER earbuds/headsets) in store.

I have checked out Shure, Etymotic, and Ultimate Ears and the only one of them that even have a wireless setup is Etymotic and it looks way too bulky to be sitting on the side of my head. Thank you for the recommendation though.

Why don't you just buy a tiny mp3 player like this one (or get a Nano if you're attached to the Itunes system), and put your entire library on it? The audio quality is excellent, it's expandable to 24GB with a $40 microSDHC card (and 40GB once they release the 32GB microSDHC cards), it plays anything you can throw at it (except AAC), and it has a clip to let you attach it anywhere.

Then you've cut the cord to the library, and you can use whatever you want to connect directly to the player. When you have to get up, there's no break in the music.

I just think your quest for non-bulky wireless is a difficult request because anything wireless with a good battery life is going to need a large battery, which gives you bulk. And since you don't want Bluetooth, anything you buy will be non-standard, and thus expensive.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I have checked out Shure, Etymotic, and Ultimate Ears and the only one of them that even have a wireless setup is Etymotic and it looks way too bulky to be sitting on the side of my head. Thank you for the recommendation though.

I know for a fact this is wrong
Shure has many wireless setups (I've worked with them, touched them, bought them, etc)
haven't seen the Etymotic setup, but the Shure system uses a bodypack, I would guess UE has a comparable solution (Given that they make some of the better available in-ear monitors)

as far as wireless headphones, theres options from Audio-Technica, Pioneer, Sony, and Sennheiser, the RS130's are probably the absolute bottom shelf product in this regard

defaultuser is right:
if you're gonna avoid BT, you're dealing with proprietary -> money

really sounds like you should read more thoroughly in your research

Why don't you just buy a tiny mp3 player like this one (or get a Nano if you're attached to the Itunes system), and put your entire library on it? The audio quality is excellent, it's expandable to 24GB with a $40 microSDHC card (and 40GB once they release the 32GB microSDHC cards), it plays anything you can throw at it (except AAC), and it has a clip to let you attach it anywhere.

Then you've cut the cord to the library, and you can use whatever you want to connect directly to the player. When you have to get up, there's no break in the music.

I just think your quest for non-bulky wireless is a difficult request because anything wireless with a good battery life is going to need a large battery, which gives you bulk. And since you don't want Bluetooth, anything you buy will be non-standard, and thus expensive.

I was mainly looking for feedback but it doesn't seem like there is much experience here in the wireless audio spectrum. I am not asking for cheap; I know it will be pricey but comfort wearing the unit is my highest concern. I don't like snaking wires in my clothing. I have to put on and take off my jacket too many times a day.

While I understand your line of thinking, it also defeats the flexibility I am trying to achieve. I don't want to be tied to one source. I want the freedom to use my laptop and my phone with streaming music (pandora or last.fm) and my personal library. To be honest, I've been listening to more streaming these days than my library.

I want something I can keep on me at all times while I'm at the office and not have to carry yet another device around. I figure my iPhone is always in my pocket so I should be able to use it. But thank you for the feedback.

I know for a fact this is wrong
Shure has many wireless setups (I've worked with them, touched them, bought them, etc)
haven't seen the Etymotic setup, but the Shure system uses a bodypack, I would guess UE has a comparable solution (Given that they make some of the better available in-ear monitors)

as far as wireless headphones, theres options from Audio-Technica, Pioneer, Sony, and Sennheiser, the RS130's are probably the absolute bottom shelf product in this regard

defaultuser is right:
if you're gonna avoid BT, you're dealing with proprietary -> money

really sounds like you should read more thoroughly in your research

Sorry if I was not clear as I have indeed done my research. Shure (among the others) do have wireless but it is not exactly what I would consider consumer level stuff. I know there are a plethora of wireless headphones out there and some of the latest sound really good I'm told. They are just all too heavy or bulky to wear all day long.

Anyway, none of that matters anymore since I've already made my decision earlier today and ordered the Sleek Audio SA6 Wireless bundle. I will post a review of them early next year I would imagine. :) They are light, seem to offer a good degree of comfort, and are supposed to sound great whether using the wireless adapter or not.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back