Titanfall - Respawn Entertainment's first game

I wasn't saying that the source engine has anything to do with this game. I was only comparing the visual quality of this game to games that came out around or shortly after HL2. This game does not use the Source engine.

I just find it surprising that the developer's PR screenshots don't look any better. I'd bet that the finished product a month from now will not look much different, if at all. In the age of broadband, keeping filesize down for a beta seems like a lame excuse.

First, Titanfall uses a modified Source engine.

Second, I'm not sure what your goal is here. The devs said it directly via twitter. There's nothing more to discuss until the game ships.

Two problems with this.

They could have made a pilot and infantry class.

6 pilots and 6 marines per round.

When it's time to switch sides, the pilots go to marines, the marines go to pilots. Or something along those lines. Or how about doing without them all together?

They also could have made the maps larger to support more REAL players.

Why the hell would I want to run around as a normal soldier when I can play as a Pilot? You're missing the point of this game. I also doubt the 6v6 has anything to do with the map size. you could easy put more players on the maps that we've been playing. But that's not what they wanted to do.

i dont get the bitching i havent had this much fun in a mp FPS since tribes and shogo

this game is soo winning me on the nostalgia from Shogo with squishy mod
it looks great
runs great
every thing feels right
controls are tight if there is any mouse issues i have not noticed them

Two problems with this.

They could have made a pilot and infantry class.

6 pilots and 6 marines per round.

When it's time to switch sides, the pilots go to marines, the marines go to pilots. Or something along those lines. Or how about doing without them all together?

They also could have made the maps larger to support more REAL players.

Why the hell would I want to run around as a normal soldier when I can play as a Pilot? You're missing the point of this game. I also doubt the 6v6 has anything to do with the map size. you could easy put more players on the maps that we've been playing. But that's not what they wanted to do.
Obviously anyone would rather be the pilot class. Larger maps and more players would be the ideal solution but not the only solution. The narrow depth of the game shows that.

Respawn knows that their maps are limited for large engagements. 12v12 titans would be an absolute cluster fuck. There needs to be the possibility of isolation at times, not a solid horde of titans funneled down the corridors. 12v12 or MORE would be excessive for the scale of the map, there would be no room to breath.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/titanfall-player-count-is-6v6-respawn-confirms/1100-6416998/

The AI is easy frags for n00bs.

The publishers entire objective is to appeal to as large of a player base as possible. To narrow their focus in any one direction would alienate a large population of the player base. Casual gaming that appeals to the mass is ALWAYS the ticket.

A lot of the criticism from this game comes from people who consider themselves a step up from casual. Players who seek a challenge. This is a group not too susceptible to free handouts and easy frags.

Titanfall isn't anything revolutionary and there isn't any technology block preventing them from making the matches any more epic. Just their lack of imagination and balls.

The sheep will flock towards Titanfall.

Just learned you can stick your knife in the wall by pressing mouse 2 while wall running. >< why didn't they put that in the tutorial.

the wall hanging move is really silly because you need to use the 'Aim' key to stick to the wall...so you can't aim while hanging there which makes it only really feasible when you're in a small room and then it doesn't really make sense because the enemy will easily spot you...unless I'm missing something it's a feature they added to look cool with no practical purpose

you could hang from a wall and look like spider man, does it need to have any better reason than that?

I'm not sure that they will...

As I said before other than "ZOMG! Mechs!" (which I just view as a player skin) what does this game actually bring to the table?

Not exactly sure since I haven't tried the demo but what I've seen from all the reviews and LP's on you-tube is that it is really easy to get into and a lot of people thought it was surprisingly good/fun to play. Apparently the netcode isn't a trainwreck like BF4 either. I thought the textures on the map looked horrible and I wouldn't pay $60 for it.

Kinda funny how it uses the source engine and then ended up not even being published on Steam but on Origin.

Having spent a little time on the both version. I've slowly have gotten away from fast paced FPS over the years. For me its just not as enjoyable anymore, part of it is old age and I'm less competitive then I used to be. But I'm enjoying Titanfall, alot more then I expected.

I've played a few matches of attrition, after 2 or 3 matches I was having fun. I haven't had this much fun in the FPS since Quake III and Unreal Tournament.

I'm still up in the air if I'm going to buy it day one. I'm still kinda old school to the point where I like single player games. If there is story or narrative that is done well through multiplayer then that could persuade me to buy the game.

Last edited:
Those of you in search of the perfect game can keep waiting (it's never going to happen) while others can buy some games and have fun. If BF4, Arma III, and TItanfall existed 10 years ago those of you who complain about one or all 3 of those different types of shooters would be in heaven and saying they were the best games ever.

Obviously anyone would rather be the pilot class. Larger maps and more players would be the ideal solution but not the only solution. The narrow depth of the game shows that.

Respawn knows that their maps are limited for large engagements. 12v12 titans would be an absolute cluster fuck. There needs to be the possibility of isolation at times, not a solid horde of titans funneled down the corridors. 12v12 or MORE would be excessive for the scale of the map, there would be no room to breath.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/titanfall-player-count-is-6v6-respawn-confirms/1100-6416998/

The AI is easy frags for n00bs.

The publishers entire objective is to appeal to as large of a player base as possible. To narrow their focus in any one direction would alienate a large population of the player base. Casual gaming that appeals to the mass is ALWAYS the ticket.

A lot of the criticism from this game comes from people who consider themselves a step up from casual. Players who seek a challenge. This is a group not too susceptible to free handouts and easy frags.

Titanfall isn't anything revolutionary and there isn't any technology block preventing them from making the matches any more epic. Just their lack of imagination and balls.

The sheep will flock towards Titanfall.

Whatever you say.

Played the beta over the weekend a bit. I've been stupid excited about this game since the middle of last year, and it's pretty much everything I was expecting. That said, I'm probably not going to be pre-ordering or buying day 1. It's not that I don't love the gameplay, I just don't feel compelled to see all of the additional stuff they're adding with the production release right off the bat. Besides, if I get this game day 1 I'll probably get bored with it pretty quick. Oddly enough, that probably wouldn't be the case if there were a real solo campaign. I usually pre-order stuff like this because of the story line, not the MP.

I didn't read through the entire thread, but I'll just leave this here. There is A LOT more content coming in the release which will change the gameplay significantly from the current BETA. Including, plasma/arc guns, rail guns, turrets, mines, etc. Multiplayer campaign mode for all you 'story mode' guys.

How have you added a sense of story-led progression? Will multiplayer progression &#8211; in terms of levels/XP &#8211; be tied to narrative advancement?

So we&#8217;ve only really spoken about one way to play Titanfall. That&#8217;s Campaign Multiplayer. You can join a lobby by yourself or with a party, but here&#8217;s where it gets different. You and your party or enlisted into a faction, either IMC or Militia. You&#8217;ll play the campaign and progress through the narrative hitting the missions in order until you&#8217;ve beaten the game on that faction. You&#8217;ll then have the option to play through again from the beginning on the other faction. Once you&#8217;ve beaten the game from both sides, you&#8217;ll be able to play any mission on either faction you like. There are traditional modes as well that you&#8217;d expect from a multiplayer FPS game and you can start playing those from the first time you run the game. No matter what you play, you earn XP and progress.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=769961

15 maps
10 titan weapons & ordinances
21 pilot weapons & ordinances
10 game modes
21 perks

People need to remember, although these guys have a lot of experience they are a new studio with less than 75 employees. I find the game fun and refreshingly different from the same-old CoD/Battlefield cycle. I'm confident this IP will be around for a long time and I'm sure it will improve over time.

The amount of pessimism on this forum and in the larger gaming community is surreal. If it's not your cup of tea, fine, but playing a BETA for a couple hours doesn't seem like giving the game a fair shake. I'd say wait until the final game ships and friends/reviewers have some time with it before passing final determination. Hell, EA will probably put it on sale for $40 within 6 months or so - they are much mroe willing to drop the price on newer titles to increase sales, unlike Activision.

The only thing that concerns me right now are the Burn Cards. I can see this turning into a card market for microtransactions, but I really hope not.

People need to remember, although these guys have a lot of experience they are a new studio with less than 75 employees. I find the game fun and refreshingly different from the same-old CoD/Battlefield cycle. I'm confident this IP will be around for a long time and I'm sure it will improve over time.

A 75 person company with experienced devs, using an extremely easy engine should be given absolutely zero slack.

I didn't read through the entire thread, but I'll just leave this here. There is A LOT more content coming in the release which will change the gameplay significantly from the current BETA. Including, plasma/arc guns, rail guns, turrets, mines, etc. Multiplayer campaign mode for all you 'story mode' guys.

15 maps
10 game modes
21 perks

The amount of pessimism on this forum and in the larger gaming community is surreal. If it's not your cup of tea, fine, but playing a BETA for a couple hours doesn't seem like giving the game a fair shake. I'd say wait until the final game ships and friends/reviewers have some time with it before passing final determination. Hell, EA will probably put it on sale for $40 within 6 months or so - they are much mroe willing to drop the price on newer titles to increase sales, unlike Activision.

The only thing that concerns me right now are the Burn Cards. I can see this turning into a card market for microtransactions, but I really hope not.

All I can say is that I am VERY disappointed in the ping I have been getting on the Xbox One. The ping on the PC servers seem to be a lot better (50ms) I don't get it? I get 3 bar ping compared to everybody else who gets 5 bar on the Xbox One.

Also, the game is easy mode for casuals. Anybody can get kills in this game.. you don't even need to try.

I own killzone on ps4 not impressed. Ryse not impressed.

http://www.konami.jp/mgs5/gz/en/products/compare.html

Cyrsis 3 pc looks better than both those

Crysis 3 on the PC arguably looks better than anything else out there...at least with the details at medium or better.
I've been playing through it again and it's night and day better than just about anything short of BF4 and it's much smoother than that game.

15 maps
10 game modes
21 perks

Thanks for the info. Looks like some cool weapons, though no mention of how many Titan chassis there will be.

Thanks for the info. Looks like some cool weapons, though no mention of how many Titan chassis there will be.

I think that was previously confirmed. There are 3:

Stryder - Lightweight, fast, less armor
Atlas - Mixture of speed and armor
Ogre - Heavy, slow, more armor

I think that was previously confirmed. There are 3:

Stryder - Lightweight, fast, less armor
Atlas - Mixture of speed and armor
Ogre - Heavy, slow, more armor

Oh, must have missed that...thanks.

So no huge uniqueness to those, I guess...just Light/Medium/Heavy.

15 maps
10 game modes
21 perks

And now I am even more excited. This game is going to be epic. I am level 14, almost all unlocks completed, and I am still loving this game despite having nothing else to do! I am currently mastering my troll skills with the auto-pistol.

It is freaking fun.

It is most definitely not an overpowered weapon. Any time I hear the noise it makes I turn around and murder someone...and I am definitely better with the carbine...but there is something that is just so funny about sneaking up behind someone, locking on, and finishing them off. Gotta keep moving noobs!

It is most definitely not an overpowered weapon. Any time I hear the noise it makes I turn around and murder someone...and I am definitely better with the carbine...but there is something that is just so funny about sneaking up behind someone, locking on, and finishing them off. Gotta keep moving noobs!

I dunno. In my experience, it is certainly one of, if not the most powerful weapon in the game, for the following reasons:

-It does more damage than both the Carbine and the SMG
-Movement/jumping does not break lock, only breaking line-of-sight, and even then I have noticed that if you move back into line-of-sight fairly quickly, the lock resumes where it left off, not starts over completely.
-Full Pilot lock can happen in less than 2 seconds with the Targeting perk.
-You have no way of knowing if you are being locked onto (which is realistic, but still, balance-wise it is silly)
-It claims to have much lower accuracy than the Carbine but I have seen some kill cams that highly bring that into question. If you aim down sights it is really no less accurate than any other weapon in the game, even at long range.

From what I have seen so far, most people that use the auto-pistol either cloak and then run up behind people (but at that point you might as well kick them, since that is an insta-kill as well) or camp on rooftops and "snipe" people with it.

I dunno. In my experience, it is certainly one of, if not the most powerful weapon in the game, for the following reasons:

-It does more damage than both the Carbine and the SMG
-Movement/jumping does not break lock, only breaking line-of-sight, and even then I have noticed that if you move back into line-of-sight fairly quickly, the lock resumes where it left off, not starts over completely.
-Full Pilot lock can happen in less than 2 seconds with the Targeting perk.
-You have no way of knowing if you are being locked onto (which is realistic, but still, balance-wise it is silly)
-It claims to have much lower accuracy than the Carbine but I have seen some kill cams that highly bring that into question. If you aim down sights it is really no less accurate than any other weapon in the game, even at long range.

From what I have seen so far, most people that use the auto-pistol either cloak and then run up behind people (but at that point you might as well kick them, since that is an insta-kill as well) or camp on rooftops and "snipe" people with it.

I also have suspicions that there will be "counter" smart pistol perks in the full game that will make it frustrating to use at times. So a few of those points may become moot.

Also, the "Sniping" doesn't work so hot due to limited range. There are many times when I have an easy shot on someone but it won't lock on, I go on a sprinting expedition...forget I am in the wide open, and die.

Like I said, I still do better with the carbine point wise on average than with the smart pistol, but it is a bit of fun to dink around with and cause trouble.

Been playing this for the past 2 days on pc and its pretty fun. I thought the 6v6 would ruin the game but with the AI mixed in it could care less. The fast paced gameplay is a nice refresher to what games used to be about. I am glad they didnt make the titans OP,if they did then everyone would try to get in one and hide the rest of the time on foot. The titans are there just to help out for a bit,they are meant to die which is why you kill more people to lower its respawn time. The auto pistol needs to go though,what a stupid gun. Someone locked on to me and still killed me while i was running through a building. The graphics are ok,nothing amazing but decent enough to where i dont notice it,and the game moves so fast that i dont have time to look. Hopefully they get better in the full game though. I probably will buy this game but i will wait a week or two so i dont get screwed again by EA like i did with Sim City.

Also, the "Sniping" doesn't work so hot due to limited range. There are many times when I have an easy shot on someone but it won't lock on, I go on a sprinting expedition...forget I am in the wide open, and die.

No, I am talking about just aiming down the sights and shooting (you can do that...it doesn't require locking on). It seems to basically have infinite range like all of the other weapons, because there is no such thing as bullet trajectory in this game. And the "accuracy" statistic seems totally made-up because all weapons seem to be dead accurate pretty much regardless of range right now.

Maybe they will fix/balance some of this stuff in the final version but for right now, this is what I'm witnessing.

Oh really? When's your game due to be released?

Oh boy, this "argument" again...

Short of him posting his experience with the engine and the modifications to the engine, if any, I don't see how he can say they should get "zero slack". People THAT pessimistic should just quit playing video games altogether because they're never going to be happy.

No, I am talking about just aiming down the sights and shooting (you can do that...it doesn't require locking on). It seems to basically have infinite range like all of the other weapons, because there is no such thing as bullet trajectory in this game. And the "accuracy" statistic seems totally made-up because all weapons seem to be dead accurate pretty much regardless of range right now.

Maybe they will fix/balance some of this stuff in the final version but for right now, this is what I'm witnessing.

Trust me...the SMG and LMG are insanely inaccurate.

I&#8217;ve been going back and forth a little on this game.
At first I thought it was pretty cool and fun enough. Then I started to see some of the limitations of the game and how it might not hold my attention for more than 2 weeks after release.

Then I kept on playing and started to &#8220;explore&#8221; the game more, trying different things, doing some silly things just to see how it would work out.

The game is very noob friendly, which isn&#8217;t necessarily a bad thing. This also means that you will usually get that one guy on the opposing team who knows how to play these types of games, and then I enter some kinda cat and mouse game with him and it makes it fun.

The bots can be an annoyance, but they don&#8217;t bother me too much anymore. I just kinda ignore them, and just kill them when I want my titan to drop sooner.

The auto pistol doesn&#8217;t bother me too much. Sure I have been killed by it a few times, but I&#8217;m not too worried about it at this point.

The 1 hit melee kill doesn&#8217;t bother me either. Just like in COD with the knife, I learned to live with it and use it myself often enough.

The TITAN experience is fun at first, then becomes pointless when looking at maximizing points. But then, when looking at having fun, I started using the TITAN again (as opposed to have it on follow). It&#8217;s fun to try and survive as long as possible in a TITAN, while racking as many pilot kills as possible (I try not to do TITAN vs TITAN too much anymore, unless I need to stall/protect my team or something like that).

I thought the infantry gun play was a bit sub-par, especially when compared to COD/BF (regarding &#8220;real&#8221; weapons) or when compared to Quake/UT (regarding &#8220;futuristic&#8221; weapons). But there also, I started to just get used to it and am now having fun.

The graphics are only ok, but I suspect this game will run very smoothly on a wide variety of machines, which is the point I think for a MP game.

The fact that it is MP only makes the $60 price tag hard to swallow, but for $30-40, I think I will bite.

All in all, although the game is not revolutionary or perfect, it is still a decent amount of fun. The quick movement is fun and refreshing, the mechs add a bit of variety to the genre, and the &#8220;campaign&#8221; multiplayer has me curious.

I believe this is what COD needed when MW2 came out. People wouldn&#8217;t be complaining at how COD has become boring and is the same thing every year. This would have revitalized the franchise and the genre altogether.

Instead, we get TITANFALL, 3 years later, and although not the home run it could have been a few years ago, still commends some praise.

IMHO of course&#8230;

Short of him posting his experience with the engine and the modifications to the engine, if any, I don't see how he can say they should get "zero slack". People THAT pessimistic should just quit playing video games altogether because they're never going to be happy.

haters-gonna-hate-comb.gif

There is A LOT more content coming in the release which will change the gameplay significantly from the current BETA. Including, plasma/arc guns, rail guns, turrets, mines, etc. Multiplayer campaign mode for all you 'story mode' guys

you mean they're going to make the Titans even less of a threat?...by adding mines, turrets etc it seems like they want you to die piloting a titan even faster...isn't the main appeal of this game the mechs?...why do they want to nerf that aspect so much for?

you mean they're going to make the Titans even less of a threat?...by adding mines, turrets etc it seems like they want you to die piloting a titan even faster...isn't the main appeal of this game the mechs?...why do they want to nerf that aspect so much for?

Can we compare this to vehicles in BF4? There are way too many countermeasures and vehicles are like paper. What do you say to that?

Can we compare this to vehicles in BF4? There are way too many countermeasures and vehicles are like paper. What do you say to that?

the difference is that Titanfall is built solely around the mechs while BF is not built around the vehicles

Back