TN or IPS for gaming/movies

DemonDiablo

[H]ard|Gawd
Sorry in advance but for some reason the [H] is semi-blocked at my office so I wont be able to respond to helpful responses/questions in a timely manner.

So I've been looking up on a lot of good threads here in the display forum the past 2 months in trying to figure out whats best for my needs. Just as I think I found my answer along comes a new thread or old archived thread that takes everything I've read and turns it upside down.

From what I got, from all that I've read (dont think I'm asking this question without doing my own research please!), IPS monitors are far far superior to TN panels. But at the same time it seems to be a lot of hype and only superior if you're doing photo stuff like photoshop. I plan on gaming, console and pc, along with watching movies and tv shows primarily.

Now everything that I've read points to TN is the way to go but every once in awhile some guy decides to pop in and says, "lawl IPS is still far far better even in the domain that TN is supposed to be best at".

So my question is which is it? Money's not a problem or of much of a concern. I just want to make sure that if I spend 400 bucks that its 400 bucks well spent in the right place.

Also I've never used a ips monitor, I have 2 asus 24 incers that I use in my office and a LG 24inch montior I use at home. All of which are TN. And this isnt like a, "I'm going to go out and buy this within the week" type purchase. Wont be buying until I'm back stateside in november, so if theres anything good on the horizon by all means let me know.

And preferrably in the 24inch variety as it'll probably be paired up with the LG monitor and I'll be buying 2 of em and my desk can only fit 3 24inchers.

Thanks in advance, I think I just about covered all my bases.

Also I've never used a ips monitor, I have 2 asus 24 incers that I use in my office and a LG 24inch montior I use at home. All of which are TN.

If you are happy with your current TN screens get another TN screen. Having different types of screen, with different behavior is only likely to lead you to spot differences in each of them.

Constant comparison leads to unhappiness. ;)

There's always decent things just over the horizon, one that i can think of are TN panels that behave like IPS panels with wide viewing angles.

Check out this discussion + example pics of the ASUS VE276Q 27": http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1533341

It looks like TN panels have finally seen a dramatic improvement, hopefully more monitor makers use this panel in the near future.

If you are happy with your current TN screens get another TN screen. Having different types of screen, with different behavior is only likely to lead you to spot differences in each of them.

Constant comparison leads to unhappiness. ;)

LOL I am shocked to see someone with a 2490wuxi (one of the best IPS screens ever) recommending a TN screen :). Seriously though IPS is where it's at right now. There's a reason they cost as much as they do. Colors are better, viewing angles are better, and response times are not quite as good but close enough for most people. Black levels and contrast have also improved to a point where they are comparable to some PVA screens. $400 is enough to get a U2311H or a ZR24W both of which are good budget IPS choices. It's also enough to get an IPS TV in the 32"-37" range which might be a better move since it seems the primary use is for gaming and movies. I love both my ZR24W and my L37S1 (both IPS). The U2311H I used to own was also very nice and maybe the right monitor for you. If you can extend your budget you could probably snag two of them and replace one of your TNs :)

There's always decent things just over the horizon, one that i can think of are TN panels that behave like IPS panels with wide viewing angles.

Check out this discussion + example pics of the ASUS VE276Q 27": http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1533341

It looks like TN panels have finally seen a dramatic improvement, hopefully more monitor makers use this panel in the near future.

That screen does look pretty nice for a TN but 1920x1080 doesn't seem like it would be enough for a 27" desktop display. That said it's 27" for $360 which is only $10 more than the ZR24W. THAT being said I only paid $470 for my IPS TV which is 37" 1080p so I dunno.

Last edited:
Money's not a problem or of much of a concern. I just want to make sure that if I spend 400 bucks that its 400 bucks well spent in the right place.
If money is of little concern, then I see no reason to skimp on the display. There are a number of fantastic 24" IPS displays out there, so you won't have much difficulty finding the right one to suit your budget.

That screen does look pretty nice for a TN but 1920x1080 doesn't seem like it would be enough for a 27" desktop display.
Agreed. Pixel density is pretty important for gaming if you ask me, though arguably less important for movies.

That screen does look pretty nice for a TN but 1920x1080 doesn't seem like it would be enough for a 27" desktop display.

My housemate just got a new LG TN 26" display with 1280x1200 resolution, and I can see the pixels really well in a lot of situations, especially games. It's quite disconcerting. Beyond 20" I can't see myself using anything like that resolution or less.

The issue of course is that of display manufacturers making primarily TV panels, which do double duty as computer displays, leading to the unfortunate limitation of 1920x1080 on them.

Haven't seen one in person but that looks far from IPS viewing angles to me. It's easy to see the bottom is brighter than the top which means there is still a lot of color shift, at least vertically.

The way I see it, if you are perfectly happy with a TN, I see no reason not to get another TN. If you've ever been annoyed by TN drawbacks and money is really not a problem, IPS is the way to go.

LOL I am shocked to see someone with a 2490wuxi (one of the best IPS screens ever) recommending a TN screen :). Seriously though IPS is where it's at right now.

It all depends. I was not happy with TN or VA screens and even a 30" IPS screen, so I ended up with the NEC 2490 to make ME happy. I certaily prefer IPS screens.

But if the OP is happy with his TN screens it might be a better idea to get another TN.

I had a TN screen when I got my 2490, before the 2490 I rate it about 6 out of 10. A month of using the 2490 and I rate my TN screen about 3 out of 10, I just didn't want to look at it anymore and I gave it away.

Unless you are unhappy with what you have, why rock the boat?

That screen does look pretty nice for a TN but 1920x1080 doesn't seem like it would be enough for a 27" desktop display. That said it's 27" for $360 which is only $10 more than the ZR24W. THAT being said I only paid $370 for my IPS TV which is 37" 1080p so I dunno.
Hey Fenix i remember when you bought that nice Panasonic S1, your post partially inspired my purchase i think :)

The best deal on the 32" Panny S1 was $380, are you sure you paid only $370 on the bigger 37" size ? Used perhaps?

But as for that Asus i linked, the 27" size may be a bit large for that resolution but if that same panel maker were to produce an inexpensive 24" flavor then they may have another winner.

Haven't seen one in person but that looks far from IPS viewing angles to me. It's easy to see the bottom is brighter than the top which means there is still a lot of color shift, at least vertically.
Maybe so, but i'd also say it's a visually noticeable improvement over other TN panels, a larger sweetspot for those who will be using it as a monitor. But the price must be competitive if it is to compete with this newer crop of IPS monitors.

Sorry in advance but for some reason the [H] is semi-blocked at my office so I wont be able to respond to helpful responses/questions in a timely manner.

So I've been looking up on a lot of good threads here in the display forum the past 2 months in trying to figure out whats best for my needs. Just as I think I found my answer along comes a new thread or old archived thread that takes everything I've read and turns it upside down.

From what I got, from all that I've read (dont think I'm asking this question without doing my own research please!), IPS monitors are far far superior to TN panels. But at the same time it seems to be a lot of hype and only superior if you're doing photo stuff like photoshop. I plan on gaming, console and pc, along with watching movies and tv shows primarily.

Now everything that I've read points to TN is the way to go but every once in awhile some guy decides to pop in and says, "lawl IPS is still far far better even in the domain that TN is supposed to be best at".

So my question is which is it? Money's not a problem or of much of a concern. I just want to make sure that if I spend 400 bucks that its 400 bucks well spent in the right place.

Also I've never used a ips monitor, I have 2 asus 24 incers that I use in my office and a LG 24inch montior I use at home. All of which are TN. And this isnt like a, "I'm going to go out and buy this within the week" type purchase. Wont be buying until I'm back stateside in november, so if theres anything good on the horizon by all means let me know.

And preferrably in the 24inch variety as it'll probably be paired up with the LG monitor and I'll be buying 2 of em and my desk can only fit 3 24inchers.

Thanks in advance, I think I just about covered all my bases.

If a wide and accurate color gamut and viewing angles are most important to you get an IPS monitor.

If you want raw performance which leads to more current snapshot of what's being rendered and offers fluidity.Get a 120hz LCD which is currently only available in the TN variety.

If you want surround/eyefinity you can go with either choice or skimp on both and get some decent XX panels.

Personally, I went with the 120hz lcd(I have both the 2233rz and vx2268wm) with plans to pick up a ips to replace one of them.

Last edited:
Hey Fenix i remember when you bought that nice Panasonic S1, your post partially inspired my purchase i think :)

The best deal on the 32" Panny S1 was $380, are you sure you paid only $370 on the bigger 37" size ? Used perhaps?

LOL you're right I just went back and checked. I had paid $550 - $82.50 BCB for a total of $467.49 shipped. So yea I was off by $100 there :). I had also picked up an LG 32LH30 that weekend (Black Friday) for $467.49 after tax at BB. Was hoping for an IPS panel but got one of the VA ones so I was pretty psyched when the Panny deal landed on Cyber Monday :)

Doesn't really change my thoughts though since its $470 for a 37" IPS and that was last November...

Unless you are unhappy with what you have, why rock the boat?

Not rocking the boat, trying to jump boat. But I dont want to jump to a different boat if its just going to be meh.

With the viewing angles I can tell a clear and definite difference between the 2 asus monitors and the LG. Most of the thoughts and opinions posted so far seem to lean toward what you're saying though, which makes sense. I guess I just wish I could 'demo' an ips monitor to help with the decision.

For the record the 2 asus monitors I have here in the stan I wont be keeping. I'll be selling/getting rid of them either here or when I get back to the states.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'm going to stick to the TN's and just research on that to find some solid TN panels. Still not sure if I'm buying into the 120hz hype either though.

Why would you want to buy a TN if you're not really into 120Hz and have more than a miniscule budget?

Why would you want to buy a TN if you're not really into 120Hz and have more than a miniscule budget?

Not the OP, but like the OP I'm on the fence. I'm leary of IPS over ghosting/blur concerns and at least with the low-end affordable IPS panels like in the ZR24w I have some quality control concerns.

I may wind up going IPS, but it'll be more due to the fact that all the TN panels have shifted to 16:9 than because I think IPS will work better for me.

Not the OP, but like the OP I'm on the fence. I'm leary of IPS over ghosting/blur concerns and at least with the low-end affordable IPS panels like in the ZR24w I have some quality control concerns.

I may wind up going IPS, but it'll be more due to the fact that all the TN panels have shifted to 16:9 than because I think IPS will work better for me.

From my experience if you're not referring to 120hz TNs (no experience with them) the actual response issue in 2ms/5ms TNs and 8ms IPS screens is essentially a wash. The 2ms TN is not going to be significantly better that you will go "WOW," it still blurs very noticeably to me even when not doing a side comparison to a CRT. But really at that point its just something you have to accept and is fine really unless you want to read clear text while panning fast (they all fail at this).

Well, do you have much problems with your old Samsung 204Bs?
I checked and it's a model that was released 4½ years ago...

Found it on DigitalVersus monitor shoot-out, it's not fast at all according to their pics. Basicly every screen on the market today will be faster/not as slow.
See for yourself.
http://www.digitalversus.com/duels.php?ty=6&ma1=36&mo1=101&p1=1021&ma2=52&mo2=103&p2=1026&ph=9
The screen I compared it to was also released in 2006. 5 versus 16 ms in the spec.sheet, virtually no difference in the gaming result pics. :p

The fastest IPS screens are just as fast as the fastest 60Hz TNs by the way.

Even on two typical 2 ms TN monitors, the results aren't identical. Here's an idea of how the different technologies stand up:

* 5 ms TN: 1.1 colour frame, 0.5 transparent frames (for example: Iiyama Prolite E2208HDS)

* 6 ms e-IPS: 0.4 colour frames, 0.35 transparent frames (for example: Dell 2209WA)
* Average 2 ms TN: 0.8 colour frames, 0.5 transparent frames (for example: Samsung T220)
* 8 ms C-PVA 8: 0.95 colour frames, 0.2 transparent frames (for example: Samsung F2380)
* The best 2 ms TN 2 (not including 120 Hz): 0.35 colour frames, 0.5 transparent frames (the Samsung 2253BW).

http://www.digitalversus.com/article-357-7352-38.html

Didnt say I wouldnt buy a 120hz screen just said I'm not sure if I'm into the hype. Just like an HP or Dell IPS panel, it comes with drawbacks. Do I really want to throw away 400 bucks (really 800-1200 since ill be buying at least 2 if not 3) to something thats anything short of perfect?

Sorry but I dont feel like giving away money to some corporations R&D section. Again it comes down to that whole, "I wish I could demo these monitors to see if its really worth it."

For gaming 120 is DEFINITELY worth it no question not even up for debate. The main question is can you deal with the traditional problems color accuracy and viewing angles. Text to me is easier to read at 120 and its easier on my eyes which to me is worth the other issues. And 3D is just cool if you have the eyes and stomach for it.

Back