To anyone with a 6800 series card and CS:S!

Mojo

[H]ard|Gawd
Wondering if anyone get's solid framerates above like 70fps no matter what in cs_office on a 20 person or more server.

If you do, post your specs and settings please! I'm trying to figure out if there's something wrong with my system, as my FPS dips into the 30s on that map (namely by the CT spawn) on a 20+ person server.

Mojo,
Im not sure of my framerates but I never seen a bit of chop and always have butter smooth play on cs_office. My specs are below
----------
Msi K8n Neo4 Plat Sli
Athlon 64 3200+ 10 x 250 2.5ghz
2x 512mb PQI Turbo Ram Pc 3700 2.0 7 7 3 1t
2x 40gb Maxter IDE raid 0

You forgot to include a vital component, the video card.

mojo...

my specs are in my sig... with everything set to full and running at 1024x768 I get fps drops into the 30's... its really an nvidia source issue... people are always telling me to run an amd 64 chip and i have another system 3400+ that I have run with this card and its pretty much close to the same... if you were to run a different dx like 8.1, the frames would be well over 100+ constantly..i have done this to see... its the encoding or something. there have been a few posts about the fps issues with source and the new nvidia cards and unfortunately, there have been no fixes of the issues........

Iono about the fps in CS Office but i get 177fps on the Video stress test..

* 1024x768 @ highest setting i believe.

aZn_plyR said:
no computer right now can stick to a 70+ fps...

I can ! with SLI.... 100+ FPS 1280x1024 highest everything....

But that's off topic.

I don't think you have to worry mojo... my friend has an x800 XT and even he gets FPS dips at times... the average FPS shouldn't be too bad though. What're you getting on the stress test? and what settings are you running at ?

Intel_Hydralisk said:
I can ! with SLI.... 100+ FPS 1280x1024 highest everything....

But that's off topic.

I don't think you have to worry mojo... my friend has an x800 XT and even he gets FPS dips at times... the average FPS shouldn't be too bad though. What're you getting on the stress test? and what settings are you running at ?
I get 119.16fps on the stress test with the following settings...

1280x1024
All game settings on high, Reflect world.
4X FSAA, 8X AF
Quality driver IQ

Mojo said:
I get 119.16fps on the stress test with the following settings...

1280x1024
All game settings on high, Reflect world.
4X FSAA, 8X AF
Quality driver IQ

That's fine... just don't worry about it too much and don't get bogged down by the FPS and just enjoy the game. If it's too laggy, turn the AA down a notch... at that res with 2xAA your game should still be pretty.

That's the thing, turning quality down does not change the trends.

I tried 800x600 with no AA or AF and I still had drops into the 30s.

When I'm on big servers with liek 40 or more people I get dips. it usually averages at 50-60 and dips to 30. On smaller servers it will stay up at 70. And on gameplay on LANs or at home its goes to liek 100+. It's all latency slowing it down.

ray4389 said:
When I'm on big servers with liek 40 or more people I get dips. it usually averages at 50-60 and dips to 30. On smaller servers it will stay up at 70. And on gameplay on LANs or at home its goes to liek 100+. It's all latency slowing it down.
Hmmm you're right. When I made my own server (no one else was in it), my framerates were stable from like 70-130fps. No drops to the 30s at all.

Why is this? I have a 4mbps Cable Modem, I should still be able to play on a 20 person server without cutting my framerates in half! Especially if I change to low settings, which, oddly enough, does absolutely nothing for the FPS.

i maintain 80+ with a 6800gt A64 3000+ 1gb of 2-2-2-5 pc3200 ram, but at 1024x768(laugh it up) but i also run max settings with 8xSAA and 16xAF. damn 15inch moniter.

Mojo said:
Hmmm you're right. When I made my own server (no one else was in it), my framerates were stable from like 70-130fps. No drops to the 30s at all.

Why is this? I have a 4mbps Cable Modem, I should still be able to play on a 20 person server without cutting my framerates in half! Especially if I change to low settings, which, oddly enough, does absolutely nothing for the FPS.
Well its because of where the exact server is. For example when you make a custom match/server, you could get a high connection going since the line is right there. But say the server is in another country or in the other side of the world from you, then there will be some slowdowns/lags since your connection has to send information that far and the recieve information back [But since this is in a cable line, you usually get like 30+ more ping, depending on what game your playing.] But thats pretty much it, if you want a lower latency and ping, try playing on servers near your location or states near you.

- Fred

all CS servers lag for me, now im on a 6000/768 connection and i ping around 20-30ms on a good server 80ms on a bad. all these pings will have a lag spike atleast once every 20min sometimes i will be lagged off the server. i think valve coded the network protocol on this game horribly since i can fire up ut2004 and having a better online experience on a server with a 190ms ping

Ballz2TheWallz said:
all CS servers lag for me, now im on a 6000/768 connection and i ping around 20-30ms on a good server 80ms on a bad. all these pings will have a lag spike atleast once every 20min sometimes i will be lagged off the server. i think valve coded the network protocol on this game horribly since i can fire up ut2004 and having a better online experience on a server with a 190ms ping

are u on adelphia cable?? cause they just upgraded my cable from 3mb dow 256 up to 6mb down and 768 up too :) sweeeettt

comcast,they started me out on 1500/128 back in like 2001 then doubled it to 3000/256 but if you payed $10 more they moved you to 4000/384 which we got and a couple months ago moved us up to 6000/768.im waiting for fios which is like $50 a month for 15,000/2000( thats right no typo there. gotta love fiber optic)$40 a month gives you 5000/2000

I play 1180x864, everything high, reflect world, 2xAA, 8xAF, and get around 90fps on a full office server.

shadowbreaker513 said:
I play 1180x864, everything high, reflect world, 2xAA, 8xAF, and get around 90fps on a full office server.
Do you have any special settings set in your console? (ie: Settings having to do with network latency).

I currently have:
rate 20000
cl_rate 20000
cl_updaterate 30
cl_cmdrate 31

But, as I said, I still get those huge drop offs to 30fps. In reality my average framerate is probably around 60fps throughout an entire game of 20 person office. I should also mention that my ping is fine around like 60-70ms.

My system handles CS:S just fine. I think I got it up to about 140 FPS in CS:Source stress. I dont resolution though, but I doubt it was with any AA or AF :D

Though its totally playable with 4xAA/8xAF at 1280x1024. 60+FPS in almost all conditions.

Mojo said:
Do you have any special settings set in your console? (ie: Settings having to do with network latency).

I currently have:
rate 20000
cl_rate 20000
cl_updaterate 30
cl_cmdrate 31

But, as I said, I still get those huge drop offs to 30fps. In reality my average framerate is probably around 60fps throughout an entire game of 20 person office. I should also mention that my ping is fine around like 60-70ms.

Have you tried adjusting those values according to the netgraph? I find that the game gets choppy if you get a lot of choke and the jerkiness which occurs looks similar to a GPU struggling. Type net_graph 3 in console and watch your choke and loss. They should be hovering around 0 even in huge firefights. If you're getting lots choke, lower your cl_updaterate and cl_cmdrate. The default values of 101 made the game unplayable for me until I lowered them.

Sheky said:
Have you tried adjusting those values according to the netgraph? I find that the game gets choppy if you get a lot of choke and the jerkiness which occurs looks similar to a GPU struggling. Type net_graph 3 in console and watch your choke and loss. They should be hovering around 0 even in huge firefights. If you're getting lots choke, lower your cl_updaterate and cl_cmdrate. The default values of 101 made the game unplayable for me until I lowered them.
Yeah I'll try lowering them a bit more. But I have a feeling the problem is deeper than that. As in a network latency coding optimization is needed or something.

Back