To buy or not to buy: Transporting LCD's?

KillerPotato

Limp Gawd
I currently have a 19" CRT for all of my computing uses, but being around 60 punds, it can be a huge pain to take to lan parties that I go to with my friends every couple weeks. The monitor also takes up alot of space when we cramp together on the small desks in our basements, so buying an LCD was almost a nobrainer for me other than the fact that theyre rather expensive compared to CRT's. However, after coming back from our most recent gathering, I found a small scratch in the glass on the front of my monitor, probably from something on the floor of our van on the drive home, which kindof annoys me every time i see it considering its almost in the dead center.

However, this really got me thinking of how bad it would be if this happened to a much more expensive LCD, or even to a monitor I payed for at all (I got this one for free). So I was just wondering, how easy is it to transport an LCD in a car (I'm specifically considering the dell 2005, or maybe a samsung 17inch if a 20 inch panel is too big of a pain to move)? Are dell monitors easy to just lay on their back face up on the seats or in your lap without dissasembling the stand or anything? Would a carrying strap help at all, for those of you that have them, and can they help protect the screen in transport? I think Ive seen some with nylon sheets that are attatched to the straps and just envelope your screen or something, but I've never seen them in person.

What are your peoples experiences with moving your LCD monitors around, specifically to other houses/ lan parties? I'm not sure if I should go with the Dell 2005 which I've read so much about on these forums, or to go with a lighter smaller 17 inch, or maybe even a 15 inch that I could keep as a second monitor at home and just take as my monitor to lan's.

Thanks for any help you guys can throw my way

when I moved a system I finished for someone who wanted a 17 inch LCD I just kinda placed it in the car behind the seat. One idea would be to put it back in its retail packaging. Another would be to maybe put a thick towel over it and strap it into one of your backseats.

Ive found a pillowcase fits very well over my 2000FP. That could be different for a 2405FPW...

I actually transport my dell 17" flatpanel intrenationally.. TO Germany and Japan.. with no problems. WHat I do is put a piece of cardboard a little larger then the screen over the front of the screen.. I then put a plastic bag around the monitor and just tape the plastic bag tightly around the monitor.. that way the cardboard iwll hold in place and protect the screen.. THe tape also will not leave marks on the monitor becuase of the plastic bag.. Works perfectly.

eddie500 said:
I actually transport my dell 17" flatpanel intrenationally.. TO Germany and Japan.. with no problems. WHat I do is put a piece of cardboard a little larger then the screen over the front of the screen.. I then put a plastic bag around the monitor and just tape the plastic bag tightly around the monitor.. that way the cardboard iwll hold in place and protect the screen.. THe tape also will not leave marks on the monitor becuase of the plastic bag.. Works perfectly.

Good pointer . :D

KillerPotato said:
I currently have a 19" CRT for all of my computing uses, but being around 60 punds, it can be a huge pain to take to lan parties that I go to with my friends every couple weeks. The monitor also takes up alot of space when we cramp together on the small desks in our basements, so buying an LCD was almost a nobrainer for me other than the fact that theyre rather expensive compared to CRT's. However, after coming back from our most recent gathering, I found a small scratch in the glass on the front of my monitor, probably from something on the floor of our van on the drive home, which kindof annoys me every time i see it considering its almost in the dead center.

However, this really got me thinking of how bad it would be if this happened to a much more expensive LCD, or even to a monitor I payed for at all (I got this one for free). So I was just wondering, how easy is it to transport an LCD in a car (I'm specifically considering the dell 2005, or maybe a samsung 17inch if a 20 inch panel is too big of a pain to move)? Are dell monitors easy to just lay on their back face up on the seats or in your lap without dissasembling the stand or anything? Would a carrying strap help at all, for those of you that have them, and can they help protect the screen in transport? I think Ive seen some with nylon sheets that are attatched to the straps and just envelope your screen or something, but I've never seen them in person.

What are your peoples experiences with moving your LCD monitors around, specifically to other houses/ lan parties? I'm not sure if I should go with the Dell 2005 which I've read so much about on these forums, or to go with a lighter smaller 17 inch, or maybe even a 15 inch that I could keep as a second monitor at home and just take as my monitor to lan's.

Thanks for any help you guys can throw my way

Well...I had the same problem and created a carrying case for my 2005 now I make and sell them for the 2005 for Dell 2405 monitors. No one makes anything to carry these monitors in, so if you get a 2005 and goto LANs alot then having one of my cases makes transporting you monitor easy. http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=954966

With my 2001fp, I just lay it face down in the passengers seat with a soft cloth underneath, and buckle it in.

I've got a custom-made carrying case for my 2405FPW.
Wankel made it, and the quality is much better than anything you'd be able to find in stores.

I travel a lot ... UK, India, Finland, Germany

And I take either my 2405 or 2005 with me :)

The CaseAce/GearGrip LCD Shield serves me well for either. The 2005 is really swell to transport

harshw said:
I travel a lot ... UK, India, Finland, Germany

And I take either my 2405 or 2005 with me :)

The CaseAce/GearGrip LCD Shield serves me well for either. The 2005 is really swell to transport

I use the largest geargrip LCD cover for my 2405 and it works very well.

I use the largest geargrip LCD cover for my 2405 and it works very well.

Can you show us pics?

I've heard some people say that like an inch of the monitor pokes out the side since the case isn't big enough. That alone made me forgo the GearGrip and get a custom case.

I'm curious as to how you got the 2405 to fit.

I took my 17" BenQ LCD on the plane (checked it into luggage that is) with me to Texas for my guilds LAN. I just packed it in the original box and wrapped it in a towel or 2 and it arrived perfect both ways.

The box for the 2005 is about the same size as a 19" crt and it takes very little time to box/unbox. So that's always a viable choice, safe way of transporting and still saves you room on the desk at the lan parties. (Plus lcd + box is only 25 lbs.)

The 17" samsung boxes are especially small but you need a screwdriver to take the stand on and off. (At least that's for the 712N)

So that can be a backup plan in case you can't find a grip or a easier moving solution.

Thanks for the ideas guys. The custom made 2005fp case definitely looks awesome, although the piece of cardboard and bag are somewhat more in my pricerange (if the cardboard doesnt work out for me, your cases will almost definitely be a consideration if youre still selling them by that time, but you also gave me the idea that I could make my own cheap one or just scavenge around the house for parts). It'll still be a while before I can buy an LCD, since I'm a hundred dollars or so short of the 2005fp, so maybe christmas or next month.

Just wondering though before I search around the forums, is a widescreen monitor the way to go these days? My brother bought the 2001fp a year or so ago and hes telling me that its not worth it since only brand new games support it and older games will be a pain, and I usually trust his opinion, although he is in support of me buying an LCD over keeping my monstrous CRT. Does it end up stretching the view of old games, or leaving black bars on the side? If its not worth it, I may end up getting a cheaper 19 inch sooner, but i may end up regretting not getting the widescreen if it becomes a big thing in games.

Thanks for your help all

Depends on the monitor. I know the Dell 2005fpw lets you choose to either Stretch it, or leave it at 1:1, which is with the bars on the side. I think you should also be able to set it in your driver settings?

Kevlarman said:
Can you show us pics?

I've heard some people say that like an inch of the monitor pokes out the side since the case isn't big enough. That alone made me forgo the GearGrip and get a custom case.

I'm curious as to how you got the 2405 to fit.

I'll post a pic when I get home from work. About a 1/2" of the frame pokes out the sides, but none of the screen.

What I was afraid of with the Geargrip case is that the padding just sort of sits on the front of the screen; it doesn't really wrap around the entire sides of the monitor It's a long shot, but couldn't something get wedged between th screen and the foam? For instance, if you're walking next to some bushes on the sidewalk could a branch get between the screen and padding?

Kevlarman said:
What I was afraid of with the Geargrip case is that the padding just sort of sits on the front of the screen; it doesn't really wrap around the entire sides of the monitor It's a long shot, but couldn't something get wedged between th screen and the foam? For instance, if you're walking next to some bushes on the sidewalk could a branch get between the screen and padding?

Yes that is possible. It is also possible that I could get in a car wreck on the way to a LAN and my monitor goes flying through the windshield, or rabid chipmunks attack me and am forced to beat them away with it. However, I feel that the case gives reasonable protection for the monitor and folds up nicely for storage.

Back