To Catalyst or not to Catalyst

nevamore

Limp Gawd
For a long time I've always downloaded the catalyst suite with the ATI driver. Today, it struck me that I hardly ever even look at the controls in the Catalyst suite. Should I keep installing the Catalyst suite or should I just download the drivers only? Is there something in the Catalyst driver that I can use to tweak my card (x1950pro) for better performance?

For a long time I've always downloaded the catalyst suite with the ATI driver. Today, it struck me that I hardly ever even look at the controls in the Catalyst suite. Should I keep installing the Catalyst suite or should I just download the drivers only? Is there something in the Catalyst driver that I can use to tweak my card (x1950pro) for better performance?

Be careful. Part of the CCC includes the poller services that increase the clock speed when changing from 2D to 3D mode. Without those services running the card will remain at 2D clock speeds all the time.

Hmm... thats odd. I'm running ATITool and no Catalyst suite and my card is always running at max speed. I'm wondering if I should install Catalyst suite to take advantage of the underclocking while I'm just checking email or surfing. Also I can't figure out how to change anti-aliasing, etc... with something like ATITool. ATITool is nice for setting up fan speeds and overclocking though.

Hmm... thats odd. I'm running ATITool and no Catalyst suite and my card is always running at max speed. I'm wondering if I should install Catalyst suite to take advantage of the underclocking while I'm just checking email or surfing. Also I can't figure out how to change anti-aliasing, etc... with something like ATITool. ATITool is nice for setting up fan speeds and overclocking though.

I don't know anything about ATi Tool, but I do use ATi Tray Tools, and with the version that was available when I bought my card I had to install the CCC for the poller services to run, or the card stayed at 2D speeds. ATi Tray Tools has a nice utility that you can run to ensure that clock speeds are what you have them set to for any profiles. I like ATi Tray Tools because I've found the interface easier to use for creating game, overclocking, and fan control profiles.

Back