to crossfire or not to crossfire

To Croosfire or not to Crossfire

• Total voters

goud

Limp Gawd
ok I have a dilemma, I ordered 2 5870's by mistake and they are both here and paid for....I was only planning on running one as my gaming requirements are not that rigorous however now that they both are here should I run crossfire or return one and buy something else like...food?

What is really involved in crossfire,
will all games support it
How hard is it to setup,
general pluses and minuses....?

Thanks

Hey when it comes down to a video card or supper i chose supper. Unless of course i have ramean at the house! :):D

What resolution are you trying to power? If its 1920x1200 or below then send the other one back, anything above 1920x1200 you'll start seeing some benefit.

Crossfire drawbacks are mostly to do with needing a bigger power supply, cooling the cards if they're crammed together, potentially needing a mobo upgrade if you dont have 2 16x PCI-E slots.

What resolution are you trying to power? If its 1920x1200 or below then send the other one back, anything above 1920x1200 you'll start seeing some benefit.

Crossfire drawbacks are mostly to do with needing a bigger power supply, cooling the cards if they're crammed together, potentially needing a mobo upgrade if you dont have 2 16x PCI-E slots.

I am running 3 28" I-Inc's at 1920x1200 or 5760x1200 in Eyefinity

Next question, whats the best FPS these days, best graphics, most fun?

what do you mean what is the best fps? anything 60 or above is perfect. youll be hard pressed to notice anything high than 60 FPS on a 60hz monitor. as far as graphics go, anything iwth dx11 has pretty amazing graphics. metro 2033 for example.

as far as fun.. go buy sc2 cause it is frekin awesome and looks really good for a RTS

Master single HD5870 then decide if you need more power.

what do you mean what is the best fps? anything 60 or above is perfect. youll be hard pressed to notice anything high than 60 FPS on a 60hz monitor. as far as graphics go, anything iwth dx11 has pretty amazing graphics. metro 2033 for example.

as far as fun.. go buy sc2 cause it is frekin awesome and looks really good for a RTS

FPS = First Person Shootrer

Keep them for you eyefinity setup. A single 5870 works for eyefinity, but for some games it would be nice to have 2. Especially if you play a lot of fps games and need a high framerate online. Got any pics of the 3x I-Inc setup? I've got one of those same (Hannspree) screens sitting around after moving to 3x 23in Dells for eyefinity, but I'm always curious to see what that setup would have looked like.

If you're using eyefinity with 23" screens you'll need both to allow you to max out settings in games, this is a very big resolution to power 5760x1200 will need more than just 1 5870 for a lot of games.

i have 2 and i'm getting flickering in videos now. ah buggy drivers :p

the bigger question is, what psu are you using? ;)

Yeah, 2 is where it's at for Eyefinity!

I just replaced my single 5970 for 2 Matrix 5870 Platinums for a little extra headroom, and it DEFINITELY helps at those resolutions.

I'm enjoying Battlefield 2:BC at the moment. (also messing around with AVP, Arma:OA, and revisiting the MW series)

Most def a fan of crossfire myself. You will be glad you kept it especially running eyefinity

ok, thinking about keeping both.
Turns out two different manufacturers and one is a reference design the other isn't, will this cause an issue????:(

It shouldn't cause an issue. You should be fine.

And yes, keep that second card if you can afford to. Eyefinity will use all the GPU horespower it can get.

If you are the type to upgrade every 6-12 months, than sell the extra card.
Otherwise for longevity, even if you are gaming at 1920x1080, than crossfire it.

Last edited:
Interesting thread, OP I hope you don't mind me asking a couple of questions here as I have a similar quandry (though nothing ordered yet).

I've not played PC games for a few years and looking to get back into it. So I've missed out on Crysis and if I build a machine now I will want to play it utterly max'd as far as graphics/effects/quality goes (inc. ample amounts of AA & AF).

My monitor is a funny size, 23" 2048x1152. Will I see any benefit to running Crossfire/SLI (possibly even in triple) at those sort of resolutions?

Interesting thread, OP I hope you don't mind me asking a couple of questions here as I have a similar quandry (though nothing ordered yet).

I've not played PC games for a few years and looking to get back into it. So I've missed out on Crysis and if I build a machine now I will want to play it utterly max'd as far as graphics/effects/quality goes (inc. ample amounts of AA & AF).

My monitor is a funny size, 23" 2048x1152. Will I see any benefit to running Crossfire/SLI (possibly even in triple) at those sort of resolutions?

You won't be able to max out Crysis (at Enthusiast settings) at your resolution with a single 5870. AA is out of the question. I mean at playable framerates, not 10-15fps stutter.

So, we're definitely looking at an SLI or Crossfire setup. That makes things easier. Now I just have to decide which way to go...2xGTX480, 2x5970 or 3x5870??

Jeeeeez.

I cannot believe how taxing Crysis still is. It's like 3 years old!! I'm wondering if I dig out my old copy of Far Cry if that will run maxed on this new system :rolleyes:!

I will have a read of that xbit properly in a bit. Just about to leave for work.

Thanks for the info, I have been googling like mad to try and compare various setups.

My options are:

1. 2x GTX480 SLI
2. 2x 5970 Crossfire
3. 3x 5870 Crossfire

EDIT:

Just to say, I wouldn't plan on upgrading this system for a good while and would want it to be able to run most things with plenty of eye candy for the next couple of years. Alternatively, I save some money now, go for a single card solution and then upgrade the GPU next year when "the new batch" come out.

It's Crysis, it's inefficient but pretty when you have the power to run it...
Jeeeeez.

I cannot believe how taxing Crysis still is. It's like 3 years old!! I'm wondering if I dig out my old copy of Far Cry if that will run maxed on this new system :rolleyes:!

I will have a read of that xbit properly in a bit. Just about to leave for work.

Thanks for the info, I have been googling like mad to try and compare various setups.

My options are:

1. 2x GTX480 SLI
2. 2x 5970 Crossfire
3. 3x 5870 Crossfire

EDIT:

Just to say, I wouldn't plan on upgrading this system for a good while and would want it to be able to run most things with plenty of eye candy for the next couple of years. Alternatively, I save some money now, go for a single card solution and then upgrade the GPU next year when "the new batch" come out.

It's Crysis, it's inefficient but pretty when you have the power to run it...

Hrm, still can't decide what to do. I'm dithering way too much. Some people are saying the new ATI cards are a while off, others are saying this year...

The GTX480 looks good, and I could squeeze in SLI into my budget but I'm shocked that they arrived to market 6 months behind ATI yet offered only modest performance gains. It's a bit odd no? Also, I hear it's a hot mofo...

The other temptation is to get a middle of the road card for now (something that will allow me to at least build my system) and then when the new ATI cards arrive make the leap assuming they are any good.

Simply can't decide.

thanks all for your input!

I have decided to crossfire however I gave the second 5870 to my son and took his 5850(yes he bought the 5850 with his own money), so I will be running 1-5870 and 1 5850 in xfire. Everything I see says I will get 90+% of the xfire benefit and will not have to look into his hurt eyes every day......:rolleyes:
My son is taking my old 8800 and using it for phsX processor.

Just a FYI I did have to upgrade my PS, this XFX has great reviews and a rebate and price drop:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207003
I was looking at the 850watt however from my calcs it would have been overkill......
:cool:

thanks all for your input!

I have decided to crossfire however I gave the second 5870 to my son and took his 5850(yes he bought the 5850 with his own money), so I will be running 1-5870 and 1 5850 in xfire. Everything I see says I will get 90+% of the xfire benefit and will not have to look into his hurt eyes every day......:rolleyes:
My son is taking my old 8800 and using it for phsX processor.

Just a FYI I did have to upgrade my PS, this XFX has great reviews and a rebate and price drop:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207003
I was looking at the 850watt however from my calcs it would have been overkill......
:cool:

Ok so I decided to keep the board per above and so far I regret my decision.
It has been a bear to get things working, my issues:
  1. impossible to get eyefinity screens ordered correctly the wizard that asks you to click on which screen is blue, all screens turn blue
  2. impossible to play, flickering in all games with eyefinity and crossfire, shut one or the other off and everything is ok

I have reinstalled the drivers, no improvement.
Next step is to try both 5870's as I am running 1 5870 and 1 5850 right now, this is a supported config so I am not hopefull going to 2 5870's will help

I am running 3 28" I-Inc's at 1920x1200 or 5760x1200 in Eyefinity

Next question, whats the best FPS these days, best graphics, most fun?

If you are running an Eyefinity array that large then you should use them both.

Ok so I decided to keep the board per above and so far I regret my decision.
It has been a bear to get things working, my issues:
  1. impossible to get eyefinity screens ordered correctly the wizard that asks you to click on which screen is blue, all screens turn blue
  2. impossible to play, flickering in all games with eyefinity and crossfire, shut one or the other off and everything is ok

I have reinstalled the drivers, no improvement.
Next step is to try both 5870's as I am running 1 5870 and 1 5850 right now, this is a supported config so I am not hopefull going to 2 5870's will help

What motherboard do you use?
I'm assuming you connected the X-Fire bridge.
Which card is the master and which is the slave?
What ports do you use to connect monitors?
Which driver version?

What motherboard do you use? P5K Premium, 5870 in x16 PCI-E, 5850 in 8xlane
I'm assuming you connected the X-Fire bridge. YES, both bridges are connected
Which card is the master and which is the slave? 5870 is mater
What ports do you use to connect monitors? HDMI native, Display port - VGA, DVI-VGA, my monitors only have VGA and HDMI, eyefinity works fine with single card or both cards in non--xfire mode
Which driver version? latest non-beta

Thanks!

lot of issues with crossfire with eyefinity.
I would rather run one card, overclock the hell out of it and run stressfree eyefinity and maybe play with lower eyecandy on.

crossfire isnt just plug and play.

lot of issues with crossfire with eyefinity.
I would rather run one card, overclock the hell out of it and run stressfree eyefinity and maybe play with lower eyecandy on.

crossfire isnt just plug and play.

proof that a consensus does not necessarily yield the correct answer :rolleyes:

so the fact that my eyefinity was working fine without crossfire and now doesn't means that my dongle is the problem....? I don't follow your logic? Help me understand please?

There are any number of reports of DP dongles messing with EF.
I'm not saying that was the problem, just putting it out there.
The symptoms you describe are consistant with the DP dongle issues I've read about.

Other than that....I'm really out of ideas for you.
If I recall.....did your son take one of your 5870 cards? If you can borrow or beg another 5870, plug it in and see if your problems go away.....then you'll know the culprit is the lesser card.

It's too bad, because Crossfire really has been plug and play for me. I don't necessarily think the scaling is as good as SLi, but I really haven't had one technical issue with CF or EF.

There are any number of reports of DP dongles messing with EF.
I'm not saying that was the problem, just putting it out there.
The symptoms you describe are consistant with the DP dongle issues I've read about.

Other than that....I'm really out of ideas for you.
If I recall.....did your son take one of your 5870 cards? If you can borrow or beg another 5870, plug it in and see if your problems go away.....then you'll know the culprit is the lesser card.

It's too bad, because Crossfire really has been plug and play for me. I don't necessarily think the scaling is as good as SLi, but I really haven't had one technical issue with CF or EF.

I have had also had a largely "hassle free" X-fire+Eyefinity experience.

Using the active Accell adaptor, 2 Matrix 5870s, and 3 Dell 2209WAs. I was having a couple of the "link has failed" error every now and then, but it must have been drivers, because it has since gone away. (been about a month, now).

It may take a bit of troubleshooting- but I wouldn't give up, yet...the extra HP will DEFINITELY come in handy with 3 monitors that large! (as mentioned above)

I would start by checking each card individually. Then move forward from there.

This seems like a good place to ask. I'm building a new rig like most and I'm struggling with the GPU decision. I have the sapphire HD5970 4g on order, but the guys I'm ordering from are giving me the run around. SO, if they cant deliver on this card and I cant wait to order it from somewhere else what card(s) should I get. I am mainly looking at ATI as I had eyefinity in mind ( I hope it works) and I am already ordering 3 x 27" monitors. I've been looking at the following:

- 2 x HD 5870 2gb eyefinity 6 version (crossfire)
- 2 x HD 5970 2gb (crossfire)
- 1 x HD 5870 2gb or HD 5970 2gb

OR should I just wait for the 4gb version. I obviously want to play eyefinity at high rez etc. Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated!

The rig specs: i7 960 + Rampage III Extreme + 6g 1600 + 1000w psu + Haf x + SSD

This seems like a good place to ask. I'm building a new rig like most and I'm struggling with the GPU decision. I have the sapphire HD5970 4g on order, but the guys I'm ordering from are giving me the run around. SO, if they cant deliver on this card and I cant wait to order it from somewhere else what card(s) should I get. I am mainly looking at ATI as I had eyefinity in mind ( I hope it works) and I am already ordering 3 x 27" monitors. I've been looking at the following:

- 2 x HD 5870 2gb eyefinity 6 version (crossfire)
- 2 x HD 5970 2gb (crossfire)
- 1 x HD 5870 2gb or HD 5970 2gb

OR should I just wait for the 4gb version. I obviously want to play eyefinity at high rez etc. Any help/advice will be greatly appreciated!

The rig specs: i7 960 + Rampage III Extreme + 6g 1600 + 1000w psu + Haf x + SSD

I did the same type of rig a few months ago, and decided on 2 of the 2GB 5870s (Asus Matrix ROG).

I knew I wouldn't be doing the "6" thing, so that's why I opted for the Matrix instead of the 6 cards.

I would avoid the 2x5970 in any variety. I did COUNTLESS hours of research when I had a 5970 and wanted to add another one, and anything beyond 2 GPUs when using Eyefinity does NOT seem to scale well, if at all. The 5870s are pretty overclockable with adequate cooling, so get yourself a couple, of crank 'em up! (Mine are at 940/5000 memory with NO voltage increase. I prefer the slower clocks over the added heat the over volting causes)

I'm struggling with the GPU decision.
To be perfectly honest, I would use nvidia products.
I have two multi-monitor setups.
One EF with two E6 ASUS 2GB 5870s
One Surround with two GTX 260-Core 216s. (This one was just to get an idea what nvidia had to offer)

Nvidia's stuff is just easier to set up and use, period.
I like EF but I don't think CF scales as well.
I've had to dick around too much with my EF compared to Surround.

You can't really tell the difference in IQ in a "Pepsi Challenge"

Allowing for graphics horsepower and generational improvements, both are identical in their performance and IQ.

Ok I have now tried both 5870's instead of 1 - 5870 and 1 5850 and I am experiencing the exact same problem....flicker to the point that you can't even see the game let alone play it..
any ideas?:confused:

i'm actually using the passive vga one. sometimes i get some error lines on 2 of the monitors for a sec, like a flash, in one spot near the edge. i'm seeing if this problem went away since i stabilized my overclock. hope so

Ok I have now tried both 5870's instead of 1 - 5870 and 1 5850 and I am experiencing the exact same problem....flicker to the point that you can't even see the game let alone play it..
any ideas?:confused:

Might be an expensive experiment, but I would definitely try the active adaptor, just for kicks.

Also, have you tried any other drivers besides the latest ones? Seems counter-intuitive, but I had to go back to the 10.5a, as the 10.7s were giving me some weird issues I didn't have before. (not so much flicker, as crashing and link failure)

Worth a shot mabye...good luck!

I would definitely go back to 10.5a. 10.7 breaks crossfire because ati has a shitty driver team. hopefully 10.8 fixes it all.. i'm itching to get another 5850

Back