To disable guest account or not?

imzjustplayin

[H]ard|Gawd
I don't understand, microsoft provides a guest account yet they firmly believe you should keep it disabled, so what is the point of providing it if they strongly believe you should disable it? If the guest account does what it says, then there shouldn't be a security issue with having a guest account.

One of the big reasons to turn it on is for file sharring in a home network. If you don't need it for this then turn it off.

Huh? LOL I find that post very funny.

Why?

When I say file sharing I mean like home network file and printer sharing. The better way is to make accounts on each machine using the same user name and password or if running business versions of windows the network password saving to gain access. The easy way is to enable the guest accounts on the machines so others can get to sharred files and printers.

Ok but since windows NT 3.1, you had guest accounts, why?

Hell I have a windows domain at home.

I generaly will just setup extra accounts on the machines in a home network so they will log into each other without issue.

One of the big reasons to turn it on is for file sharring in a home network. If you don't need it for this then turn it off.

:confused: It's turned off by default, I've never turned it on, and have never had any problems sharing files over my LAN.

Back