To Intel Or Not To Intel

mastephens

Limp Gawd
Ok so I got a brand new PowerBook G4 15" 1.5ghz processor, 1.5Gb ram the end of last year before the updated versions came out. Now the Intel chips are out and my mom needs a new laptop so my dad said he would give me 1700 for a new MacBook Pro if I give him my PowerBook. Should I do it or not? I have read of some of the issues people are having but that is expected. If you were in my shoes what would you do?

Personaly I would get the macbook and applecare in case they do have any issues with it. Then just put some cash to adding some ram.

swatbat said:
Personaly I would get the macbook and applecare in case they do have any issues with it. Then just put some cash to adding some ram.

Agreed. The new powerbooks are definitely WAY faster than the older G4 model, the only problem is using a few programs, especially G4/G5 optimized ones.

It'll be like using a dual 1.8 ghz G5 in your lap, minus 10000 pounds.

Sold my 15" PB last week and ordered my new MacBook Pro. That tells you my opinion. I liked my PB a lot, it was just tooooooo slow when doing many things at once.

4b5eN+EE said:
wait for reports of any bugs

I honestly don't think there will be any, its not like intel is a new chip manufacturer, and apple is at its frist day at sea either. Apple has one of the best QA departments around, I would be suprised if any major issues are reported.

I would do it, If I could afford one I would be there with money in hand.

yes I would take up on the deal, but do get the applecare

I want a macbook pro

but you could play it safe and wait for a second revision - wouldn't be a bad idea...i mean this is brand new stuff

Well I think the AppleCare is a good investment for a laptop but a better investment on a Desktop with a monitor as the one AppleCare covers both.

Figure it is new hardware for apple. Applecare covers the entire notebook(minus the battery) for 3 years. Also gives you phone support if you need it. Also are you a student since you are talking about parents? You can get some discount on the stuff. The thing with notebooks is that if anything fails on them the warranty has pretty much paid for itself. Figure that even something simple failed on your powerbook out of the first year. Say a hard drive. Figure 100 for a drive and another hundrend for a shop to put it in. Mind you many people here will do this for themselfs but a lot of the apple notebooks are a pain in the ass to do this with(the ibook g4 is 47 screws if I remember right). Thats 200 bucks for a hard drive failure. Also apple has been good in the past when issues come up with there units. An example of this was the early g4 powerbooks(ti) had a problem with the paint chipping on the palm rest. Apple considered this a defect and was replacing the palm rest under apple care.

pistola said:
I honestly don't think there will be any, its not like intel is a new chip manufacturer, and apple is at its frist day at sea either. Apple has one of the best QA departments around, I would be suprised if any major issues are reported.

And don't forget that Asus is manufacturing the new Macbooks, and they've been known for building high quality notebooks for some time now.

Now he is not sure if he wants to spend 1700 on a laptop for my mom, so he wants to get her an iBook. Great! Now my life is over! No Intel Mac for me right now.

mastephens said:
Now he is not sure if he wants to spend 1700 on a laptop for my mom, so he wants to get her an iBook. Great! Now my life is over! No Intel Mac for me right now.

Get with you mom and make her think she wants the bigger screen. Besides show how they are getting a bargin because of the extra ram and stuff.

Back