To those with a G0 Q6600

My Q6600 is my GF's pc now. 3.6 since the launch. Did a lot of comparison benchmarks on the merits of 450x8 and 9x400 and found the Q6600 loved the extra mem speed. I've lost track at how old that system is...

Speedstep I feel is the key to longevity, it's not running 3.6 unless it needs it.

I replaced my watercooled Q6600 @ 3.6 GHz after about one and a half year. I could not stand the amount of heat that the CPU generated, especially together with a 8800GTX. It got replaced by a E8400, also at 3.6 GHz. The Q6600 is still running fine, although at stock speed.

@3.0 after a few years in my parents HTPC. Would push it higher but don't see it necessary, not to mention the G31M-ES2L board hit's a wall with quads at 333FSB, any over would not work unless it's a dual core.

I dropped the core volts to 1.3 @ 3.2 GHz the temps are at 46 running P95. I spent all last evening trying to get more out of this chip but this is all she has, you can't be disappointed with a 33% OC. Hopefully it keeps the kids happy for a few years or till dad decides he needs needs another upgrade.

I had my Q6600 at 3.6Ghz (400x9) using a GA-EP45-UD3R with the BIOS vcore set at 1.4125 (I got a good chip I think). Afterwords, I went to a 2600k and had a noticeable increase in fps in the games I played.

I still use my Q6600 in my gaming / office PC (the PC i am posting from now!) I have a i7 2600 in my VMWare box but I will stick with the Q6600 for a bit longer. In my many years of PC building, back to the days of the 286 (I actually had an 8086) the Q6600 is the best CPU I have ever had. When its time I am going to make a frame and put it on the wall!

Currently running my G0 at 3.2GHz / 357x9. It's been a real trooper, right up there with the my old Athlon XP-M 2500+.
VID is 1.30v but I'm giving it 1.318v due to both the OC and the vdroop. It seems like it'd go even faster if I could improve the cooling; it's an AC Freezer 7 with those silly 775 pushpins.

I had my Q6600 at 3.6Ghz (400x9) using a GA-EP45-UD3R with the BIOS vcore set at 1.4125 (I got a good chip I think). Afterwords, I went to a 2600k and had a noticeable increase in fps in the games I played.

I'm using the same board with my Q6600 at 9x400 and I'm only using 1.31v!
You have a 2600k though so my bragging doesn't really matter. :D

I had mine at 3ghz for a while and eventually managed 3.4ghz... I'm not giving you details on the overclock because quite frankly they were all bogus. I had a hell of a time with stability at those clocks (probably not cpu or motherboard though, I'm still having stability issues at stock).

At this point in the game it's such an old processor that I'm done trying to make it my main rig. I'm actually upgrading to a new SB-e chip this week and a whole new system. I've just had enough

Put it into a good secondary rig, HTPC or server...those Q6600's may be old but they ain't no slouch either.

Currently running my G0 at 3.2GHz / 357x9. It's been a real trooper, right up there with the my old Athlon XP-M 2500+.
VID is 1.30v but I'm giving it 1.318v due to both the OC and the vdroop. It seems like it'd go even faster if I could improve the cooling; it's an AC Freezer 7 with those silly 775 pushpins.

After weekend upgrade (new HSF & TIM), I'm at 3.5GHz (388*9) @ 1.4v.

The real kicker is how much cooler it runs at that speed with the new HSF compared to the old one. Used to get up to 80° at 3.2GHz, now I don't even hit 60° at 3.5GHz.
Replaced the AC Freezer 7 with a Xigmatek SD1283 Night Hawk, and AS5 with TX-2.
It's those damn Socket 775 pushpins, I'm pretty sure...

lapped it, running at 3.6 on a P35-DS3R at 1.4v with a Xigmatek S1283 with dual Yate low speeds in push pull. Doesn't go over 60c. Been that way for years. It's now my wife's rig.

I got mine and my brother's to 3.4 with little difficulty and nice temps. 3.6 was very hard to keep stable without some pretty elaborate work. It'll do it but it ran so well at 3.4 that I didn't input the extra hassle.

Back