To XP or not to XP (laptop)

acee

Gawd
So, I've been thinking of downgrading my ASUS G1S-B2 vista home to XP Pro SP2.

BUT

the catch is ASUS doesn't support XP pro anymore for their G series. All their drivers are associated with Vista compatibility. But after doing some researching I found on notebook review forums that there was a written topic about downgrading to XP pro on G series ASUS and it also had drivers.

Now the decision is.. should I do it? This laptop is usually for anime and manga reading, surfing, homework, and some games (not crysis or does other high end required games).

I'm going to sound like an ass for this, but.....how can we answer that for you?

This is your computer, used by you, and only you. It needs to fit your needs, and no one else can tell you that, in the same way no one else can tell you what to wear today or what to eat for dinner. Use whichever you have a legal license for, and whichever you feel like running whenever you are using your laptop. It sounds like the laptop was meant for Vista, which means Vista should be running just fine for that system. If you don't like Vista, and you have a license for XP, and you can find drivers for every component, then go with XP. No one else is going to be able to answer those questions but you.

God, how many "To ____ or not to ____" threads am I going to see here? How supremely dumb. As for your question, I think your answer is in the post above mine.

No one else is going to be able to answer those questions but you.

Wrong... I can because I know everything;)

Seriously, is there a specific reason that you want to go back to XP? Is there a piece of software or a program/application that is not functioning well? I can't imagine that it's a hardware problem as the laptop was designed for Vista.... If it is a compatibility issue, maybe explain exactly what it is and we can help...

But of course, if it's simply that you don't like Vista, that's fine as well.... just curious as to why you want to make the switch.... that's all..

God, how many "To ____ or not to ____" threads am I going to see here? How supremely dumb. As for your question, I think your answer is in the post above mine.

You are going to hear ALOT my friend. tons and millions of To __ or not to. Its the way of life in this forum. Some of us can't make the right decision and when they do, it will screw up their systems or whatever. While if we can get some opinions as to switch or not then at least the user wouldn't feel to guilty of himself for screwing up eventually if an accident happens.

You are going to hear ALOT my friend. tons and millions of To __ or not to. Its the way of life in this forum. Some of us can't make the right decision and when they do, it will screw up their systems or whatever. While if we can get some opinions as to switch or not then at least the user wouldn't feel to guilty of himself for screwing up eventually if an accident happens.

It's not the actual questions, it's the actual phrase, "To [do this] or not to [do this]". LOL!

I would have basically said the same thing digital_exhaust just said. Now if you just flat out don't like Vista, that's one thing, and understandable, but just give it a fair amount of time to really get use to the OS. It's different. With the laptop basically just being used for "anime and manga reading, surfing, homework, and some games," I'm guessing Vista can meet those needs for you.

However, if there was some compatibility issues with some of your software, or maybe even some external hardware, it would certainly change things. Otherwise, I personally don't see any reason to downgrade (or as some people like to say, "upgrade to XP")... unless of course, like I mentioned earlier, you just flat out don't like the changes Microsoft made with Vista. I don't know how long you've had this system, but if you've seen other threads about system performance, you'll know Vista will improve over time (as Superfetch learns your habits and the initial indexing has done it's job).

Some of us can't make the right decision and when they do, it will screw up their systems or whatever.
You make it sound like you are deciding on heart surgery or not. Also, if you are worried about screwing up your system, leave well enough alone. You have to decide which is a better choice for you, and it is as simple as that.

Back