Too hot to handle? (4870x2 & MemIO)

Psychor

Limp Gawd
I've had my 4870x2 for a few months now running on air and I've come to the realization
that you just have to live with the fact that it heats up like a devil. However, it wasn't until
recently when I took a look at my Everest log that I did a double take.

MemIO was climbing well into 100C+ with the fan at 45-60%. This occurs even while
playing relatively "tame" games such as Warhammer Online. I'm not overclocking the
card and I haven't noticed any artifacting.

Is this "normal" for these cards?

IDLE:

gpu_temp_00.png

LOAD (3DMark Vantage; Extreme):

gpu_temp_01.png

Thanks.

Do you have the fan set on automatic or did you manually set it at that speed and let the temps get that high?

I didn't think the drivers would let any part of the chip get over 100c, I thought the max was around 98.

Your 2nd GPU is much cooler and the temps look pretty normal. I guess that's the one that gets fresh air from the fan?

I've noticed on my 4870 1Gb the MemIO is always about 5-10c higher than the rest of the gpu.

I had an MSI 4870 1GB that always crashed. The mem was hitting mid 110s. I replaced it with a sapphire and it's better now. Memory is usually

I think that lower 100s are on the highway to the danger zone. I'm seeing memory temps in the 60s @ idle. MSI I returned and had problems with idled in the 80s.

EDIT:
talking about MEMIO sensor.

im not exactly sure what the MEMIO is but many electronic chips are designed to work over 100 C. PWMs on some higher quality Intel mobos can hit 115 C safely and within spec. i wouldnt automatically jump to conclusions. my 4870x2's main GPU was idling at 80 C as well. i think almost all of them do. it was hitting ~100 C under load, which was also within AMD spec. i did a fan trick and now temps are way way down, but i wasnt concerned enough to buy a 3rd party cooler if turning up the stock fans didnt work. it was within spec.

Back