Too hot to handle: Twinmos SP 512mb $55

What are the chances of it being the good chips? I believe that the 256mb dimms are always Winbond UTT, what are the chances of this stuff being UTT?

Plugging that model into google, is this utt or new bh-5? If its the new bh-5 this is ubah scorching hawt.

Pete84 said:
What are the chances of it being the good chips? I believe that the 256mb dimms are always Winbond UTT, what are the chances of this stuff being UTT?

It's guranteed by TwinMOS to be the CH-5 (called UTT by many people, though it's really CH-5) It's the Speed Premium, not value. The value is hit or miss.

http://www.twinmos.com/dram/dram_p_sp_ddr400.htm

Guaranteed as in THIS WILL HAVE CH-5. Though, there were some mistakes at the factory, and they put BH-5 on some. I'm sure if you get one of those, you wont mind ;)

Bullitt said:
Plugging that model into google, is this utt or new bh-5? If its the new bh-5 this is ubah scorching hawt.

I cannot find a non UK dealer that sells the new BH-5 (Speed Premium 433)

WOW, $55 for 512mb CH-5???? Why oh why must I work part time!!!!!!!

Now that stuff would love a DFI NF4 Ultra-D :D

Pete84 said:
WOW, $55 for 512mb CH-5???? Why oh why must I work part time!!!!!!!

Now that stuff would love a DFI NF4 Ultra-D :D

It likes my 250, but I'm PSU limited. I'll hopefully get a new PSU and aquagate mini in the next month or two to really take this system far.

But come on people, there are only 24 pairs of this stuff left last time I checked!

neisius said:
would a heat spreader be usefull?

God no. If you had real heatsinks with fins and everything and air blowing on it, that would be best. Heatspreaders dont help. It's like throwing a thermal blanket on the memory. I have an 80mm fan and a PCI slot blower going on my memory right now at just 3.2v.

since when did ch5 become good? i thought it always sucked and was incompatible.

/sitting here with 2yrold ch5

Since it was $55 for a 512MB stick...that's pretty good for ANY kind of PC3200, and I betcha my DFI will be loving it more than the early-revision stuff I've got in there now.

Yah, especially for the price.

(cf)Eclipse said:
Winbond (?) UTT:
relatively new, known to be in OCZ VX, some new sticks of twinmos sp or mushkin blue. it's similar to bh-5, in the fact that it likes lots of voltage and generally likes 2-2-2 timings. needs more voltage than bh-5, but does not have some of the same issues with higher timings.

MNM said:
so is this some good stuff or not?

Well, with mine I hit DDR510 2-2-2-x stable in memtest with only 3.2v, not even close to it's full voltage potential. It's no BH-5, but it's close enough.

what is the diff between this and bh-5? so ch-5 is really utt? whats the diff in performance between them? i might get it for the dfi when the venice cores come out

bench261 said:
what is the diff between this and bh-5? so ch-5 is really utt? whats the diff in performance between them? i might get it for the dfi when the venice cores come out

CH5 == UTT, same crap. Or if they aren't they're close enough that I don't know and don't have to care.

CH5 is a little more juice hungry than BH5 and not quite as picky about timings, but otherwise fairly similar.

ashmedai said:
CH5 == UTT, same crap. Or if they aren't they're close enough that I don't know and don't have to care.

CH5 is a little more juice hungry than BH5 and not quite as picky about timings, but otherwise fairly similar.

so these babies (ch-5) can do 2-2-2-5 at around 250fsb at 3.2 - 3.4 volts?

bench261 said:
so these babies (ch-5) can do 2-2-2-5 at around 250fsb at 3.2 - 3.4 volts?

If you look at Robberbaron's sig (started the thread & posted again further down) he's got some running 2-2-2 at DDR 510 with 3.2V. No guarantees of course like with any overclock, the store & manufacturer are in the clear as long as it runs stable up to the rated setting. But it's some good shit. Even if you didn't want it for overclocking, it's a hot price for a stick of 512MB PC3200.

BTW the CAS latency & TRAS are mostly pointless, it's the middle two numbers you should be watching.

ashmedai said:
If you look at Robberbaron's sig (started the thread & posted again further down) he's got some running 2-2-2 at DDR 510 with 3.2V. No guarantees of course like with any overclock, the store & manufacturer are in the clear as long as it runs stable up to the rated setting. But it's some good shit. Even if you didn't want it for overclocking, it's a hot price for a stick of 512MB PC3200.

BTW the CAS latency & TRAS are mostly pointless, it's the middle two numbers you should be watching.

cool thx...hope these stay ch-5 for awhile longer. with avg case cooling, would it safe to be running these memory at such volts?

bench261 said:
cool thx...hope these stay ch-5 for awhile longer. with avg case cooling, would it safe to be running these memory at such volts?

Decently done air-cooling with no serious impedements should be fine, although get too much higher and you might have issues.

The CH-5 bit isn't a temporary thing as far as I know, it's on the manufacturer's spec sheet and everything.

bench261 said:
GUARANTEED. TO. BE. CH-5.

I have two fans on mine, as once they get to 255MHz/DDR510, they get hot to the touch and I get a few errors in memtest. The fans make the errors go away completely at that speed.

XP-90 overhanging the slots, inside a CM Stacker with 3 front 120s, 2 rear 80s and a 120, a side 80, and a top 80, plus the funny mobo fan...figure I ought to be able to do okay? ^_^

Came at a really good time too, my girl's getting my 2.4C and the OCZ Performance Series stuff that was in there, and the only thing I hadn't gotten yet was the memory to replace it in my new DFI nF4 UT.

Parts are everywhere right now...the guts and boxes of three computers in a small apartment...

Not until I get my damn floor back, and all the parts in their respective cases...that memory's about the last part I need tho so soon.

I feel your pain, small apt. here to. I got shit everywhere, all i have left to get is a new venice to slap in place. lets see, I got stuff under the bed, in the closet, an antec SOHO case at a friends house. cant wait to finally get this thing together.

Nate

My experience with CH-5:

2-3-2-5 was tightest at any speed. Loosening timings did not allow higher overclocking.

Max O/C
1:1 235fsb ddr470 2-3-2-5
5:4 265fsb ddr424 2-3-2-5
3:2 265fsb ddr353 2-3-2-5

CH-5 ram will not run up to spec in asynchronous mode. I have read many forum posts with the same results. Steer VERY clear if you have a 2.4c or the like. My processor hit 275+ fsb before my friends memory maxed out (bh-5 apparently). Would replace this ram cept I paid $275 for it.

mell1n said:
My experience with CH-5:

2-3-2-5 was tightest at any speed. Loosening timings did not allow higher overclocking.

Max O/C
1:1 235fsb ddr470 2-3-2-5
5:4 265fsb ddr424 2-3-2-5
3:2 265fsb ddr353 2-3-2-5

CH-5 ram will not run up to spec in asynchronous mode. I have read many forum posts with the same results. Steer VERY clear if you have a 2.4c or the like. My processor hit 275+ fsb before my friends memory maxed out (bh-5 apparently). Would replace this ram cept I paid $275 for it.

I'm pretty sure CH-5 does well in AMD systems, sorry. Though even in AMD's, a cas of 2 is more stable than 2.5 at ANY speed.

robberbaron said:
I'm pretty sure CH-5 does well in AMD systems, sorry. Though even in AMD's, a cas of 2 is more stable than 2.5 at ANY speed.
Has this definitely been tried? Eg on an NF4 with UTT that does 2-2-2-5 @ 230MHz - would it work and run using 2.5-2-2-8 @ 250MHz?

dexx said:
Has this definitely been tried? Eg on an NF4 with UTT that does 2-2-2-5 @ 230MHz - would it work and run using 2.5-2-2-8 @ 250MHz?

Main thing with CH-5 is it's a fricking glutton for voltage...if you can keep it pumped with enough, and cooled, and a little bit of luck, I don't see any reason why not.

And dude, read the OP's sig. "DDR510!!! ▌2-2-2-0▐ Only 3.2V!"

dexx said:

Don't run it with 2.5 CAS. It's unstable as a house of cards with a 2.5 of cas. A CAS of 2 is much more stable. What I've found with mine is that neither do 255MHz by themselves (at 3.2v, at least), but ran as a pair (not dual channel, as I'm on socket 754, mind you) they are much more stable at higher speeds. They are really quite interesting sticks.

robberbaron said:
Don't run it with 2.5 CAS. It's unstable as a house of cards with a 2.5 of cas. A CAS of 2 is much more stable. What I've found with mine is that neither do 255MHz by themselves (at 3.2v, at least), but ran as a pair (not dual channel, as I'm on socket 754, mind you) they are much more stable at higher speeds. They are really quite interesting sticks.

Guess they're even more closely related to BH-5 than I thought. :p

I'll remember that when FedEx gets here with my memory Friday. Thanks again for the tip! ^_^

ashmedai said:
Guess they're even more closely related to BH-5 than I thought. :p

I'll remember that when FedEx gets here with my memory Friday. Thanks again for the tip! ^_^

Once difference I notice though is that tRc cant be as tight as BH-5. They dont seem to like a tRc of 7, though this didnt inhibit me of getting a latency score of under 40ns in everest, which was my biggest goal with this stuff.

Rule of thumb, if I buy something off Newegg, the price will go down. If I look at something and decide against it, then look at it again later, the price will have gone up.

ashmedai said:
Rule of thumb, if I buy something off Newegg, the price will go down. If I look at something and decide against it, then look at it again later, the price will have gone up.

Take one for the team and go get a Lian Li V1000B then!

Nah, got myself a CM Stacker, which is a thing of beauty.

Of course once I filled in all the empty fan slots with Panaflo H1Bs, got the crossflow fan, and the 2 extra drive cages, it drove the final sticker up higher than I wanted. This goddamn itsy bitsy upgrade I started out wanting ended up costing a whole fricking lot. But it's so pretty, I just can't stay mad at it... :rolleyes:

I was planning on a full tower Lian-Li for ages, but once I saw this thing I just fell in love. ^_^

Back