Too much juice for my E7200?

mikeczyz

Limp Gawd

Mobo is on auto voltage. Seems really, really, high, right? The thing is barely oc'd. Prime 95 immediately stops working. CoreTemp shoots up to 50C.

Here are the relevant pieces of hardware.
CPU INTEL|C2D E7200 2.53G 775 45N R
CPU COOLING SCYTHE Andy Samurai Master
MB GIGABYTE GA-EP43-DS3L

IMO not alarming either the voltage or the temp. On auto Gigabyte boards typically set some fairly high voltages. It looks like the Vid (stock voltage of your chip) is 1.225V from the Coretemp screen I can see part of. I am a little susprised that you did not get higher with what is a fairly substantial increase in Vcore but it happens. Which is why below I mention bumping up the mch voltage a notch and checking the memory voltage. You overclock the entire system when you OC via raising the FSB and thus must look at it as a whole system.

Intel absolute max Vcc for the CPU (Vcore) is 1.45V on the data sheet for most if not all 45nm CPUs. That said, there have been warnings around the net and one from Anandtech where I recall it was mentioned that Intel engineers told them that the 45nm CPUs do not tolerate high voltages like the 65nm CPU and recommended Voltages stay under 1.4V. However I cannot find the article where I read that.

Look for the data sheet for your CPU on Intel.com and confirm the Absolute Max Vcc it will be in the "Electrical Specifications" section of the data sheet which is found in the "Technical Documents" section. Eh never mind I linked it for you below.

I would not worry at all until you got over 1.375 volts.

50C under load is nothing, dont even be concerned until you get around 80C .

Give it the next bump in voltage available and give the mch a bump in voltage and try again. If using high performance memory make sure the memory voltage is set to the higher end of the manuf specs, look it up on the manuf site, do not go by specs in an ad from where you bought it.

Absolute Maximum and Minimum Ratings
Symbol - Parameter- -----------------------------------Min ------- Max ---- Unit ---- Notes1, 2
VCC ----- Core voltage with respect to VSS ---–0.3 --------1.45------ V ---------------------

http://download.intel.com/design/processor/datashts/318732.pdf see page 17

However as mentioned above, the buzz is you wanna stay at or under 1.4V for long life.

Thank you very much. I'm gonna give this a shot when I get home from running errands!

I am having a hell of a time getting this processor to do anything. I'm gonna keep trying as time permits.

I just put a system together today for my bro. I went for the gold first try lol. 400x9.5 with all settings on auto...rock solid at 1.296v core and 3.8ghz. This chip is amazing.

Back